the first affordable high-speed camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert RED

the first affordable high-speed camera

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm

See here

http://edgertronic.com

- RED -
Every Day is a drop of Life
Email: red@robertred.ch
Facebook: facebook.com/followRobertRED
Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/robertred
BMDCC Channel: Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/bmdcc

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: the first affordable high-speed camera

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm

BDM low price idea killer? All in all camera for a really sweet price.

*link deleted*
Last edited by Nikolay Smirnov on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Robert RED

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Message from Mr. Rivera

We ask that you not advertise for other companies products on our website.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation on this.

Blackmagic Design
Community Manager

Paul Kapp

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:BDM low price idea killer? All in all camera for ...

Are you saying the Axiom will be a cheap alternative?
10K for the camera block alone with no recorder. And crowd funding hasn't even started yet.
It's a great concept but it won't be that cheap.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

You can post PM's or I could just tell you here in public view. Either way, the stance is still the same. There are other websites where this kind of thing can be posted. We choose to keep our forums to products relating to our company.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Robert RED

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:41 pm

The Blackmagic produces high speed camera? NO!
Worry about your products, instead of worrying about this.

And then there are threads on other brands ...

I don't understand the problem!

- RED -

Nikolay Smirnov

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Pablito wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:BDM low price idea killer? All in all camera for ...

Are you saying the Axiom will be a cheap alternative?
10K for the camera block alone with no recorder. And crowd funding hasn't even started yet.
It's a great concept but it won't be that cheap.

They are saying the cam with those specs will be under 10k price. So yea, I think recorder is included.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:You can post PM's or I could just tell you here in public view. Either way, the stance is still the same. There are other websites where this kind of thing can be posted. We choose to keep our forums to products relating to our company.

But actually it DOES relate to your company. People are talking about it here because it will provide something that Blackmagic does not currently provide that the customers want (frame rates above 30p)...

People talk about third party products on these forums all the time without getting scolded for it. Mainly because they are talking about accessories like viewfinders, lenses, rigs etc... But most of these third party products that people are *allowed to discuss here are in discussion because they resolve or help with shortcomings of BDM hardware. Lack of high frame rates can also be seen as a shortcoming of BMCC cameras that some BMCC users must overcome one way or another. If BMD does not currently provide a solution for people who want high frame rates then why do they feel threatened by the perceived competition?

A camera that shoots high speed can't be considered competition until you have something that can actually compete with it...

Until then just look at it as an accessory that BMCC users need to fill a gap in their workflow just like an external audio recorder makes up for bad sound quality on a BMPCC...

Craig Seeman

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 pm

For all any of us knows, BMD may be researching development of a high speed camera.
Some developers welcome product comparisons on their site but others, rightfully so, feel uncomfortable since it might but them in a position about potential future products.

F.K.

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Have I missed something in my eyes the first affordable Digital High Speed camera delivering high Image Quality was the FS-700.

It would be nice to have some kind of HS camera or upgrade from BMD doing something as 100FPS FHD for lets say 10 Seconds. Still it wouldn't be my top priority. For me slowmotion often feels more like effect than a necessity for storytelling.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:44 pm

I keep hearing things about how the BMC cameras can't do it because of data rate restrictions and hardware limitations. But being that several cheaper (and in some cases older) cameras can do it, I'm not really buying that.

It seems to me that in the case of the 4K camera if it can output a resolution that is 4x HD then 4x the frame rate at HD resolution should be the same amount of data, just divided up differently.

It seems that between things like sensor crop and burst modes they should be able to find a way to do it...

I would be happy with a burst mode at least...

Robert RED

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:
Tony Rivera wrote:You can post PM's or I could just tell you here in public view. Either way, the stance is still the same. There are other websites where this kind of thing can be posted. We choose to keep our forums to products relating to our company.

But actually it DOES relate to your company. People are talking about it here because it will provide something that Blackmagic does not currently provide that the customers want (frame rates above 30p)...

People talk about third party products on these forums all the time without getting scolded for it. Mainly because they are talking about accessories like viewfinders, lenses, rigs etc... But most of these third party products that people are *allowed to discuss here are in discussion because they resolve or help with shortcomings of BDM hardware. Lack of high frame rates can also be seen as a shortcoming of BMCC cameras that some BMCC users must overcome one way or another. If BMD does not currently provide a solution for people who want high frame rates then why do they feel threatened by the perceived competition?

A camera that shoots high speed can't be considered competition until you have something that can actually compete with it...

Until then just look at it as an accessory that BMCC users need to fill a gap in their workflow just like an external audio recorder makes up for bad sound quality on a BMPCC...

Exactly ;0)

Good day Mr. Rivera

- RED -

Return to Cinematography