Nikon lenses on EF mount(aperture)?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Pfeiffer

Nikon lenses on EF mount(aperture)?

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 pm

So I was looking at getting myself the Tamron 17-50 2.8 zoom to fill a certain gap I have in my current collection of lenses and my preference is to get used in order to save money. If I could use the nikon mount version on my EF camera without having to set the aperture on a different camera, it would open my purchasing options up quite a bit. As such, I was wondering if the BMCC EF can still control the aperture on Nikon mount counterparts to EF lenses that are known to work with it.
Sean Pfeiffer

adamroberts

Re: Nikon lenses on EF mount(aperture)?

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 am

Nikon G type lenses (the ones without an aperture ring) like the Tamron have a mechanical aperture. It's not electronic. The Nikon camera body has a lever that mechanically adjusts the aperture. This is very different to how Canon and other electronic lenses work.

This is very useful because adaptors can be made that require no electronics but can still control the aperture in theses lenses.

To use this lens on the EF mount you'll need a Nikon G to EF mount adaptor. Novoflex make a very good one with excellent build quality but it's not cheap. As you are looking at a used Tamron I'm guessing your budget won't stretch that far. You can look at the Fotodiox brand adaptor which is cheaper or search eBay for a very cheap (about $25) Nikon G to EF adaptor. Build quality is not as good at the Novoflex but it does the job.

Return to Cinematography