Update on Camera Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

aufmdeich

Re: Update on Camera Shipments

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 am

How about this: My baby girl will be born at the end of december and I wanted to capture her first breaths in his freaky world in 2.5k Raw! ... :D
Waiting for the update...
Martn Bondzio
aufmdeich Film&WebTV
Düsseldorf, Germany

Andrew Deme

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 am

I am at the very final stages of building a rocket and launching myself into space....if I can get a BMC before next week I will be able to film the launch and also me wandering around Mars.

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 am

Congrats aufmdeich my second will be born around my birthday next year (March). I too, would like to film this in 2.5k RAW:) haha

blackhillfilms

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 am

None of my 4 grown up kids believed me a few months ago when I told them I am going to make a feature film, they all thought I was crazy... and now after hearing me say "my Blackmagic camera will be arriving in a few days" for four months, they are about to commit me to a lunatic asylum..... help!!

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 am

blackhillfilms wrote:None of my 4 grown up kids believed me a few months ago when I told them I am going to make a feature film, they all thought I was crazy... and now after hearing me say "my Blackmagic camera will be arriving in a few days" for four months, they are about to commit me to a lunatic asylum..... help!!

Four months? Surely it's heading toward the end of the 5th month soon... it's about time they sent you off:) To be honest, I really think there is more to this story... I am expecting that my delivery won't take place until at LEAST April/May of next year.... but by that time I will have an Sony F5 and won't be looking back:)

Andrew Deme

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am

Who's worried about kids when I have a rocket launch coming up...geez, priorities guys !!

Margus Voll

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

Then it will be a lot difference in preferences.

For me Sony seems really closed and hard to use platform in post sense.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

My arms are getting cut off in two months. I need to know how it feels to hold and shoot with a BMCC. I won't be able to post in this forum neither.

:cry:

JEsus
Jesus Soriano

ckmayeux

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:54 pm

If anyone is interested or willing to risk what could be a fake offer, supposedly there is a BMCC that comes with a 120gb ssd as well as a black magic battery sdi-hdmi converter for $3350.00 is Australia. Kind of suspicious to me because it says it was listed 06/11/2012. I thought I'd pass it along anyhow.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cotteslo ... 009078292#
Ordered From: B&H
Order Date: 09/16/2012
Delivery: Not yet....

Eric Santiago

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:Who's worried about kids when I have a rocket launch coming up...geez, priorities guys !!

Sorry Andrew get in line, you of all people know that we all have rockets here ;)

Eric Santiago

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 pm

ckmayeux wrote:If anyone is interested or willing to risk what could be a fake offer, supposedly there is a BMCC that comes with a 120gb ssd as well as a black magic battery sdi-hdmi converter for $3350.00 is Australia. Kind of suspicious to me because it says it was listed 06/11/2012. I thought I'd pass it along anyhow.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cotteslo ... 009078292#

Gotta be fake, thats a PL mount ;)

Wow I wonder what frenzy will be for that one at Oz.

Them Aussies are crazy ;)

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

lol @ jesus ... reminds me of the black knight in monty pythons holy grail ;)

ckmayeux wrote:Kind of suspicious to me because it says it was listed 06/11/2012. I thought I'd pass it along anyhow.

Why do you think it's suspicious because of the date? Couldn't it very well be one of the lucky few how received one of the "trickling" camers? (as the few fellas in Asia) .. seems like they hit Asia/OZ first somehow...

ckmayeux

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:lol @ jesus ... reminds me of the black knight in monty pythons holy grail ;)

ckmayeux wrote:Kind of suspicious to me because it says it was listed 06/11/2012. I thought I'd pass it along anyhow.

Why do you think it's suspicious because of the date? Couldn't it very well be one of the lucky few how received one of the "trickling" camers? (as the few fellas in Asia) .. seems like they hit Asia/OZ first somehow...

I know it could be one of the lucky ones but in June? I thought the only lucky people that got one as early as June were testers and reviewers like John Brawley and Phillip Bloom. It seems to me that somebody made this listing back in June because they suspected delays on the camera and that there would be at least 1 sucker that would fall for it due to the overwhelming demand.

Federico Toraldo

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 pm

ckmayeux wrote:
Soeren Mueller wrote:lol @ jesus ... reminds me of the black knight in monty pythons holy grail ;)

I know it could be one of the lucky ones but in June? I thought the only lucky people that got one as early as June were testers and reviewers like John Brawley and Phillip Bloom. It seems to me that somebody made this listing back in June because they suspected delays on the camera and that there would be at least 1 sucker that would fall for it due to the overwhelming demand.

