Tascam DR-100 MkII for BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ulysses Paiva

Tascam DR-100 MkII for BMCC

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am

Has anyone tried the DR100 MkII? How does it performs against the others?
I read some reveiws and looks like it performs at least better than the zooms.
Ulysses Paiva

MatsHelgesson

Re: Tascam DR-100 MkII for BMCC

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 11:34 am

I'd say if you don't need locking xlr connectors, go with the zoom H6. I have both and stopped using the dr100 mk II very promptly for the better battery life, more inputs and better monitoring facilities.

I can send a premixed signal to my bmcc which corresponds to the recorded h6 level when the camera mic inputs are set to 22%. And I get separate tracks on the recorder. I get visual monitoring with an alphatron evf.

This setup also works well for run and gun with a canon dslr and two sennheiser wireless receivers.
Mats Helgesson
Cinematographer
Grandpa Electric

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks!
I read the volume wheels on the H6 are not that good cause they cant be locked and if you put it on your pocket, it just slips the volume. I really dont need 4 input channels. Its big the difference between the battery life?
What about the recording quality?
Ulysses Paiva

Jon Braeley

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 9:46 pm

I am upgrading my Tascam DR-100 Mark One version - I find that I need the gain switch at max to get any useable volume in interviews.

I think I am leaning to the Zoom H6 now.
Empty Mind Films: http://emptymindfilms.com

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 pm

I read the MKII is much better than the one. I think you should also consider ir. Its metal made, not plastic.
Ulysses Paiva

Nick Colombini

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Not sure how it compares against the others but I just shot an interview with the Tascam DR-100 MkII, rode ntg2, BMCC and BMPCC. It performed quite well and I was able to get good levels contrary to some comments on the pairing of the ntg2 and the tascam.

MatsHelgesson

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Thanks!
I read the volume wheels on the H6 are not that good cause they cant be locked and if you put it on your pocket, it just slips the volume. I really dont need 4 input channels. Its big the difference between the battery life?
What about the recording quality?

The volume Wheels can't be locked on the H6. They can't on the DR100 MkII either, but are less likely to be moved. They are vastly different form factors. For a separate soundman with the ultimate ergonomics, a Sound Devices recorder is even better but I doubt it's in your budget if you're looking at these devices. The volume wheels are not an issue in the way I use this device.

The battery Life is vastly different. Some get 6-8 hours out of the H6, while you can get _almost_ 2 hours on the DR100 from the built in Li-Ion battery. Then again it has a function for battery failover, but I don't think it's a very smooth option in practice.

Sound quality wise, using the internal mics, the H6 wins. The XLR mic inputs also seem a bit more powerful but sound quality wise, it's a bit of a tossup. I just got back from recording a classical concert using a pair of Microtech Gefell M296 mics with the preamps of the H6 set to just below 5. Plenty of juice left, no discernable noise and a very sweet sound quality. Perhaps not as good a sound as using Earthworks preamps through Lavry converters, but very usable. And portable.

Those extra two channels will save your ass some day... For instance, I'm using four channels in ENG style. The two internal mics pointing upwards to get the ambience of the room and two of the xlr channels to get the wireless mics. Two more inputs if need be.

Btw the DR100 can only record either the internal mics or external. It also has a very distinct handling noise so if you're recording sfx with the internal mics, be very aware of it. Don't move while recording. The omni mics on the DR100 are completely unusable.
Mats Helgesson
Cinematographer
Grandpa Electric

Star Trak

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 am

I was thinking about the Tascam DR-100 MkII for my BMCC as well and was also considering the Zoom H6.

I think I'v now decided on the Tascam DR-60D.. It doesn't have the built in mics like the DR-100 MKII or H6 but for me the design seems to be the most sensible for attaching to a rig, I also saw that I could attach a wireless receiver directly to the top of it since it wont be attached underneath the camera but on my rails between the cam and external battery.

Anyone use this setup? Thanks.

Jon Braeley

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 12:32 pm

I decided on the H6 for one reason - weight.

The DR-60D is far heavier and bulkier than it looks on the web. I was shocked when I picked one up. It's twice the weight of the H6.
When you travel like I do, that is a lot.

Loch Phillipps

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 1:22 pm

I have the DR-100 on my rig. The battery life problem can be solved by buying a couple of extra batteries at $30 each or so. I have not gotten any AA batteries to last at all in the unit. The DR-100 seems fine, but I have never had a Zoom so can't make the comparison.

The real problem is with the line out from the unit to the BMCC. I haven't gotten that to work well, no matter what level settings I use. Now I don't even connect the two, simply use the BMCC internal mic, and sync later. Not ideal but...
Loch Phillipps

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

As far as battery concerns, yeah. I just have 4 rechargeable Sony, so... not a problem here. I really dont need 4 channels, so that does not count. Dual audio is not a problem for me as Im very used to it. I dont really want to send the audio to the camera, although it would be very nice if it worked properly with cameras own preamps. The onboard mics... well, I think NONE is really good on whatever recorder, they are just for an emergency.

My main concern is about the recording quality. I will most used it to record audio from a shotgun mic (thinking of NTG3, so, phantom power needed) and propably by another kind of mic later for voiceovers and that kind of stuff. So, noise, preamps, handling... those are my concern when comparing recorders now.
Ulysses Paiva

MatsHelgesson

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 pm

loch@offrampfilms.com wrote:I have the DR-100 on my rig. The battery life problem can be solved by buying a couple of extra batteries at $30 each or so. I have not gotten any AA batteries to last at all in the unit. The DR-100 seems fine, but I have never had a Zoom so can't make the comparison.

The real problem is with the line out from the unit to the BMCC. I haven't gotten that to work well, no matter what level settings I use. Now I don't even connect the two, simply use the BMCC internal mic, and sync later. Not ideal but...

Another boost for the H6, which adapts pretty darn well with the BMCC. I've level matched both my Canon DSLR and BMCC to be used with the line out of the H6. Input 5-6 are panned mono and 3-4 are panned L-R as standard, but can be adjusted individually. For run and gun, I pan my wireless mics center and the internal or external stereo mics to L/R. That way I'll always have a "backup" recording going to camera.

The headphone output has it's own volume knob separate from the line out but I believe that the "mix" is the same. For my use, battery life on the H6 is phenomenal, even with phantom powered mics.
Mats Helgesson
Cinematographer
Grandpa Electric

Jon Braeley

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm

On the H6 can you set say, inputs 3/4 to Phantom power and they stay that way - even after powering off? And set up unputs 1 and 2 etc and they maintain settings.

That way I can quickly set up a 2 mic shoot without going into menus.

MatsHelgesson

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

emptymind wrote:On the H6 can you set say, inputs 3/4 to Phantom power and they stay that way - even after powering off? And set up unputs 1 and 2 etc and they maintain settings.

That way I can quickly set up a 2 mic shoot without going into menus.

Yes, settings are saved.
Mats Helgesson
Cinematographer
Grandpa Electric

Return to Cinematography