Update on Camera Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David form BMCUSER

Re: Update on Camera Shipments

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 am

I don't see any attacks, only frustrated customers and company who's not delivering in a timely fashion. I suspect as frustration levels continue to rise with this delay, more and more first time posters will sign up and voice their displeasure. It's just a bad/sad situation for both sides. I know BMD is trying their best get things done. They could help/hurt their cause by releasing more details/updates so who knows what the ____ is going on.

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 am

Ryan Best wrote:
Luke Armstrong wrote:
Ryan Best wrote:Whatever happened to that update...??? I'm so disillusioned with the way rumours about unit production/camera shipment are squashed flat within minutes (which would clearly indicate that BMD are aware of the estimated numbers and we the consumer are being left in the dark), yet we wait several months, weeks, days for an "honest" update regarding a product that many of us have invested our last and hard-earned money into.

We understand that BMD are making an affordable solution for aspiring filmmakers. As a collective we are rooting for you and extremely appreciative of your efforts to deliver the BMCC, we truly are. We have supported our ambitions as well as yours by making this purchase, but the underlining factor is the conduct shown by BMD regarding the lack of "informative" updates has become for many - inexcusable.

Are you a part of some large scale attack on BMD's forum or something? Seriously, this is like the 20th post I've read in the past few hours from a first time poster... Where did you all spring from? Why now?

First and foremost, if you read what was written above, how on earth do you come to the conclusion that this is an attack on BMD... I have invested in the BMCC and like many others I am waiting for my pre-order to arrive. I have been watching this forum topic since the first page (probably before you) in hope of finding out some information (sometimes it's better to watch/listen) and when I choose to comment is completely my choice as this is an open forum.

Let's not have this discussion again Luke, cheers!

Sorry, perhaps it was just coincidence that you posted tonight. I didn't mean any offence. Clearly your comments are in line with how we are all feeling, but if you do read the forum as you say, you'll know that quite a number of posts have been made tonight that were intended to spread misinformation.

Your comment about being "disillusioned with the way rumours about unit production/camera shipment are squashed flat within minutes" makes no sense to me given what you've said about wanting information. Perhaps you could elaborate.

If you look at my posts you'll notice I have been here since the day the forum was started. I don't see how that is relevant though - a little petty.

As you say, this is an open forum, so if others wish to ask you questions then they should be free to do so!

Cheers.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:05 am

I think he means that it's weird how BMD finds the time to post about rumours not being true, while they don't seem to find the time to actually clear things up. I guess that's Non-disclosure Agreements for you...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 am

cschmeer wrote:I think he means that it's weird how BMD finds the time to post about rumours not being true, while they don't seem to find the time to actually clear things up. I guess that's Non-disclosure Agreements for you...

Good point...

c.carlos.n

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:39 am

Mr Lam, whats the good word?
Carlos E Núñez

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 am

c.carlos.n wrote:Mr Lam, whats the good word?

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 am

well, that didn't work. :roll:

The log on and off quietly technique wins again. :shock: :x

Ryan Best

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:12 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:
cschmeer wrote:I think he means that it's weird how BMD finds the time to post about rumours not being true, while they don't seem to find the time to actually clear things up. I guess that's Non-disclosure Agreements for you...

Good point...

That was my point exactly... I am lost as to why BMD would allow the speculation to continue when we all clearly want to know the same thing... UPDATES!!! I attended the European Roadshow - watched James Tonkin's short film - and then after actually having the camera in my hands - my feelings remain the same - I just want a BMCC!!!