I think that the date is day/month/year...so the day is today...
Federico Toraldo
Filmmaker & Visual Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5010387/

ckmayeux

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I think that the date is day/month/year...so the day is today...[/quote]

touche

Federico Toraldo

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm

ckmayeux wrote:I think that the date is day/month/year...so the day is today...

touche

:D
Federico Toraldo
Filmmaker & Visual Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5010387/

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

lol that was my understanding as well.. that it was from today actually... now i get why you were sceptical ;)

ckmayeux

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:lol that was my understanding as well.. that it was from today actually... now i get why you were sceptical ;)

Don't get me wrong, I am still skeptical. Think about it, with all the bellyaching and desperation for this camera, that seems like a prime scam for a crook. Wire $3350.00 in hopes that the items ship to you from Australia? What would stop him from just collecting the money and never shipping anything? Or even if they do ship something and send you a tracking number it doesn't mean it's a BMCC. I'm not much of a gambler and I certainly wouldn't take that gamble.

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm

ckmayeux wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am still skeptical. Think about it, with all the bellyaching and desperation for this camera, that seems like a prime scam for a crook. Wire $3350.00 in hopes that the items ship to you from Australia? What would stop him from just collecting the money and never shipping anything? Or even if they do ship something and send you a tracking number it doesn't mean it's a BMCC. I'm not much of a gambler and I certainly wouldn't take that gamble.

Hey of course.. 100% agreed on that. That's another bad thing about our situation.. we're a prime target for these kind of crooks unfortunately.. :?
As much as I dislike it but.. doesn't Paypal have some sort of feature for that? At least that a rip off isn't that easily done...

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 pm

AJ's Tip of the day:

If you have not already purchased any BMCC specific accessories for your tool bag, DONT!
Last edited by AJ.infinite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckmayeux

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:25 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:AJ's Tip of the day:

If you have not already purchased any BMCC specific bits for your tool bag, DONT!

Bits as in screwdriver bits?

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm

as in additional accessories, like cages, and so on.

grinleon

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Why?
Leon Grin

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm

grinleon wrote:Why?

Until we know exactly whats going on with this camera, it just seems like a good idea. Do as you please, I already have the bmcc viewfactor parts, and SSD's myself, I'm feeling like from here on out, I'll wait until I have the camera in hand before gearing up like I did.

We have no idea when we will get these camera's, even if their (BMD's) reasoning for the delays is true, if the situation remains the same, some will not see camera's until 2014 at the rate that they are shipping. I'm top three on the list at my dealer, but my dealer is thinking they are going to refund money paid for pre orders if the situation doesn't seriously progress by December, so I could possibly be stuck with a grand worth of stuff I wouldn't need.

grinleon

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

You're right but human optimism is a serious disease.
Leon Grin

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 pm

grinleon wrote:You're right but human optimism is a serious disease.

After the 5 posted updates, (4) Grant Petty, and (1) Kristian Lam, we still know nothing really.

Leaves a lot of room for optimism :?

melissa lancaster

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree. I wish i hadnt purchased the battery extender, cage, special wide lenses, etc. I spent about $1,000 as well.
Wishing i had known what we "kindof" know know earlier. I am still hoping they will come back and surprise us all with an announcement that we will somehow get them this year but we ll see. ????

AJ.infinite wrote:
grinleon wrote:Why?

Until we know exactly whats going on with this camera, it just seems like a good idea. Do as you please, I already have the bmcc viewfactor parts, and SSD's myself, I'm feeling like from here on out, I'll wait until I have the camera in hand before gearing up like I did.

We have no idea when we will get these camera's, even if their (BMD's) reasoning for the delays is true, if the situation remains the same, some will not see camera's until 2014 at the rate that they are shipping. I'm top three on the list at my dealer, but my dealer is thinking they are going to refund money paid for pre orders if the situation doesn't seriously progress by December, so I could possibly be stuck with a grand worth of stuff I wouldn't need.

Luke Armstrong

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Would be nice to hear that update that Kristian Lam said would come in a day or two.

I just find it hard to relate to the way that this is being dealt with from the consumer perspective - I don't have any previous experience with BMD. John Brawley mentioned that BMD don't like to be too specific with their information generally, that's just the way they are. I respect that to an extent, but for the sake of accountability I'd hoped BMD would release more information at stage - company policy surely shouldn't be a factor?

