Remote power on/off or sleep

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

PZach36

Remote power on/off or sleep

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 4:18 am

Hello,
Is there a way to make the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4k camera power off and on remotely?

We are using it for a live streaming camera, and would rather not have to get ladder out every time we want to turn it on and off again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Moreira01

Re: Remote power on/off or sleep

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am

I would be interested in an answer, too. I didn't buy one yet and wanted to know if it is possible to turn it on and off with a smart plug? This way works with several other BM products like the ATEM Mini, Hyperdeck Shuttle and so. Does it work with the Pocket Cinema 4k, too?
If it hurts the camera I wouldn't like to do it..

oceanus

Re: Remote power on/off or sleep

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 pm

I was interested in this question too, and also posted about this on this forum, but did not find an answer, so I asked BM support. (Specifically, my question was about leaving the camera power switch on and controlling the power with a switch on the power cable to the aux battery.) Here is the reply from BM support-

Thank you for reaching out about this particular workflow.

I reached out to a repair technician and they did express some concerns with that workflow.

If you leave the power switch on by default, and use a remote switch to turn it on or off, then you may short the power module.

This is something we do not recommend doing.

Return to Cinematography