Cameron Mckinlay

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 am

If this company gave a s--- about their reputation amongst the actual consumers of their products they would and should post an update. Because as it stands right now, IF I get a BMCC, the clock is ticking for me....im not waiting until may june next year, I would give an honest feeling about the camera and the quality of the image i can pull out of it to other filmmakers asking about the camera. But as for the company itself, they are not getting high remarks from me. That ship has sailed.
What also annoys me is the fact, like mentioned earlier, Christine is so quick to squash the rumors about shipping etc, but can't provide us any facts or info herself. Stop hiding behind your computer screen and step up to the plate and give us some valid information.
My honest feelings are that the user that mentioned the May/June delivery date is spot on with how slow BMD is moving right now. I'm sure he does have an NDA. His post also make sense as to why BMD is silent. They don't want the consumers to know the truth about their epic failure to deliver this camera because if we did, Im pretty sure over 50% would jump ship. Maybe I'm wrong. But thats a loss this company cannot afford at this point. So squash the truth as a rumor and don't tell them anything in return. Brilliant marketing idea!
Last edited by Christine Peterson on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity

Lorenzo Straight

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 am

Could, dividuser be our only friend on the inside? Who is this mystery person? :lol:
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Tom Sefton

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 7:36 am

I can't see any updates arriving until Friday at the earliest. The sensor issue that they are having is so big that a week isn't going to make a difference. I reckon 5-10 cameras per week will trickle out until early 2013 and then it will slowly accelerate. I think we will be cancelling by christmas if we haven't got a camera or some solid information.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 8:21 am

Pollenstudio wrote:I can't see any updates arriving until Friday at the earliest. The sensor issue that they are having is so big that a week isn't going to make a difference. I reckon 5-10 cameras per week will trickle out until early 2013 and then it will slowly accelerate. I think we will be cancelling by christmas if we haven't got a camera or some solid information.

Yup that's where I'm at. I'm going to wait until December to see if the MFT appears on time, and if I don't have a delivery estimate by Christmas I'll cancel.

aprilliasky

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 8:37 am

Hello Guys!

Chech this out!
http://www.blackmagicuser.net/topic/228 ... JocScXxDjI

I would rather wait a few more weeks, than to have a camera with a sensor like this! It is "better later than never".

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

aprilliasky wrote:Hello Guys!

Chech this out!
http://www.blackmagicuser.net/topic/228 ... JocScXxDjI

I would rather wait a few more weeks, than to have a camera with a sensor like this! It is "better later than never".

We've seen this already... this is something a firmware update can fix. As the link you posted explains, the Alexa has the same issue. This has nothing to do with anything....

aprilliasky

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am

You are right, but these are not facts just speculations. if you get your camera like this, it means probably you have it, but still can't use it. Till the firmware update...or else.

Nick Bedford

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 am

There's just one problem with cancelling, at least for me.

I don't end up with a camera with an image like the BMCC (or Alexa).
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 am

aprilliasky wrote:You are right, but these are not facts just speculations. if you get your camera like this, it means probably you have it, but still can't use it. Till the firmware update...or else.

So you always point at the sky and shoot video? Are you in the sky diving business? Of course you can use it...

Andrew Deme

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 am

aprilliasky wrote:You are right, but these are not facts just speculations. if you get your camera like this, it means probably you have it, but still can't use it. Till the firmware update...or else.

So what do you suggest I buy instead of a BMC for $3000 and then point at the sun ??

Margus Voll

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 am

Good point Nick!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

nikotaro

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 am

its time to cancel BMCC and start to buy Nikon D800 or D600 with Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2 SSD Video Recorder. you can get 8 bit uncompressed through HDMI output and record it with HyperDeck. the camera givs you 14bit signal transcoded in 8bit through HDMI, so you will stil have grate picture and a nice dept of filled :) and DaVinchi light is free :) so i will do this configuration, i had 2 projects and i wonted to shoot with BMCC......... but how i fill BMCC will finali come out after 6 months or more. so i will buy Nikon and HyperDeck Shuttle, i will shoot my films, earn many and if BMCC comes out i will buy it but MTF version :) so good lack for every one how is still Waiting for MBCC EF, i fill it will bi a long Waiting time :)