I knew when I pre-ordered it would be a few months late - no sweat, I factored for that. No one thought it would drag on this long with so little info though. When I pre-ordered my AF101, it took 3 months for it to arrive following release. I was given a realistic delivery date from the day of release however. Maybe I was naive to expect the same from BMD. I need a camera and as an owner/operator its too expensive to rent a camera for every job - it doesn't make financial sense for me.

I also feel let down that everything that has been said by BMD reps & spokespeople so far regarding timescales appears to have been largely out of whack with reality, and implied everything is literally about to ship which is agitating.

I've bought all the toys to go with.

I ordered on June 8. I'm 65 in the queue. I can't imagine seeing my camera showing up this year - but who cares?

I don't know what else there is to say really.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Bill Rich

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:36 pm

I understand the reluctance to give news that could potentially cause a mass cancellation of orders for your camera.. but we are your customers that have invested in your product and deserve to know what is really going on.

Even your resellers are considering giving refunds.. They too are in the dark, and have given up guessing delivery dates. It's not good business and it tarnished their good names as well.

We are all pulling for BMD and the BMCC.. but goodwill only last so long.. We need to know what is going on.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Dave Dominguez

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Just give us the update already! Sheesh...
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Had a bad day so excuse me if this seems rude, but where the BLEEEEEEEEEEEP is the update? Was my previous post of Wednesday actually true, because I was being sarcastic....

Jeez you guy's even have delays on your delay updates!

Taikonaut

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:I am at the very final stages of building a rocket and launching myself into space....if I can get a BMC before next week I will be able to film the launch and also me wandering around Mars.

You have more chance of reaching Mars than getting a BMC :lol:

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Hopefully over the next week(s), their production will ramp up to "normal" levels. If their "normal" production capacity is fairly large (and I doubt the normal speed of production is 5 cameras a week), surely things should go quite quickly from then on? Talking of not getting the camera "until 2014" is a tad exaggerated. I pre-ordered mine quite late, at the end of September and I am "only" 134th in line with CVP, which is apparently their biggest European reseller, so I doubt there are more than a couple of thousand orders of BMC cameras worldwide. I might be totally wrong about this though :|

Either way: BMD, ramp it up! :mrgreen: :lol:
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

RichDorato

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm

We're entering the time where industry typically breaks until next quarter, 2013. It would be very hard, and fairly unheard of, to pull off mass production and shipments during the holiday season.

Jan. is a safe bet to plan on "big" updates.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 pm

RichDorato wrote:We're entering the time where industry typically breaks until next quarter, 2013. It would be very hard, and fairly unheard of, to pull off mass production and shipments during the holiday season.

Jan. is a safe bet to plan on "big" updates.

Well, let's not lose hope just yet :)
www.christianschmeer.com

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Bmd's delays, silence, and delayed updates is killing hope.

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:12 pm

dividuser wrote:- i've seen where bmd manufactures these units (and no, i can't tell you as i'm under NDA). they DO NOT have the capacity to accommodate the production and testing of more than a few dozen units per month (best case scenario assuming acceptable glass)

Please, can somebody from BMC officially confirm or deny this? At least that would put the potential waiting time into perspective...
Although it's strange if true because.. even without any sensor problem how would they have planned on shipping the MFT version in December if they can only assemble a few dozen per month?

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

dividuser wrote:all,

this is a great camera, but there are 1000s of existing preorders (meaning people who ordered the camera before its official release). you're going to have to wait for a while longer.

here are some facts:
- i've seen where bmd manufactures these units (and no, i can't tell you as i'm under NDA). they DO NOT have the capacity to accommodate the production and testing of more than a few dozen units per month (best case scenario assuming acceptable glass)
- unless you preordered in april, there is no way your distributor is going to ship your camera before may or june of 2013.
- this isn't that far away! if you are a serious filmmaker you should at least have a $600 gh2 to use until then.

this is not a bad thing! it is a new product and bmd had no idea it would be so popular. we need to allow bmd to take their time to get everything right. better that than a faulty camera in your hands, no?

First time poster telling us about "some facts" :roll: Let's see...
www.christianschmeer.com

Christine Peterson

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 pm

dividuser wrote:- i've seen where bmd manufactures these units (and no, i can't tell you as i'm under NDA). they DO NOT have the capacity to accommodate the production and testing of more than a few dozen units per month (best case scenario assuming acceptable glass)

It's against company policy to share manufacturing details, but rest assured - this rumor is not true.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Jason Davis

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

It's against company policy to share manufacturing details, but rest assured - this rumor is not true.

it's obviously much less than than a few dozen

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you can dispel that rumor. It's annoying that people would come on here and spread misinformation because they think they're funny. It's quite immature actually. Thanks for chiming in and letting us know, Christine.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm

dividuser Mrs. Peterson just put a lid on your "in the know" status.

whats next?

