How good is the super 16mm sensor?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James Mayo

How good is the super 16mm sensor?

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Please enlighten me...i just started to learn more about technical side of the cameras...

is this the same with canon 60d? if not, is it better?
is it the same with 3ccd cameras? @_@
does it affect the quality of the image?

forgive me for this stupid questions :(
James Mayo
Up and Coming Filmmaker

adamroberts

Re: How good is the super 16mm sensor?

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm

The sensor is from the same family as what is in the BMCC (EF and MFT).

The sensor is smaller than the 60d sensor but it is a sensor that has been optimised for video rather than stills.

It can deliver 13stops of dynamic range and the camera records to 10bit ProRes 422 HQ, which is a professional codec rather than the 8bit h264 consumer codec used in the 60d. It will also offer 12bit compressed RAW in the near future.

A cameras performance is not just based on the sensor but the colour science behind processing the data from the sensor and the codec the data is eventually written to.

James Mayo

Re: How good is the super 16mm sensor?

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm

adamroberts wrote:The sensor is from the same family as what is in the BMCC (EF and MFT).

The sensor is smaller than the 60d sensor but it is a sensor that has been optimised for video rather than stills.

It can deliver 13stops of dynamic range and the camera records to 10bit ProRes 422 HQ, which is a professional codec rather than the 8bit h264 consumer codec used in the 60d. It will also offer 12bit compressed RAW in the near future.

A cameras performance is not just based on the sensor but the colour science behind processing the data from the sensor and the codec the data is eventually written to.

thanks adam! :)
this helps a lot!!!! Maybe i'm just used to dslr sensor that's why i'm a little bit confused... @_@
James Mayo
Up and Coming Filmmaker

Return to Cinematography