BMPCC 'OK' button sticks. How big a problem?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

chrisschiller

BMPCC 'OK' button sticks. How big a problem?

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Finally got my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera today (YEAH! - after exactly 5 months of waiting.)

Seems to work as expected except that the 'OK' button sticks. It doesn't snap back or go in consistently.

Knowing how long I've waited and how long service would likely take, I'm wondering if this is going to be a big problem for me in production, or can I "make do" for now and hope it works itself looser over time?

Anyone whose got their can tell me how much do you need an 'OK' button to work consistently (I can go without metadata entry for a while at least. Unless I want everything labeled with a string of single letters.)

I called the non-800 number for service in the US but didn't feel like waiting (and paying for) an over 25 minute wait to hear what I expect to be the answer.

Chris Schiller
Christopher Schiller

Chris Whitten

Re: BMPCC 'OK' button sticks. How big a problem?

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 pm

I use the 'OK' button all the time.
You're going to need to use the menu in the field, especially to change white balance. Also, the 'ok' button activates the zoom in for focus.
Get it fixed.
Chris Whitten

chrisschiller

Re: BMPCC 'OK' button sticks. How big a problem?

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am

The menu can be accessed and used fully without ever hitting the OK button. The only thing I haven't been able to do that I might want to is get the 1to1 focus function. The button has loosened up a bit over the last few hours, but, I can't press it fast enough to get the focus zoom to work. I can only get the Scene metadata menu to come up from the first click.

All in all, I'm hoping the button gets looser so it becomes a non-issue. Of course I'd like a fully functioning unit, but, I need to see what else this sucker can do (and maybe not do,) before I decide whether sending it in is worth the bother.

I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but, for only a thousand dollars for the outstanding quality, I was willing to put up with a few quirks. If more problems develop, I may reassess, but, I need to shoot something significant to test it out first. (footage of my wife's cats, however cute, is not a true test.)

Chris Schiller
Christopher Schiller

Return to Cinematography