Autofocus & Image Stabilisation

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jony

Autofocus & Image Stabilisation

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 6:27 am

I read previously that Autofocus on Canon EF-S lenses will be activated and available from camera.

Does anyone know if this is correct and whether this feature is available on the initial release?

Also whether Image Stabilisation on these lenses will work with the camera?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Autofocus & Image Stabilisation

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 am

Hi Jony,

Auto focus and Image Stabilization will not be in the initial release but these are features we will be adding with software updates.

Margus Voll

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 am

When optics have stabilization in them do they also need camera to support it or
does it work independently if powered ?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:42 am

Margus Voll wrote:When optics have stabilization in them do they also need camera to support it or
does it work independently if powered ?

They still need camera support and is not independent.

Margus Voll

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am

ok i see.

i have always wondered if those lenses are "smart"

thnx.
Margus Voll, CSI

Joel Crane

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am

Plus Autofocus is never really a good idea in video mode as most often the camera will actually "search" for the focus, rather than going straight to it. Manual focus is practically always the best way to go.

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Margus Voll

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 am

i meant smartness for stabi not focus :D
Margus Voll, CSI

Joel Crane

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

Margus Voll wrote:i meant smartness for stabi not focus :D

Sorry, my bad!
Btw, checked out your showreel, really cool stuff man! Cable-face dude was pretty awesome, was he for a music video?

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Jony

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi Jony,

Auto focus and Image Stabilization will not be in the initial release but these are features we will be adding with software updates.

Thanks for the update.

Margus Voll

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

yes for music video :)
Margus Voll, CSI

JT_vipav

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi Jony,

how far are we on the feature release? I need to request for 4 BMC in our budget for webinars they will be mounted on PTZ and will need the auto focus on our EF lenses.

Geoff Boyle

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

Kristian Lam wrote:They still need camera support and is not independent.

Hmm, I just shot with the 70-200mm on a C500 at about 150mm and had IS turned on.

As far as I'm aware C500 doesn't have support built in but I'm really not that good at tracking on a slider!!

So what gives?
Geoff Boyle fbks
Cinematographer
EU Based

John Brawley

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am

CMLGeoff wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:They still need camera support and is not independent.

Hmm, I just shot with the 70-200mm on a C500 at about 150mm and had IS turned on.

As far as I'm aware C500 doesn't have support built in but I'm really not that good at tracking on a slider!!

So what gives?

Hi Geoff.

IS is working with the latest publicly available firmware.

The "support" is some kind of communication between camera and lens. (nothing to do with functionality or user interface) But the "code" for this has been worked out and as far as I know it works across the board now.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

softicemedia

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Would it be possible to mount a micro 4/3 Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm with the image stabilizer? And will the IS work? I need the best possible stabilization and I'm fighting to find the optimal solution.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 4:57 pm

softicemedia wrote:Would it be possible to mount a micro 4/3 Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm with the image stabilizer? And will the IS work? I need the best possible stabilization and I'm fighting to find the optimal solution.

BMD's new Pocket Cinema Camera (shipping this July) supports the Lumix 12-35mm lens and its IS feature via the camera's active MFT lens mount. See:
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... ur-pocket/
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... e-orginal/

To the best of my knowledge, auto-focus is not a feature supported by the Pocket Cinema Camera (or by any BMD camera).

BMD's original Cinema Camera (BMCC-EF; now shipping) supports IS on many popular EF mount lenses, not MFT. See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4651

The announced Cinema Camera (BMCC-MFT; not yet shipping) with passive MFT mount will not support any electronic lens functions. For example, Lumix lenses require an active MFT lens mount to perform focus (including "manual" focus), aperture, and IS. The BMCC-MFT is primarily intended for use with fully manual lenses.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... emacamera/

There are relatively expensive 3rd party EF-to-MFT lens adapters available (such as the Redrock "LiveLens") which support lens IS and other electronic EF lens functions on MFT lens mount cameras. But these are features provided by the adapters, not by the MFT cameras directly.

For the foreseeable future, if you want to use a Lumix lens on a camera from BMD, the new Pockect Cinema Camera is the best match.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... emacamera/

-

Lee Mackreath

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 11:04 am

In regards to the BMPCC if the lens supports AutoFocus eg the 14-42 mk1 then do you still get a choice to use af/mf on the bmpcc?

Ryan Jones

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 11:48 am

LMACKREATH wrote:In regards to the BMPCC if the lens supports AutoFocus eg the 14-42 mk1 then do you still get a choice to use af/mf on the bmpcc?

Yep just confirmed despite earlier doubts.

guitarman008

Novice: Where is Image Stabilization on Menu?

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm brand new to the BMCC 2.5k EF which just arrived from B&H Photo this week.

I downloaded and read the pdf User Manual which says you can select Image Stabilization (presumably on the menu) if your lens supports it. But it doesn't specify how to select it or whether there is an indicator on the camera that it is communicating with the lens and IS is engaged. I'm using a new Canon 24-105mm 4L IS USM, but also had the same result with a Canon EF 85mm prime with IS. Iris works fine on both lenses.

Is it just a matter of turning on the switch on the lens? Doesn't seem to make any difference in shots.

Sorry for such a basic question but I've searched the menu, the BMD forum and Google in vain and the camera seems to have nothing about IS.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Might be noted in the user manual: On the BMCC-EF, lens IS is not enabled until the camera is in record mode. Do you get a different result with your camera & lenses?

And yes, the lens' IS on/off switch must be "on" to shoot with IS.

Apparently, BMD cameras only support lens IS with lenses that have a physical IS on/off switch set to "on'.
viewtopic.php?p=70602&sid=a707412dcf2765b81e480e51a9091005#p70602

-

Mac Jaeger

Re: Novice: Where is Image Stabilization on Menu?

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm

guitarman008 wrote:Is it just a matter of turning on the switch on the lens? Doesn't seem to make any difference in shots.

We just learned in another thread that only lenses with a physical switch to de/activate IS are supported.

Ryan Jones

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:
guitarman008 wrote:Is it just a matter of turning on the switch on the lens? Doesn't seem to make any difference in shots.

We just learned in another thread that only lenses with a physical switch to de/activate IS are supported.

That's the case with all canon cameras I've ever used though, IS must be turned on on the lens to work.

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Problem is that some cheaper lenses from the panasonic lineup don't have that manual switch - rendering them less usable.

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Joel Crane wrote:Plus Autofocus is never really a good idea in video mode as most often the camera will actually "search" for the focus, rather than going straight to it. Manual focus is practically always the best way to go.

Actually I find there is one application in which I love autofocus in shooting digital video. I have a vest rig for stabilizing moving shots and as I can't afford an AC and a remote follow focus I find that using the cameras auto focus works wonderfully as long as I keep my subject relatively steady in the frame.Trying to focus myself is impossible as it moves the sensitively balanced camera, showing up in the shot. The autofocus tracks quite well as a poor man's AC with a remote as long as I lock on in the beginning and don't do any sudden pans on and off the subject, instead keeping it steadily in the frame.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Return to Cinematography