BM Pocket Cam, Pan 12-35 f2.8 no AF?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SteveNunez

BM Pocket Cam, Pan 12-35 f2.8 no AF?

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 4:03 am

Hey guys, just received my new Pocket Cinema Cam and I've noticed it will NOT autofocus with my Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 lens.....in fact, when the "focus" button is depressed it simply just shifts the focus a hair usually more blurred than when first pressed, anyone else having problems with the same lens on their pocket cam?
I tested the AF with the cheap plastic 14-42mm Pan lens and I can confirm it does AF fine, so the issue seems to be related to the 12-35 lens.
Needless to say I'm very disappointed as the 12-35 f2.8 lens was to be my main lens for this camera but without AF the use is limited.....hope a new firmware fix corrects this issue as I hate the idea of sending a newly received camera back to service.

Anyone have any words on the issue?
(The lens AF's perfectly on my Pan cams so the lens isn't the issue!)

SteveNunez

Re: BM Pocket Cam, Pan 12-35 f2.8 no AF?

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 am

Ok, problem fixed......you must apply the new 1.2 firmware update to the lens using a Panasonic body, and the lens will AF on the pocket cinema camera.....just tested this and it works perfectly.

Have fun guys.

(There are multiple lens updates on the page, so check your other lenses as well!)

barveni

Re: BM Pocket Cam, Pan 12-35 f2.8 no AF?

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 am

such a thread of useful information, thanks steve!

SteveNunez wrote:Ok, problem fixed......you must apply the new 1.2 firmware update to the lens using a Panasonic body, and the lens will AF on the pocket cinema camera.....just tested this and it works perfectly.

Have fun guys.

(There are multiple lens updates on the page, so check your other lenses as well!)

Return to Cinematography