External battery power supply

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tomyoung

External battery power supply

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Just got one of these: http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/detailsB.php?code=dv-bms&mainMenuItemToSlide=17&asi=DV-C1&asi2=DV-F970&asi3=DV-MC2

Can anyone confirm - when it's plugged in, does anything on the BMCC screen register that there's an external power supply? At the moment it's just saying my battery is at 100% and that's it.

Also, how long has anyone got from a Sony NP-F970 from one of these? Going out to a shoot tomorrow and would be handy to know in advance. Thanks.

Danceman scott

Re: External battery power supply

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi I got the same one with the charger and two batteries the BMCC does not tell you its charging and you will only know its run out of external battery when they battery that is connected is done you will then see the 100 drop to 75%.

I think this is correct

Best

tomyoung

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Cool thanks - seems to be the way it works. Good news is it does seem to work! Not a bad option if you've already got a few old Sony batteries lying around.

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

tomyoung wrote:Cool thanks - seems to be the way it works. Good news is it does seem to work! Not a bad option if you've already got a few old Sony batteries lying around.

When I put a battery on the A/B gold mount plate and connect to BMCC the battery icon displays a lightning bolt.

Jules Bushell

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Danceman scott wrote:Hi I got the same one with the charger and two batteries the BMCC does not tell you its charging and you will only know its run out of external battery when they battery that is connected is done you will then see the 100 drop to 75%.

I think this is correct

Best

Incorrect, at least on my BMCC. Battery stays on 100% for a while then drops to 75%.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

tomyoung

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Actually that was my understanding of what he put anyway - that the camera uses the external battery, then starts to use the internal and you only become aware of it when it drops to 75%.

Weird about the charge symbol thing. The external battery seems to be working on mine but that symbol definitely doesn't appear.

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 6:29 pm

tomyoung wrote:
Weird about the charge symbol thing. The external battery seems to be working on mine but that symbol definitely doesn't appear.

I don't have an adapter for my Sony batteries so I can't say, but the lightning bolt definitely appears when I plug in a Dioninc or Trimpac.

tomyoung

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Vince Gaffney wrote:
tomyoung wrote:

I don't have an adapter for my Sony batteries so I can't say, but the lightning bolt definitely appears when I plug in a Dioninc or Trimpac.

Do you get the same symbol (or anything else) when you plug in the external power from the mains? Because I don't. I'm wondering if this might relate to a firmware update.

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 7:12 pm

tomyoung wrote:
Vince Gaffney wrote:
tomyoung wrote:

Do you get the same symbol (or anything else) when you plug in the external power from the mains? Because I don't. I'm wondering if this might relate to a firmware update.

Yes. As soon as I add any external power source the lighting bolt appears in the battery icon.

Return to Cinematography