C A R

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm

dividuser wrote:all,

this is a great camera, but there are 1000s of existing preorders (meaning people who ordered the camera before its official release). you're going to have to wait for a while longer.

here are some facts:
- i've seen where bmd manufactures these units (and no, i can't tell you as i'm under NDA). they DO NOT have the capacity to accommodate the production and testing of more than a few dozen units per month (best case scenario assuming acceptable glass)
- unless you preordered in april, there is no way your distributor is going to ship your camera before may or june of 2013.

so which is it?

a few dozen cameras per month X 7 months = ~200 pre-orders to get through before regular shipping commences.

-or-

1000s of preorders / few dozen per month = five years before the pre-orders are fulfilled.

at least get you math right next time.
strongforthefuture.com | @scntfc | https://vimeo.com/48374201

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm

but again, we have no idea... and we should wait to hear from BMD. It's just that not only are we waiting on the cameras, we are waiting on promised info that is past the said time "a day or two" "few days" either way it's late.

Bill Rich

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

EDIT;
I had another longer post based on dividuser's post.. and I wrote it before I saw Christine's post dispelling his claims..
So I'll leave just this..

I am pulling for you BMD.. Please don't let your camera become obsolete before you can get it to your customers.

Blackmagic step up! We really need to know what is going on!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Ryan Best

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 am

Whatever happened to that update...??? I'm so disillusioned with the way rumours about unit production/camera shipment are squashed flat within minutes (which would clearly indicate that BMD are aware of the estimated numbers and we the consumer are being left in the dark), yet we wait several months, weeks, days for an "honest" update regarding a product that many of us have invested our last and hard-earned money into.

We understand that BMD are making an affordable solution for aspiring filmmakers. As a collective we are rooting for you and extremely appreciative of your efforts to deliver the BMCC, we truly are. We have supported our ambitions as well as yours by making this purchase, but the underlining factor is the conduct shown by BMD regarding the lack of "informative" updates has become for many - inexcusable.

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 am

Ryan Best wrote:Whatever happened to that update...??? I'm so disillusioned with the way rumours about unit production/camera shipment are squashed flat within minutes (which would clearly indicate that BMD are aware of the estimated numbers and we the consumer are being left in the dark), yet we wait several months, weeks, days for an "honest" update regarding a product that many of us have invested our last and hard-earned money into.

We understand that BMD are making an affordable solution for aspiring filmmakers. As a collective we are rooting for you and extremely appreciative of your efforts to deliver the BMCC, we truly are. We have supported our ambitions as well as yours by making this purchase, but the underlining factor is the conduct shown by BMD regarding the lack of "informative" updates has become for many - inexcusable.

Are you a part of some large scale attack on BMD's forum or something? Seriously, this is like the 20th post I've read in the past few hours from a first time poster... Where did you all spring from? Why now?
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:
Ryan Best wrote:Whatever happened to that update...??? I'm so disillusioned with the way rumours about unit production/camera shipment are squashed flat within minutes (which would clearly indicate that BMD are aware of the estimated numbers and we the consumer are being left in the dark), yet we wait several months, weeks, days for an "honest" update regarding a product that many of us have invested our last and hard-earned money into.

Are you a part of some large scale attack on BMD's forum or something? Seriously, this is like the 20th post I've read in the past few hours from a first time poster... Where did you all spring from? Why now?

If you look at the user count, there are 20 plus guest online at any given moment. Maybe people are being motivated to post??? I dont know, but BMD does need to make some official updates pretty quick, as they have told us we would receive weekly updates, but in reality it has been the same update over and over again.

Ryan Best

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:31 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:

First and foremost, if you read what was written above, how on earth do you come to the conclusion that this is an attack on BMD... I have invested in the BMCC and like many others I am waiting for my pre-order to arrive. I have been watching this forum topic since the first page (probably before you) in hope of finding out some information (sometimes it's better to watch/listen) and when I choose to comment is completely my choice as this is an open forum.

Let's not have this discussion again Luke, cheers!

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:35 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:

I guess frustration has reached critical levels :roll:
www.christianschmeer.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography