pocket camera with old nikon lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

romcho

pocket camera with old nikon lenses

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi there,
I want to purchase the pocket camera & am considering using Nikon lenses with it. I have absolutely 0 experience with lenses. My sister has 3 old metal cased lenses from her Nikon stills camera not being used. My Questions:

1) Would like to know if they’re at all compatible, what type of adapter/mount I would need?
2) Will there be some decisive visual errors occurring?
3) Can I use automatic zoom with these lenses on a pocket or do i have to zoom manually?

Standard lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI
NIKKOR (1977-1981)

Midrange zoom lens
Nikon 28-70mm
f/3.5-4.5 AF and AF-D (1991-1999)

Longrange zoom lens
Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6
NIKKOR AF (1987-2000)

Kind regards

MMedia

Re: pocket camera with old nikon lenses

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi, the pocket camera is nearly three times crop than a full frame camera so the 50mm will be just under a 150mm lens.

I would suggest looking at the SLR Magic 12mm mft lens which would roughly be a 35mm.

Wimhouse

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi,

1: They all work with the camera + adapter f.i. Novoflex MFT/NIK
2: No they are all quite long and the pocket uses a small sensor (image circle als large enough)
3: No. You have tot zoom manually

tip: buy some ND filters for your lenses (for the 50mm, so you can use the nice bokeh)

Regards,

Wim

adamroberts

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 1:55 pm

You can use them on the BMPCC. You'll need a Nikon to MFT adaptor.

They were all designed for 35mm stills, also known as full frame. So when used on the BMPCC you will find the field of view greatly reduces. All of the lenses you list will be telephoto when used on the BMPCC. Non of them will give you wide shots.

The crop factor for the BMPCC when compared to full frame as about x2.88.

So for example the 50mm would be similar to shooting with a 144mm on the old Nikon SLR.

You could look at the Metabones Speedbooster which is an adaptor that has a focal reducing element in it that reduces the crop by 0.71. So the 50mm then gives you a similar FOV as using a 102mm lens on the BMPCC.

There is no auto zoom on the BMPCC. No mater what lens you use.

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I use nikons all the time on my pocket--- well not all the time, but I do use them.

This crop factor business may be confusing and lord knows I have talking in such terms as it just adds unnecessary math unless you are specifically trying to adapt one FoV to another FoV.

Let's look at the pocket camera this way, it has a S16mm sensor. Ok, so with a S16mm sensor, let's start with the lens which closely matches what we see with our eyes-- this isn't a really easy task since vision is pretty complicated-- but let's just pick a lens which we will call a "normal lens," which approximated what we see with out eyes. On S16mm I find, personally a 16mm lens to be "normal" meaning it is close to the fov i'd get looking at a room (and conversely, I find a 32 about normal on 35mm 3-perf, which is just about 2x the size of S16mm film.. but this is another conversation).

Ok, so we have a 16mm lens as our normal lens-- then as we go down, to say a 12mm lens, we get wider, then an 9mm wider still ect. And if we go the other way, to a 25mm, or a 32mm, the lenses get longer-- more telephoto on our little camera.

So all your nikon lenses, like most of mine, will be longer than we would normally want. They can work wonderfully, until you get into situations where you can't back up the camera any more (and also longer lenses compress foreground and background where as wide lenses exaggerate it. They also have an effect on the perception of motion to and from the camera, this is something you'll have to start to see as you work with the camera.)

If you're looking for cheap lenses, in nikon mount (nikon to mft mounts are pretty cheap. I have one which was about $30 and works well enough-- though all of my lenses are 100$ manual), then Rokinon makes the cine-lenses which go down to a 8mm. Having the 8/14/24/nikon 50 (prime; e series are my favorite)/85 rokinon would round out a nice set for you for a pretty small investment. You can certainly use your nikons and just pick up some wider lenses as well. Sigma makes a 16mm 2.8, or made as it's an older lens, which is really spectacular. I still opt for that over my own Zeiss Super Speed 16mm sometimes because I find it more "interesting" in it's look.

Also you can use some of the APS-C zooms, such as the Tonika 11~16 and the Sigma 8~16 (i'm not sure if the sigma is mechanical or not because you'd normally want all mechanical, manual lenses. Electronics in lenses break and just generally are a pain).

The other option is to look into M43rds lenses which would require no adapter but also which I don't like as much because they are electronic and I don't want the camera making creative choices for me, or fighting with the firmware over a lens. But the M43rds lenses tend to go pretty wide, are relatively affordable and are almost all much more recent (and optically "better") designs than older glass-- though I also personally find using "better," glass on digital sensors often times make them look much more like digital sensors.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

romcho

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 1:50 am

Thank you so much for your informed replies.