Andrew Deme

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 am

nikotaro wrote:its time to cancel BMCC and start to buy Nikon D800 or D600 with Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2 SSD Video Recorder. you can get 8 bit uncompressed through HDMI output and record it with HyperDeck. the camera givs you 14bit signal transcoded in 8bit through HDMI, so you will stil have grate picture and a nice dept of filled :) and DaVinchi light is free :) so i will do this configuration, i had 2 projects and i wonted to shoot with BMCC......... but how i fill BMCC will finali come out after 6 months or more. so i will buy Nikon and HyperDeck Shuttle, i will shoot my films, earn many and if BMCC comes out i will buy it but MTF version :) so good lack for every one how is still Waiting for MBCC EF, i fill it will bi a long Waiting time :)

I think the D800 is OK but be careful with the D600 as there have been complaints of a black border when sending video out the HDMI port :-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50112030

Also might be worth researching the D800 as I think cropped is sharper than Full Frame when using it for video.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/05/13/fullframeshootout/

aprilliasky

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 am

So what do you suggest I buy instead of a BMC for $3000 and then point at the sun ??

Don't get me wrong. Like I said "later".
I rather rent a camera till they fix all the problems with BMCC. I don't want to have a working tool that makes me headaches with all the extra work and hidden costs because of malfunctioning. Time is money, and if you can't hit the work till the deadline you loose clients.

I'm not skydiving, but it would be nice to make some landscape/sunset shots with the camera. As well if you are shooting maybe a videoclip with lots of decorative highlights in the background, you just may get black spots?? :oops:

I'm looking forward to own this camera with the specifications promised! None of the test videos talked about this problem so far. I think BM understands this and they decided to wait till all the repairs are ready. I agree with them!

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:09 pm

aprilliasky wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Like I said "later".
I rather rent a camera till they fix all the problems with BMCC. I don't want to have a working tool that makes me headaches with all the extra work and hidden costs because of malfunctioning. Time is money, and if you can't hit the work till the deadline you loose clients.

I'm not skydiving, but it would be nice to make some landscape/sunset shots with the camera. As well if you are shooting maybe a videoclip with lots of decorative highlights in the background, you just may get black spots?? :oops:

I'm looking forward to own this camera with the specifications promised! None of the test videos talked about this problem so far. I think BM understands this and they decided to wait till all the repairs are ready. I agree with them!

You seem to think the delays are due to repairs being made on the cameras... That's not the case, the delays are due to a shortage of good quality sensors according to the statements by BMD. This black spot issue is a separate thing.

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

So it is now Wednesday and the 1-2 day wait for the update has loooooong gone. Should we STILL be trusting what BMD reps tell us or is it NOW ok to form our own opinions without a backlash from the BMD faithful?

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:You seem to think the delays are due to repairs being made on the cameras... That's not the case, the delays are due to a shortage of good quality sensors according to the statements by BMD. This black spot issue is a separate thing.

We really don't know if the delays are due to shortage of good sensors. Like you said, "according to the statements by BMD"

I know, that I know nothing about sensor manufacturing, but how could, and why would the sensor manufacturer continue to send out defective sensors at this point, if they cant verify the sensors are 100% before they send them to BMD, should they be in the business of making sensors??? I would think that the sensor manufacturer would want to salvage their business rep by getting this taken care of months ago, but instead they continue send BMD tainted glass????? Just cant see this as the only reason these cameras are past LATE!!!

Bill Rich

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

That's a good point A.J.
Didn't Grant say in his last update that things were going slow because it took longer than expected for the sensor manufacturer to get their testing equipment up and running? Soooo.. why are they still having Sensor glass issues if they are being tested before shipping?
It doesn't add up
Is the sensor company that incompetent? Are things to the point that BMD needs cut their lossess and stop production on the current BMCC, and ramp up to their next version of the camera with a different (MFT or S35) sensor? (if that exists)
just thinking outloud here..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Eric Santiago

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm

How do the other mfg deal with this?
Sony, Canon, Panasonic, RED and ARRI all have their own elf teams making sensors?
This I find very odd.

