Raw, Green Screen, After Effects workflow

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Steve DiMaggio

Raw, Green Screen, After Effects workflow

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 am

Can anyone help with this, I might be using a green screen and I am trying to grip how I would do this in after effects

I am guessing
grade frame, make composition, then all the green screen stuff after that (key light) does that sound right?

Margus Voll

Re: Raw, Green Screen, After Effects workflow

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 am

You can also do it other way round and grade after vfx is completed.

Depends on your needs.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

popcornflix

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 6:12 am

Also, if you want that extra bit of quality, you can make two copies of the footage in Resolve. Grade one to emphasize the green and contrast to make it easier to pull a great matte, and the other grade for subject matter (beauty pass). Key the green/contrasty copy, set Keylight to Show Matte, and then use that footage as a Track Matte in AE for the beauty pass footage.

HTH

Steve DiMaggio

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 6:17 am

No resolve here, doesnt work on my macs, how would I do it the other way around? In AE you grade one frame and then import the rest as a clip basically

popcornflix

PostSun Oct 06, 2013 3:52 am

You can tell AE to import the DNG files as a sequence, and then use the Camera Raw controls to non-destructively grade the footage.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/589874

Same idea still applies: use two copies of the RAW footage, one graded stong green and high-con, and another ignoring the green and graded for beauty. Use the green high-con to cut your matte, then use it as an alpha channel for the beauty pass.

HTH

Steve DiMaggio

PostSun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

cool man! I will have to get trying on this, reason I was asking is I almost done with a screen play about my experiences as a cab driver, all true stories and I was thinking about green screening the shots instead of actually driving around

Return to Cinematography