Lens selection

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

paulkosmala

Lens selection

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 6:20 pm

What about EF-S? Will we be able to mount them as well?

Christian Schmeer

Re: Lens selection

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 6:38 pm

I believe EF-S is a slightly different mount, isn't it? However EF-S lenses would probably be quite good for the sensor size of the BMCC.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

John Brawley

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 11:21 pm

paulkosmala wrote:What about EF-S? Will we be able to mount them as well?

I've used several EF-S lenses including the canon 15-85 and the 10-22. They work really well AND Image stabilising works well too.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Noir

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 am

John Brawley wrote:
I've used several EF-S lenses including the canon 15-85 and the 10-22. They work really well AND Image stabilising works well too.

jb

Hi John. Can you see yourself using the image stabilisation on Canon Lenses in your professional work? If so then what circumstances do you find that their benefit falls apart?

I plan to use the 15-85 and would have gotten the 10-22 if it had image stabilisation.

John Brawley

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 am

Noir wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Hi John. Can you see yourself using the image stabilisation on Canon Lenses in your professional work? If so then what circumstances do you find that their benefit falls apart?

I plan to use the 15-85 and would have gotten the 10-22 if it had image stabilisation.

Yes I think IS is very useful, especially at longer focal lengths, say above 35mm...

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

matthijsliethof

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Instead of making a new topic, let me just post this here.

What lenses are you going to buy? Or going to want when this camera is in your hands? (let's just assume it'll be)

I'm looking at the
-Sigma 30mm 1.4
-Sigma 8-16 4.5 or tokina 11-16
-Maybe one of the samyang primes?

What do you guys think? :-)

David

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 pm

I have the sigma 8-16mm and its awesome. I also have the samyang/rokinon 24mm, 35mm and 85mm all at 1.4 and they are beasts. Especially the 24 and 35.I'll stack those against the Canon L lenses any day of the week. They have a range of cine lens for each now but I'll be keeping the ones I have.

I'll also be using a sigma 18-50mm with IS which is a really nice general purpose lens and on a glidecam it's really nice to have the IS. Also the canon 70-200L f/4 NON IS. I've thought about going up to the 2.8 with IS but I've been really happy with my f/4 NON and I only shoot with it it on a tripod so I'll probably stick with it.

Also a Canon 50mm 1.8 just cause it's so damn cheap. And that pretty much has me covered to start off with.

Down the road looking at a canon 16-35 but I'll see how I go with the above first.
David Daniel
Dilettante

paulkosmala

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 11:28 pm

David wrote:I have the sigma 8-16mm and its awesome. I also have the samyang/rokinon 24mm, 35mm and 85mm all at 1.4 and they are beasts. Especially the 24 and 35.I'll stack those against the Canon L lenses any day of the week. They have a range of cine lens for each now but I'll be keeping the ones I have.

I'll also be using a sigma 18-50mm with IS which is a really nice general purpose lens and on a glidecam it's really nice to have the IS. Also the canon 70-200L f/4 NON IS. I've thought about going up to the 2.8 with IS but I've been really happy with my f/4 NON and I only shoot with it it on a tripod so I'll probably stick with it.

Also a Canon 50mm 1.8 just cause it's so damn cheap. And that pretty much has me covered to start off with.

Down the road looking at a canon 16-35 but I'll see how I go with the above first.

I wouldn't go with the 16-35 II, was never happy with it unless it was stopped down to f/8 or more.
the sigma 30 1.4 is fantastic, some barrel issues but at this crop - shouldn't be too much of a problem. better than canon's 28mm 1.8 ... although i do recall seeing something about a new version with IS - with may be fantastic for this camera...

I would be interested to see if the 0.45x% magnifying converters are viable.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 pm

I will need a wide angle and I am considering getting the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (which would translate to a "more regular" wide angle focal length of 25.3-36.8mm due to the 2.3x crop factor), but I am unsure whether to get the Mark 1 or Mark 2 version? The Mark 2 is around £100 GBP more and seems to have come out recently, does anyone have it?

-Chris.
www.christianschmeer.com

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 am

David wrote:Also the canon 70-200L f/4 NON IS. I've thought about going up to the 2.8 with IS but I've been really happy with my f/4 NON and I only shoot with it it on a tripod so I'll probably stick with it.

I've thought about that and wondered if the image stabilization might still be required if you plan on panning the camera or moving it in any direction since at 200mm, it's like a 460mm lens on the BMCC. No problem on a still camera but might not look so smooth on a cinema camera. When you get the camera, please post your experience using that zoom lens at 200mm with camera movement. Thanks.
Rick Lang

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 am

cschmeer wrote:I will need a wide angle and I am considering getting the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (which would translate to a "more regular" wide angle focal length of 25.3-36.8mm due to the 2.3x crop factor), but I am unsure whether to get the Mark 1 or Mark 2 version? The Mark 2 is around £100 GBP more and seems to have come out recently, does anyone have it?

-Chris.

I came across this review of the Tokina 11-16 Mark 2 and it was suggested that the Mark 2 sample he had wasn't as good as the Mark 1 he tested: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm-ii.htm#rex
Did anyone here have the Mark 1 and upgraded to the Mark 2? Just wondering which version of the lens to go with. Also can anyone confirm whether the Tokina with Canon mount has an EF mount or EF-S mount?

Any help with my purchase decision is much appreciated :)
www.christianschmeer.com

cengizözgök

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 am

I just got the Zeiss 25mm 2.0
This lens is so sharp and so good material I will advice everyone to look at this lens
I'm only shooting on mine canon 60 D and according the image quality it blows me away what will happens when I add this lens on the BMC

adamroberts

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:42 am

cschmeer wrote:Also can anyone confirm whether the Tokina with Canon mount has an EF mount or EF-S mount?

The Canon mount Tokina is EF-S as its for crop sensor cameras. It'll work fine on the BMCC.

Jason Greene

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 am

adamroberts wrote:
cschmeer wrote:Also can anyone confirm whether the Tokina with Canon mount has an EF mount or EF-S mount?

The Canon mount Tokina is EF-S as its for crop sensor cameras. It'll work fine on the BMCC.

Just to clarify, since the above quote implies that the Tokina is not an EF mount. While the Tokina operates at its full 11-16mm on a crop sensor, it also works on a full frame EF mount camera, such as the 5D Mark III, but only at 16mm and with a touch of fisheye distortion. Thus, unlike my Canon EF-S lenses that will not attach to an EF mount, the Tokina will. I plan on using my Tokina a lot when I get my BMCC, whenever that may be.

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Jason Greene wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

Just to clarify, since the above quote implies that the Tokina is not an EF mount. While the Tokina operates at its full 11-16mm on a crop sensor, it also works on a full frame EF mount camera, such as the 5D Mark III, but only at 16mm and with a touch of fisheye distortion. Thus, unlike my Canon EF-S lenses that will not attach to an EF mount, the Tokina will. I plan on using my Tokina a lot when I get my BMCC, whenever that may be.

Ok, so it is an EF mount not the APS-C specific EF-S mount (EF-S attaches with a white dot, not red dot), although the lens was made for APS-C? That's what I wanted to hear :) I will definitely go for the Tokina then. Now the question is: Mark 1 or Mark 2?
www.christianschmeer.com

Return to Cinematography