Cuboirs

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I beleive the best way to handle the situation is for everyone to STOP posting on this site period ..Everyone is feeding into this and BMD knows it,they know we are all still gonna purchase this camera as long as were still here every day.....So best bet is hitting where it hurts and dont show any more interest believe me we'll all know when its out!....Soo carry on with youre careers and film w what you have or have access to and GOODLUCK

Joerg Plechinger

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Cuboirs wrote:I beleive the best way to handle the situation is for everyone to STOP posting on this site period ..Everyone is feeding into this and BMD knows it,they know we are all still gonna purchase this camera as long as were still here every day.....So best bet is hitting where it hurts and dont show any more interest believe me we'll all know when its out!....Soo carry on with youre careers and film w what you have or have access to and GOODLUCK

+1

bhook

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Posting on this site is therapeutic for many of us. Without this release, I might turn on one of my dachshunds. ;)

Andrew Usher

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Well, i have waited long enough, and have now placed an order for a Red Scarlet, it may be 4 times as expensive in the UK, but enough it enough. The lack of communication is what has made me decide to go this route. Still rooting for this camera though, and will pick one up next year.

Andrew.

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

The silence, and lack of follow through with what they said, is the problem.

Kristian Lam logged on and off all day yesterday without a response.
Last edited by AJ.infinite on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joerg Plechinger

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 pm

... patience pays off ... ;)

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Joerg Plechinger wrote:... patience pays off ... ;)

Choosing to preorder a blackmagic cinema camera is synonymous with patience.
Last edited by AJ.infinite on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Rich

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Cuboirs writes
I beleive the best way to handle the situation is for everyone to STOP posting on this site period ..Everyone is feeding into this and BMD knows it,they know we are all still gonna purchase this camera as long as were still here every day.....So best bet is hitting where it hurts and dont show any more interest believe me we'll all know when its out!....Soo carry on with youre careers and film w what you have or have access to and GOODLUCK

The only problem with this strategy is that we already BOUGHT the camera! The resellers have our money.. they KNOW we're interested in it..

Listen. I'm not bashing the camera, it's AWESOME!.. I'm not bashing BMD for making it.. They made this camera for US.. the filmmakers.. I think the cause of concern for many of us is we aren't getting any real information about when we can realistically expect the camera to be delivered. and some of us have plans to use the camera and have already purchased gear to accessorize the camera.. but still don't have the camera with no idea when it might arrive.. this year? next year?

For months the 'updates' have been "cameras should be delivered in 2-4 weeks.. then 4-6 weeks.. with production ramping up "Soon". sensors are not good.. then they are good.. then they are not good.. then several 'insiders' claiming the updates are not the real story..

I am willing to hang in there IF Someone from BMD is able to update us when we can expect the cameras.

When BMD put the BMCC up for sale and had resellers take ordered and accept payment.. it then becomes their responsibility when the camera is delayed to keep their customers informed regularly of it's status and when they can reasonably expect delivery. This might not be BMD's policy.. but it's good business to foster goodwill with your customers.
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Bill Rich wrote:
Cuboirs writes

The only problem with this strategy is that we already BOUGHT the camera! The resellers have our money.. they KNOW we're interested in it..

Listen. I'm not bashing the camera, it's AWESOME!.. I'm not bashing BMD for making it.. They made this camera for US.. the filmmakers.. I think the cause of concern for many of us is we aren't getting any real information about when we can realistically expect the camera to be delivered. and some of us have plans to use the camera and have already purchased gear to accessorize the camera.. but still don't have the camera with no idea when it might arrive.. this year? next year?

For months the 'updates' have been "cameras should be delivered in 2-4 weeks.. then 4-6 weeks.. with production ramping up "Soon". sensors are not good.. then they are good.. then they are not good.. then several 'insiders' claiming the updates are not the real story..

I am willing to hang in there IF Someone from BMD is able to update us when we can expect the cameras.

When BMD put the BMCC up for sale and had resellers take ordered and accept payment.. it then becomes their responsibility when the camera is delayed to keep their customers informed regularly of it's status and when they can reasonably expect delivery. This might not be BMD's policy.. but it's good business to foster goodwill with your customers.

