Should I get BMCC or BMPCC or Nikon D800? Or wait for BMPC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MaRsA

Should I get BMCC or BMPCC or Nikon D800? Or wait for BMPC4K

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi,
I'm totally new to compare between different cameras
Actually, BMD are very late for announcing the BMPC4K
So I want your advice about other cameras.
As I write in topic
-Should I get BMCC EF of MTF? and why?
-Should I get BMPCC?, Why?
-Should I get Nikon D800?, Why?
Or should I wait for BMPC4k?

I just want to get your advice between these cameras.
Also, I have a question about BMCC, is there still a Blooming sensor on that camera, or the problem solved?

Thanks
Majed Albayed

Cristobal Infante

Re: Should I get BMCC or BMPCC or Nikon D800? Or wait for BM

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Do you need Photos? then you need the Nikon or a DSLR.

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm

As for the "why"s: if _you_ don't know why you want either of these cameras, how should _we_ know?! These are completely different cameras, read about their respective features and decide what you need. Or at least tell us _what_ you need, then someone here can tell which device fits best.

MaRsA wrote:Actually, BMD are very late for announcing the BMPC4K

Do you think so? I'd say they were too early in announcing it... seeing that it probably won't be available until 2014.

MaRsA wrote:I have a question about BMCC, is there still a Blooming sensor on that camera, or the problem solved?

To my knowledge there never was a "blooming sensor" problem on the BMCC. Only BMPCC had a problem, which also wasn't "blooming" but rather hard edged clipping in overexposed areas, leading to sharp contoured white discs around blown out light sources. This is solved by now.

Craig Seeman

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 pm

For me, there's a certain "rule" one should apply when asking questions like this. This pattern happens in every area of the industry when people ask for the "best" of something.

The RULE: describes your GOAL and then people can suggest the way(s) you can get there. In other words list your NEEDS or your CLIENT'S NEEDS based on the types of shoots you do.

Need to be stealthy, light weight, small and hand held. That would be BMPCC (there are places that even a pro DSLR will get me stopped).
Want to grade or composite heavily. BMCC or BMPCC a close 2nd.
Need to take photos too. D800.
Need future proofing for creative work. BMPC4K.
Need to stabilize in post a lot. BMCC or BMPC4K.

There's more and I'm oversimplifying but these are just a few of the considerations. There's no one "do it all" camera. You pick the camera that fits most of your needs. At these prices you may stretch and buy two.

Insomniac

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Based on the information you have and haven't provided, I'm going to guess that you aren't a professional yet but are simply interested in creating the highest quality videos you can as a hobbyist, and possibly becoming a professional or "weekend professional" someday. I apologize if this is an incorrect assumption, I'm basing it off of your comment that you're new to comparing cameras and the fact that I imagine a professional would have likely detailed the way he or she intends to use the camera

If this is indeed the case, then I am similarly situated and had the same question you do. In fact, you might say that I agonized over the decision. (See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13340 for instance). I ultimately decided to go with the Black Magic Pocket CInema Camera.

BMPCC vs DSLR:

The BMPCC is reputed to capture more details in footage than DSLR when shooting ProRes, allow for far greater flexibility to manipulate colors in post, be better for green screen because it captures more color information, etc. My understanding is that it will only have an even greater advantage in these areas once the firmware is updated to allow it to shoot raw.

There are certain inconveniences to using the BMPCC vs. a DSLR based on what I've read, e.g. short battery life (but batteries are removable/replaceable), no formatting SD cards in-camera, no deleting clips in-camera, .etc, but some of them may be remedied in future firmware updates. I haven't actually used the camera yet, but from the sound of it these inconveniences seem tolerable in light of the superior video quality the camera offers for its price.

If the quality of the footage your camera shoots is far more important to you than the ability to take still pictures, and if you have a decent computer and don't mind fiddling a bit with footage after you shoot it to make it shine, then I would definitely go with a Black Magic Pocket Camera over a DSLR.

BMPCC vs BMCC:

I was very interested in the Black Magic Cinema Camera's 2.5k resolution (and of course the Black Magic Production Camera's 4K resolution) because I read that having more than 1080p resolution makes footage super sharp/detailed when scaled down to 1080p and also allows you to crop (zoom in) in post production without losing visual quality (scaling up pixels).

At the same time, though, I knew that whichever camera I chose would likely have to hold me over for a few years, since spending more than a thousand dollars on "my hobby" doesn't exactly sit well with my wife, and is something I can't turn around and do again in a year or two without it causing a major issue. Plus, as much as I desire high quality, I'm also interested in flexibility and convenience. While there are aspects of the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera that are inconvenient relative to a DSLR as discussed above, it seems like it would be much more convenient to shoot impromptu, on-location footage inconspicuously with the BMPCC relative to the BMCC, as it can be made to look just like a point and shoot.

BMPCC vs BMPC (4K):

I chose the BMPCC over waiting for the BMPC for the same reasons I chose it over the BMCC, plus the fact that the BMPC isn't actually available yet, the BMPC supposedly has slightly less dynamic range, and I imagine the 4K footage it shoots would be more taxing on even a powerful computer and therefore take much more time to add effects to and render in post.

To sum it up, I chose the BMPCC for the superior video quality it is reputed to have over DSLRs, and the versatility/convenience it should have over the BMCC.

I do wish that the BMPCC camera could have cost $500 or even $1,000 more and offered much more in the same form factor (2.5k resolution, 60 or 120 frames per second for slow motion, etc.) so that I'd get much more of what I'm interested in from it, but I'm telling myself that there will always be something newer/better around the corner, and I want to stop waiting and start doing. Perhaps BMPCC2 will be ready in a few years when I'll be able to make a case for why I need it. 8-)

I hope this helps you or anyone facing a similar "dilemma" in your decision making process.

*All of my views are subject to change upon actually using the BMPCC, which I should get to do tomorrow. :P

Return to Cinematography