¿Does the BMCC EF work with any Canon lens?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rafael Molina

¿Does the BMCC EF work with any Canon lens?

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 pm

¿So, in the end The Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF mount works with any Canon lens, no matter if it's EF-S?
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: ¿Does the BMCC EF work with any Canon lens?

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Rafael Molina wrote:¿So, in the end The Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF mount works with any Canon lens, no matter if it's EF-S?

Yes
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

ronhaley

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 pm

No - a lot of canon EF lenses don't work. e.g. I have version 1 of the 24-70 2.8 L. i understand it doesn't work. There is a thread that lays out what works.
I believe that since the original shipment of the BMCC, BMD has made no effort to rectify the situation.

Ron Haley

Darren Joy

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 pm

No.

Although the spec says "The original EF compatible mount model lets you use Canon and Zeiss lenses with full electronic control of your lens iris and more.", there's a long list of Canon EF lenses which don't work on the BMCC EF.

Most common is that the aperture does not respond, and is stuck in wide open. The number will go up and down on the screen, but the aperture does not change.

Somewhere on this forum (and likely others) there is a lens incompatibility list detailing lens that won't work, and some that will :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4651

Rafael Molina

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks to everyone, yes, I've seen that thread, but I guess I just saw a single EF-S lens that has been tested on that list. I don't own many lenses, but between the ones I own I've given a chance to the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, and has been working well. I want to buy the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus lens and perhaps others; But I still not sure if all of the EF-S lenses work well. It's even awkward that an EF lens won't work.
Last edited by Rafael Molina on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rafael Molina
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF

Rafael Molina

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 9:50 pm

djj wrote:No.

Although the spec says "The original EF compatible mount model lets you use Canon and Zeiss lenses with full electronic control of your lens iris and more.", there's a long list of Canon EF lenses which don't work on the BMCC EF.

Most common is that the aperture does not respond, and is stuck in wide open. The number will go up and down on the screen, but the aperture does not change.

Somewhere on this forum (and likely others) there is a lens incompatibility list detailing lens that won't work, and some that will :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4651

¡Woops! Many EF-S lenses have been added since then, thanks I just should have watched for it. Cheers.
Rafael Molina
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF

Return to Cinematography