We shouldn't have to beg for information, or explain why we deserve it. They should be tripping over themselves to explain EXACTLY what is going on to keep our business. Clearly they don't think many people will cancel their orders.

thejasonbee

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:We shouldn't have to beg for information, or explain why we deserve it. They should be tripping over themselves to explain EXACTLY what is going on to keep our business. Clearly they don't think many people will cancel their orders.

+1 Exactly right. (BTW, Luke...love your IMDB resume...well done!)

AJ.infinite

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

thejasonbee wrote:BTW, Luke...love your IMDB resume...well done!)

Agreed, well done!

c.carlos.n

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Christine, were loosing them.... update please
Carlos E Núñez

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:07 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:
thejasonbee wrote:BTW, Luke...love your IMDB resume...well done!)

Agreed, well done!

Cheers guys.

c.carlos.n

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Sr Lam ?
Carlos E Núñez

Joerg Plechinger

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:
Joerg Plechinger wrote:... patience pays off ... ;)

Choosing to preorder a blackmagic cinema camera is synonymous with patience.

True :)

c.carlos.n

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Christine Peterson??? update???
Carlos E Núñez

Darren Joy

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm afraid my faith in BMD is waning fast, purely based on the obtuse nature of their communication (or lack thereof).

It's getting ridiculous now and has turned into a case-study in how not to do PR. Young people will shake their heads, open mouthed with incredulity while studying this in universities in the not too distant future.

I completely understand BMD not issuing manufacturing details and figures, frankly anyone who expects otherwise is deluding themselves. I also reject any notion that BMD aren't working hard to resolve this, of course they are, it's in their interest to provide cameras to anyone who wants one. This is hardly convenient for BMD, I'm sure it's very frustrating for them, and I don't doubt BMD has the best of intentions.

That said, intentions are one thing, actions are another.

By treating customers this way, without even the common courtesy of a regular update (regardless of the content) after having accepted money for a product and then failed to deliver it, is tantamount to ignoring the customer and hoping they will shut up and go away, and that is contemptuous.

(yes I know we buy from retailers, please don't point out the obvious, BMD have taken (our) money from the the retailers)

There are a lot of worrying posts on this thread about the state of BMD's manufacturing capability which I will not comment on, Christine is quick to point out that "there are a lot of rumours flying around", frankly this is an obvious result of the lack of facts flying around, you reap what you sow.

This is an incredibly easy problem to solve (the communication one), BMD simply issue an update, every Friday at COB; regardless of the situation, issue an update anyway, and if you say you will issue an update, follow through on it, even if the information you were waiting on hasn't materialised. You only have to look at the tone of posts in this thread immediately after an update and the decline thereafter as promised updates are missed to see the difference it will make. By updating on a Friday, those idle thumbs (which would otherwise be playing with the camera they don't yet have) are less likely to spend their weekend posting complaints on this forum. You can always issue extra updates if news worth sharing comes in, this will only gain you extra credit. Really, that's all it would take to turn things around...

I've never bought a BMD product before, when I first spoke to the video guy where I work his entire demeanor changed the moment I mentioned BMD and he refused point blank to consider or discuss any BMD product and was very dismissive of them. I was quite shocked and left with an impression he was rather negative, it is with considerable regret I am starting to see his point of view. My experience of BMD so far is that you design good products, but are treating your customers with contempt, you might not mean to be, but you are.

Your reputation is being decimated here, why aren't you doing something about it? :|

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Well written djj!

John Bartman

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

djj wrote:I'm afraid my faith in BMD is waning fast, purely based on the obtuse nature of their communication (or lack thereof).

It's getting ridiculous now and has turned into a case-study in how not to do PR. Young people will shake their heads, open mouthed with incredulity while studying this in universities in the not too distant future.

I completely understand BMD not issuing manufacturing details and figures, frankly anyone who expects otherwise is deluding themselves. I also reject any notion that BMD aren't working hard to resolve this, of course they are, it's in their interest to provide cameras to anyone who wants one. This is hardly convenient for BMD, I'm sure it's very frustrating for them, and I don't doubt BMD has the best of intentions.

That said, intentions are one thing, actions are another.

By treating customers this way, without even the common courtesy of a regular update (regardless of the content) after having accepted money for a product and then failed to deliver it, is tantamount to ignoring the customer and hoping they will shut up and go away, and that is contemptuous.

(yes I know we buy from retailers, please don't point out the obvious, BMD have taken (our) money from the the retailers)

There are a lot of worrying posts on this thread about the state of BMD's manufacturing capability which I will not comment on, Christine is quick to point out that "there are a lot of rumours flying around", frankly this is an obvious result of the lack of facts flying around, you reap what you sow.

This is an incredibly easy problem to solve (the communication one), BMD simply issue an update, every Friday at COB; regardless of the situation, issue an update anyway, and if you say you will issue an update, follow through on it, even if the information you were waiting on hasn't materialised. You only have to look at the tone of posts in this thread immediately after an update and the decline thereafter as promised updates are missed to see the difference it will make. By updating on a Friday, those idle thumbs (which would otherwise be playing with the camera they don't yet have) are less likely to spend their weekend posting complaints on this forum. You can always issue extra updates if news worth sharing comes in, this will only gain you extra credit. Really, that's all it would take to turn things around...

I've never bought a BMD product before, when I first spoke to the video guy where I work his entire demeanor changed the moment I mentioned BMD and he refused point blank to consider or discuss any BMD product and was very dismissive of them. I was quite shocked and left with an impression he was rather negative, it is with considerable regret I am starting to see his point of view. My experience of BMD so far is that you design good products, but are treating your customers with contempt, you might not mean to be, but you are.

Your reputation is being decimated here, why aren't you doing something about it? :|

Here, here!

Taikonaut

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm

The problem with BMD is they are treating customers poorly. The delay in itself warrant compensation if the manufacturer is serious about doing business.

BMD should be shipping out a free copy of Resolve 9 to everyone who pre-ordered the BMC as a goodwill gesture for the unnecessary delays they've been through and allow to keep the software even if they chose to cancel. This is the least they could do and can do it but they won't and I find it compound their attitude as uncaring.

Should people start boycotting BMD products from now on to teach them not to mess with their customers?

Bill Rich

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Seriously. I don't care about any of that.. I just want my camera.. if it's not ready to ship.. I want to know why.. and I want to know when to expect it..
It just really blows me away how poor their customer relations is for such a progressive company.
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Until you hand over a signed warranty card and register the camera, NONE OF YOU are customers. Your grievances are with the resellers who duped you into preordering. They have your cash, not BMD. Again: you are customers of the gosh darn resellers. BMD is trying to deliver a great product. The designer's law of three says "good, fast, cheap. Pick two." Let them give us a great product at a great price. They're having problems at great expense to themselves and until they have your cash in hand they owe you nothing. What would you rather have? A great working product in your hand that took a little longer to get to you, or a faulty rushed product you have to send back for repairs? Either way, you're out time and money. Let Blackmagic work.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

mikem004

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

I agree. It's understandable that a new product can have some delays (though 4 months is ridiculous) but the information blackout is the most frustrating. I preordered this camera in July for a shoot I wanted to do in October. Now it's November, my shoot was pushed to December... and I still have no idea when I'll even be getting this camera.

What is a trickle of cameras? What retailers are they being sent to? When can we expect a ramp up? Why haven't you gone to another manufacturer? Perhaps you should send some people so a 6 Sigma course so they can get their act together.

I ordered from Safe Harbor, and after I saw the "we're getting things worked out and will ramp up shipping soon" in September, I waited until last week to e-mail them and ask what happened. They literally have no idea when they will be receiving any cameras.

So how long are we supposed to wait? Should I switch to something else? And how on earth can you have a release date of December for your new iteration of the camera when the first iteration doesn't even exist?

Infuriating.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography