Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Matthew Silver

  • Posts: 116
  • Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:If you are shooting a short film, your're not posting this for free on YouTube/Vimeo straight away. Has to go through the festival circuit, probably take a year. Have to recoup the budget some how. I'd try to sell it to some TV channel. After two years, maybe post it on-line.

Feature films take of course a lot longer to go through the process of making it, post production, sales agents, distribution, marketing, theatrical, DVDs, cable, online chargeable, plus other Windows (airports, hotels) etc.

I wager, you won't see top quality work posted on-line for free any time soon.

So I say the opposite, keep those tests coming else we won't see much at all.

Jules


We shot sketch comedy short films and released them right away every week for two years for free. We shot a sic-fi web show that went through two seasons - one 13 episodes, one 22 episodes. Released them via our show website for free. Everyone's process is different, and we make stuff because we love to make stuff and share it with people, not because we're trying to make money off of it. We all have jobs for that.

As I type this, I'm importing footage from my BMCC and my BMPCC from a new comedy short film series that we're putting together for our website. We'll be releasing it for free. Doesn't make the quality any worse than if we were getting paid to do it. No disrespect intended, but it irks me when people assume that art and entertainment can only be high quality if it's paid for. We live in a time now where budgets and studios aren't needed to make good entertainment. Passion, willingness, and motivation are really the only things you need.

Every project is a test film because it can always be learned from and improved upon for the next project. Why not tell a story while doing it if you have the inkling to do so?

Matthew
Offline

Paul Kapp

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 am

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:12 pm

BMPCC test:
Offline

Larry Sullivan

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Pablito wrote:BMPCC test:

LOL, thanks for that.
Offline
User avatar

João Gomes

  • Posts: 237
  • Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:48 pm
  • Location: Lisboa, PORTUGAL

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Everywhere I look, I only see "test" footage. Its "something test", "another thing test"... Almost every video from BMD cameras users are only tests.

Dont get me wrong, they are important for every user to get used to their gear. But... and a BIG BUT...

There's only a very, very few videos shot "for good". At least available online on Vimeio and Youtube. I just want to see proper TV Commercials, Music Videos, even corporate and other stuff that really have used these cameras to their true purpose. Specially short movies or even feature movies. But I can only see a very few compared to the huge amount of "Test Shots".

Its very pleasing to see the results of the camera when properly used. I really enjoy it and so many others.

So, folks, PLEASE! Stop shooting dumb and everlasting test shots. Start writing a good story/script and go shoot! PLEASE!


viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4848
Cameraman/Editor
Offline

Jules Bushell

  • Posts: 1026
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 am
  • Location: London, England

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostMon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am

g14matthew wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:If you are shooting a short film, your're not posting this for free on YouTube/Vimeo straight away. Has to go through the festival circuit, probably take a year. Have to recoup the budget some how. I'd try to sell it to some TV channel. After two years, maybe post it on-line.

Feature films take of course a lot longer to go through the process of making it, post production, sales agents, distribution, marketing, theatrical, DVDs, cable, online chargeable, plus other Windows (airports, hotels) etc.

I wager, you won't see top quality work posted on-line for free any time soon.

So I say the opposite, keep those tests coming else we won't see much at all.

Jules


We shot sketch comedy short films and released them right away every week for two years for free. We shot a sic-fi web show that went through two seasons - one 13 episodes, one 22 episodes. Released them via our show website for free. Everyone's process is different, and we make stuff because we love to make stuff and share it with people, not because we're trying to make money off of it. We all have jobs for that.

As I type this, I'm importing footage from my BMCC and my BMPCC from a new comedy short film series that we're putting together for our website. We'll be releasing it for free. Doesn't make the quality any worse than if we were getting paid to do it. No disrespect intended, but it irks me when people assume that art and entertainment can only be high quality if it's paid for. We live in a time now where budgets and studios aren't needed to make good entertainment. Passion, willingness, and motivation are really the only things you need.

Every project is a test film because it can always be learned from and improved upon for the next project. Why not tell a story while doing it if you have the inkling to do so?

Matthew

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. But you didn't provide any links so how do we know if your's is top quality? ;)


The other problem is without much of a budget, it's much harder to market it, so few will find your gem of a film amongst the noise of bigger budget productions.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk
Offline
User avatar

Abe Loftis

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm
  • Location: Napa, CA

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostMon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 am

Pablito wrote:BMPCC test:


Okay that was great! This should at least be what the baseline standardized tests should look like. Thank you! :)
Offline
User avatar

Ulysses Paiva

  • Posts: 813
  • Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Location: Pernambuco, Brasil

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostMon Oct 28, 2013 10:54 am

g14matthew wrote:As I type this, I'm importing footage from my BMCC and my BMPCC from a new comedy short film series that we're putting together for our website. We'll be releasing it for free. Doesn't make the quality any worse than if we were getting paid to do it. No disrespect intended, but it irks me when people assume that art and entertainment can only be high quality if it's paid for. We live in a time now where budgets and studios aren't needed to make good entertainment. Passion, willingness, and motivation are really the only things you need.

Matthew


Great words. I did too realeased many shorts as soon as they got finished for free online. And it has brought many benefits, money aside. I didnt make it any different than what I make on paid jobs. And I see many shorts and other productions beeing just posted online as soon as they finish just to show to everyone their work, so it's not an exception, its very usual. I shoot commercials almost everyweek and, at least here for me, I have not a single problem publishing them online. I just not do it so often because I consider some not that great or enjoyable to watch (script, agency ideas, client demands...many reasons).
Ulysses Paiva
UPMD Filmes
http://www.upmdfilmes.com.br
Offline

Jules Bushell

  • Posts: 1026
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 am
  • Location: London, England

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostMon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Great words. I did too realeased many shorts as soon as they got finished for free online. And it has brought many benefits, money aside. I didnt make it any different than what I make on paid jobs. And I see many shorts and other productions beeing just posted online as soon as they finish just to show to everyone their work, so it's not an exception, its very usual. I shoot commercials almost everyweek and, at least here for me, I have not a single problem publishing them online. I just not do it so often because I consider some not that great or enjoyable to watch (script, agency ideas, client demands...many reasons).

Well if its commercials then no wonder we don't know that BMCC are used on them. I try to press the skip button as soon as I see any if it online. I don't watch TV shows because of them, prefer getting the box sets.

But I would agree web series that have little or no budget would be the place to find BMCC being used. I fully support going out there and making them but the trouble is where do you find them? There's no marketing budget usually so it's unlikely I'll get to know about it. If it's on YouTube than its as important as vids of cats and dogs to YouTube.

I'm just saying there is no official outlet for quality content made by filmmakers who know what they are doing but have a limited budget. Hence another reason why it will be hard to find quality BMCC or BMPCC amongst the noise.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk
Offline
User avatar

Abe Loftis

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm
  • Location: Napa, CA

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Here is a BMPCC test for all those who hate tests:
Offline
User avatar

focuspulling

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:09 pm
  • Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Abe Loftis wrote:Here is a BMPCC test for all those who hate tests:

I busted a gut laughing -- well done, right down to the detail of handheld hyperprime footage that's headachey. Added to the User Group at https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/78769862.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling
Offline
User avatar

Kofa

  • Posts: 376
  • Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:54 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 2:12 pm

"Test" video don't bother me... as long as people are shooting more than just trees and leaves. Hate those, lol.
@misterkofa
junegemini.com
Offline
User avatar

PetePolyakov

  • Posts: 199
  • Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:39 am
  • Location: Westport, CT

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm

just shot a feature film "The Recipe" on BMCC
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3303942/
will be shown on tribeca and west south festivals
so. not just tests.
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1652
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 5:13 am

GUUS wrote:This is an action feature film I directed and produced and been released this year. Shot on Panasonic HVX200 and AF100 and been released this year in Europe.



Do not forget , film is not just all about the pixel quality only ;)


Wow - some very nice shots in there. Great job.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)
Offline
User avatar

Ulysses Paiva

  • Posts: 813
  • Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Location: Pernambuco, Brasil

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Now we just got another 20.000 Pocket RAW tests!
The pocket is spreading like a plague... I dont like this stupid little bastard... the pocket!

Just kidding, fellow pockets! Didnt mean to offend anyone. There are nice tests out there. Its just would be much more practical to shoot at least a dialogue, besides great scenarios.
Ulysses Paiva
UPMD Filmes
http://www.upmdfilmes.com.br
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GaryHansen, MSN [Bot] and 298 guests