BMCC: country of manufacture?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Gerulaitis

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed and answered.

Searched and all I found were speculations evenly split between Singapore and Australia. (I doubt it's made in Australia but then you never know.)

Being a seller, I am sometimes required to list "country of manufacture" (e.g. when selling to the government), yet I couldn't find it on the box or in the manual.

Would it be possible to find out what it is?

Thanks!
Alex Gerulaitis | System Administrator | DMED

Wayne Steven

Re: BMCC: country of manufacture?

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 am

Ring them and ask, explaining you are a reseller and have to quote country of manufacture by law. It might possibly be assembled/packed in Australia, but I imagine manufactured overseas.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Alex Gerulaitis

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 pm

If anyone else is looking for this info.. Formally, the country of manufacture is China. It's made both in Australia and China, yet if one has to quote where it's made, it's China.
Alex Gerulaitis | System Administrator | DMED

Savannah Miller

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 am

Alex Gerulaitis wrote:If anyone else is looking for this info.. Formally, the country of manufacture is China. It's made both in Australia and China, yet if one has to quote where it's made, it's China.

I asked as similar question about REDMAG ssd's a while back. They say MADE IN USA on them, yet aren't they using a key component (ssd storage) from korea and china? I'm pretty sure legally you have to claim where a large majority of the important materials come from.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Ouch, so they'll get more expensive in the US soon…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Holmlund

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Savannah Miller wrote:
Alex Gerulaitis wrote:If anyone else is looking for this info.. Formally, the country of manufacture is China. It's made both in Australia and China, yet if one has to quote where it's made, it's China.

I asked as similar question about REDMAG ssd's a while back. They say MADE IN USA on them, yet aren't they using a key component (ssd storage) from korea and china? I'm pretty sure legally you have to claim where a large majority of the important materials come from.

The country of origin determinations are complicated (you'll get discouraged reading them) and frequently make no sense to the lay person. I'm most familiar with the NAFTA rules and there's a concept of "substantial transformation" such that if a component is integrated or modified enough so that the final product has a different enough tariff code than its components, it can be considered to be made in USA. It might be straight-forward, it might not be.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

timesone

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 5:50 pm

According to thomman.de pro equipment supplier:
" ... Blackmagic Design products are mainly produced in factories in Singapore, Indonesia and China. ..."

SalopFilms

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 5:13 pm

Always thought that it was China, and everytime I say China I do it in a voice of a U.S. bloke with a very unusual hair style, and a ginger skin glow.....Chynaaaaa....

John Brawley

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 5:27 am

SalopFilms wrote:Always thought that it was China, and everytime I say China I do it in a voice of a U.S. bloke with a very unusual hair style, and a ginger skin glow.....Chynaaaaa....

It's not China. Not for cameras anyway.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 am

China has come a long way and are no longer a place for low cost/quality manufacture especially when it comes to professional cameras. This is the place that gave us Kinefinity and Z Cams and they are of high standard with little to no compromise in build quality and with it the price tag. The tech might be good from BMD but you get the low build quality and simplicity in design to keep the cost down. I would not be surprised if it is made in India.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 8:01 am

Well, most of the software you use these days is made in India. Don't underestimate either of them, both have landed robots on the moon, and these not lying on their sides ;-)

China is giving us some really good lenses for remarkably low prices. Both US and EU have to watch out not to be left behind, and isolationism is not really the answer (have a look at North Korea).

In the end, I don't care. Those cameras are pretty good at their price level. If you want after sales services like from Arri, go pay their prices. Yes, they are more robust, there are quite a few used first generation Alexas still functioning and cheap for what they are. You can still get them serviced. But for what that will cost you, you can buy a brand new camera from BM. Or two.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

robedge

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 7:48 pm

In 2024, my 1956 Leica M3 is still the best camera I own, and I’ve been through a few.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 am

No need to speculate. The country of manufacture is labeled at the bottom of the box. The Cinema Camera 6K is manufactured in our own factory in Indonesia.

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 7:39 am

Anything else? This matters if a university wants to buy equipment here with government funding.

WahWay

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 5:33 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:No need to speculate. The country of manufacture is labeled at the bottom of the box. The Cinema Camera 6K is manufactured in our own factory in Indonesia.

