BMPCC external HDMI signal via Zacuto EVF

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alessio Vasarin

BMPCC external HDMI signal via Zacuto EVF

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 am

Hi everyone,
I've just got my Pocket cinema camera.
I have a problem with the HDMI signal: when I use my Zacuto EVF it works fine, but when I use my Lilliput monitor it doesn't work.
The monitor works well with my 5dmk2.

Any advice?
Canon 5dMK2
Blackmagic Pocket CC
Nikon glasses
www.frabiatofilm.com

Dave Chin

Re: BMPCC external HDMI signal via Zacuto EVF

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 1:59 pm

fwiw my pocket is working well with both the zacuto evf and my lilliput 665 monitor. i think one of the keys is the micro hdmi connector on your cable - not all fit well since the socket seems to be rather shallow.
currently enjoying my BMPCC & BMCC in Singapore.

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Since I'm about to have this problem too can a list be started that inventories which cables work well?

Alessio Vasarin

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 am

Unfortunately the cable I have is the only short cable(30cm) I've found here in Italy. I will give a look in EU.
I know there are adaptors from micro HDMI to HDMI, is anybody working with them?
Canon 5dMK2
Blackmagic Pocket CC
Nikon glasses
www.frabiatofilm.com

Alessio Vasarin

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 11:18 am

I found out that this can be an issue with the lenght(depth) of the Micro-hdmi port. Probably we have to wait until proper cables for the Pocket will be release!
Canon 5dMK2
Blackmagic Pocket CC
Nikon glasses
www.frabiatofilm.com

Kholi Hicks

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 2:55 pm

I spent 25.00 on an open-box Sony Micro HDMI to HDMI cable after trying cheaper ones that would drop signal if you look at the cable the wrong way and haven't had an issue with my HDMI signal since.

That's wiggling it around, accidentally putting my face against it, bending the hdmi cable etc. Signal has not dropped since I started using it.

The only downside is that it's super long so I had to fold it and velcro it, and it now sits in a nook between my Viewfactor plate and the bottom of the Viewfactor cage.

Although the HDMI port on the camera seems a bit flimsy, if you're having connectivity issues you should try a company like Sony or Monster for cables, since these two are invested in selling quality cables.
Kholi Hicks

machavez

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

This problem is most probably caused by the progressive, as opposed to interlaced, signal from the camera. Most consumer monitors were not designed to support a progressive signal.

Return to Cinematography