I guess wide angle lenses are going to be very important for me. Does any one know of any great wide angle lenses that would suit the pocket?

cheers

Craig Seeman

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 2:27 am

Let me add to the mix. All from mid '70s to early '80s

Nikkor 20mm 1:4
Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8
Nikkor-S Auto f=35mm 1:2.8
Nikkor 85mm 1:2
Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm 1:4
AF-Nikkor 1:1.8 50mm
PC-Nikkor 1:2.8 35mm

The 20 and 28 should be reasonable even with the crop factor.
The PC is an odd ball lens I believe used for architecture to correct for perspective.
This would give me a good set of Telephoto as well.

I'm thinking about the Metabones SpeedBoostMFT Nikon G but I think the above are all F series so I wonder if it would work.
The 2.8s and the 1.8 could be useful in low light with the SpeedBoost and it will help a bit with the crop factor as well.

Also a standard MFT Nikon F would help. Metabones has one but I know there are less expensive so I'm wondering if there's any advantage to the Metabones standard MFT vs others (any recommendations)?

Anton Marini

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 am

Craig Seeman wrote:Let me add to the mix. All from mid '70s to early '80s

Nikkor 20mm 1:4
Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8
Nikkor-S Auto f=35mm 1:2.8
Nikkor 85mm 1:2
Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm 1:4
AF-Nikkor 1:1.8 50mm
PC-Nikkor 1:2.8 35mm

The 20 and 28 should be reasonable even with the crop factor.
The PC is an odd ball lens I believe used for architecture to correct for perspective.
This would give me a good set of Telephoto as well.

I'm thinking about the Metabones SpeedBoostMFT Nikon G but I think the above are all F series so I wonder if it would work.
The 2.8s and the 1.8 could be useful in low light with the SpeedBoost and it will help a bit with the crop factor as well.

Also a standard MFT Nikon F would help. Metabones has one but I know there are less expensive so I'm wondering if there's any advantage to the Metabones standard MFT vs others (any recommendations)?

I just got my Pocket today - and the Metabones Speed Booster for Nikon and played with some old lenses - F Series , DX, and and old f1.4 25mm. That 1.4 felt like I could see in the dark with the Speed Booster.

Im not an expert but I suspect those lenses should work. The focus at infinity felt a touch off for some of the lenses but the newer lenses we owned seemed fine.
http://vade.info
http://syphon.v002.info
http://v002.info

╌╌╌╍╍ ╽╫╽ ╍╍╌╌╌

adamroberts

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 am

All Nikon SLR lenses are F mount. Even the G type have an F mount. Only difference is that the G type lenses have not aperture ring.

The Speedbooster and standard Nikon G adaptor from Metabones has an aperture ring so that it can control the aperture of G type lenses.

If you use an older Nikon F lens like a AI or AIS or even the AF-D lens on these adaptors they functions just the same. You can even use the Metabones aperture ring if you want.

So all those lenses should work tho I would check on the 20mm as there are 2 lenses that are not comparable as part of the rear of the lens can come into contact with the Speedbooster element.

As for wide angles:
SLRMagic 12mm MFT
Voigitlander 17.5mm MFT
Panasonic 12-35mm MFT
Tokina 11-16 Nikon mount (with the Speedbooster or Nikon to MFT adaptor)
And many more...

Craig Seeman

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 am

Adam, thanks for clarifying. Sometimes the language seems muddled since F is a mount and G really describes a function (electronic control rather than manual aperture ring).

Metabones list this as the Nikon lens at issue
20/2.8 AI-S
Which is this
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/20f28ais.htm

But I believe this is what I have
Nikkor 20mm f4 AI
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/20f4.htm

BTW I spoke to a Tokina rep a couple of weeks and they said there will be an MFT version of the Tokina 11-16 coming soon.

Dan Harris

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 10:49 am

I am still waiting on my BMPCC and Nikon Metabones SB for my mostly vintage Nikon lenses...

20mm 2.8 with SB becomes a 40mm 2.0 this lens needs a collar removed from the rear to be used with the SB. (can still buy new at B&H)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... _20mm.html
viewtopic.php?p=62378#p62378

24mm 2.0 with SB becomes a 50mm 1.4

35mm 1.4 with an SB becomes a 70mm 1.0

50mm 1.2 with SB becomes a 100mm 0.9 ?

85mm 2.0 needs collar removed by a tech to work

105mm 2.5 .....

35mm-70mm 2.8 great old cheap 80's manual lens, push pull zoom though becomes a 70-140mm 2.0! Amazing really as I have always coveted the classic 135mm 2.0 monster that is very tough to find.

In addition there is a new Voigtlander Nikon manual 28mm 2.8 pancake I will likely buy to use with my Fuji x and BMPCC a 55mm 2.0 pancake with SB is a very nice FOV, lightweight and speedy.

I will post images end of October when camera and SB arrives.

Dan Harris

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 pm

One more lens of interest from the Nikon family is the Ruskie 16mm 2.8 Zenitar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITAR-16mm-f- ... 1080954717
that will give you a wide 32mm F2.0 with the SB.
It consistently gets great reviews for it price, the only drawback it does not take filters because of the front glass.

Return to Cinematography