If BMD has its own factory why cant they make or source replacement parts?
I want a replacement screen for my OG BMPCC.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 am

I believe that cameras was made in Singapore a decade ago.
Rick Lang

WahWay

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:49 am

rick.lang wrote:I believe that cameras was made in Singapore a decade ago.

The screens are made in China were most off the components originate. I briefly worked in a factory that makes alarms, we just solder components onto ready made boards shipped in from elsewhere, once done it get shipped out to another company who does further integration into a unit.

soohyun

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 am

Every engineer worth a penny or two know that "Made in China" really means it was only assembled in China, while the more expensive components, and thus the bulk of the money of a product, came from elsewhere. By law the country identified must be the location in which the "last substantive transformation" of a product occurred, or some semantic BS like that. And the only reason that place is China is because the workers there are paid next to nothing, and is how it became the world's factory.

There are so many opinions, pride and prejudice on a product for what country is listed on that "Made in" marking, but those of us in the engineering community know just how arbitrary and meaningless it can be. In electronics, at least.
Soohyun Kim

Micro Cinema Camera

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 5:14 am

I suppose I should have said the original BMPCC was assembled in a factory in Singapore.
Rick Lang

Michael59

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 9:33 am

If you eat some good Cheese , like " Bleu d'Auvergne " , " Saint Nectaire " , " Comté " .. or drink some good Wine , you may be certain it's coming from France ...

Beside that , even about Honey .. most of the time we are not really sure its coming from our Country .. let's say it is assembled in France ..

Long ago , Japan was known for low cost equipments , like Bicycles , or Watches .. Nowadays , they make top notch equipments .. Zeiss glass , designed in Germany , made in Japan , from what I know .

We had Nicéphore Niépce , known as the Inventor of Photography , we had August and Louis Lumière , and we have Angénieux ..

Today's Technology .. Today's World ... Yes , maybe a Leica M3 is going to last for some time ..

Whatever , the Important Thing is the Deep Meaning of the Images we make .. Nothing lasts forever , unfortunately .. Just listen to " Avec le Temps " , by Léo Ferré , the pure truth about our lifes , and time passing by ..

The important thing is to make meaningful Images , speaking to our Soul ,.

In the Timeline rests our Memory , what remains after we have cut everything ..

" La Lucidité est la blessure la plus proche du Soleil " .... " Lucidity is the closest to the Sun Wound " .

Take it easy , take Care / Mike ..

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Appreciate the philosophy. We’re fortunate living on an island where Babe’s honey is made a few kilometers away from home.
Rick Lang

WahWay

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 pm

soohyun wrote:Every engineer worth a penny or two know that "Made in China" really means it was only assembled in China, while the more expensive components, and thus the bulk of the money of a product, came from elsewhere. By law the country identified must be the location in which the "last substantive transformation" of a product occurred, or some semantic BS like that. And the only reason that place is China is because the workers there are paid next to nothing, and is how it became the world's factory.

There are so many opinions, pride and prejudice on a product for what country is listed on that "Made in" marking, but those of us in the engineering community know just how arbitrary and meaningless it can be. In electronics, at least.

Use to be true decades ago, it is now made in and thanks to American sanction designed in China. Purely doing assembly work for foreign tech firms is not something undertaken in China for a long long time. Foreign companies opening factories in China has to go into partnership and share R&D with local companies, this has gone on for decades and it is now China providing complex parts and components to be assembled in places like India and Indonesia. China has learnt from developing countries that it does not merely be a low tech economy doing assembly work because it cannot progress that way.

Michael59

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 9:59 am

Babe's Honey .... Yes , Rick , you are very Fortunate to live in such a Beautiful Area .. A Beautiful , Wild , and Fantastic Nature .. The Mountains , the Ocean , the Forests , Fantastic ..

We recently had a Documentary of how Flowers improve their Colors , their Shapes , to attract Pollinating Insects and Bees .. All the Intelligence of Nature , and it's not Artificial ..

Philosophy is all about trying to understand Life .. not always easy ...

To understand life , we have to look back on the past , and , to live , we have to look forward ..

Maybe I am a bit " Off Topic " .... well , not that much ...

Take it easy , take Care of your Beloved Ones , take Care .. / Mike ..

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:00 pm

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography