SD-Card problem RAW file system PC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LWRPhoto

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Hello dear forum!

I have the following problem and can't get any further:
I have a BMPCC 6KPro and two ProGrade SD cards (256 GB).
I had a whole evening of recordings yesterday.
One card can be copied to my PC (Win10) without any problems. The other card is in the RAW file system and cannot be read. (Why? I don't know!)
- Probably because it was changed from 5.7k to 4k in the evening - it just happened - don't ask ;-)
The recordings can be easily read and viewed on the 6KPro. But I just don't get it on the PC.

The card reader works,
the card worked before,
the drivers are up-to-date or it works with the identical card,
I've already tried it on a second PC (also Windows).

Anyone have the same problem before?
How about a workflow to get to the recordings?
Is there a simple approach?
(Is it possible to copy the data within the 6KPro from SD card to hard disk or something like that?)

I can't imagine that I'm the only one having this problem :D

Thanks in advance!

Robert Niessner

Re: SD-Card problem RAW file system PC

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Is it possible that you did format the non-readable card in the camera? And maybe chose OS X Extended as your file format? My bet is that this is what happend - as you said the camera can read the card.

Check it in the camera like this:
Tap the card on your screen. It will open the card handling screen.
There it shows LAST CLIP / CLIPS / FORMAT <- is it "exFAT" or "OS X Extended"?

If it's indeed OS X Extended then you can read it with this:
https://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Firedan1176

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 3:17 am

Hey there,

I can confirm a similar issue after shooting on an SDXC card. It's possible the situation that caused it is the card was completely filled up and the camera stopped writing to the media as the storage was completely filled. I'm not sure how this would affect the filesystem. I wonder if the metadata for the file in the file allocation table for exFAT is invalid because the camera forcibly stops recording, so Windows thinks the file(s) and/or file allocation table are corrupted? I'm not an expert in filesystems.

I can confirm that using testdisk and dd on Windows both report that it's an exFAT filesystem, however Windows sees it as RAW.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 10:18 pm

it's possible that windows start some repair on card? like chkdsk during boot, or other way to "repair" of support?
windows had bad attitude to ruin support, allocation table etc...
if you put back in camera the card work like when you shoot or not?

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 10:31 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Is it possible that you...chose OS X Extended as your file format?
That happened to me once. Camera op didn't know any better.

Personally, I'd love to see BMD's annoying maccentricity get lost on this one and have that option removed from their cameras.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 2:34 am

Camera ops should know their camera, that's not BM's fault.
And then, HFS+ is more reliable than exFAT.
I wouldn't mind if they offer NTFS alternatively to annoy the Mac users ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 7:53 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see BMD's annoying maccentricity get lost on this one and have that option removed from their cameras.

Personally I would like they remove ExFat option which is worst File system of Universe, developed for winCe, preistorico Os for mobile Microsoft, with the limits of 4gb size, not per file, but for support!!! Later expanded to bigger support but source of infinity problems.

ExFat is good when you manage smaller file like photo shoot, no more, is not developed to correct big size data management, it slow down, prone to corruption data’s, no structure to recover and more. There a reason that ExFat was leaved free patents from Microsoft and NtFs is covered and you can implemented on other Os only by reverse engineering. They keep for then the best File System, just a bit old, but evolved from when I was used to have under winNt decades ago.

I never use it under windows, I’m forced to use that under some camera photo where file size are smaller but I never think to use for big file size. Most of recovery drive statistics are from exFat hard driver.
From many years under windows (since 30) I use only NtFs and HFS+ (a 12$ driver paragon for windows) and I forget what mean loosing files, corrupted volumes and more…
In the mean time I’m the last line of recover for all friends that loose their data’s on their big exFat drives…

Ps don’t think I’m a Mac guy fanatic, I’m Os Agnostic I use from over 30 years windows, Mac, unix, and I avoid fanboys but I want only to understand the best way and work fine with it

Pps the Op told that he checked and it’s ExFat support…

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalki

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 12:39 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Is it possible that you...chose OS X Extended as your file format?
That happened to me once. Camera op didn't know any better.

I’d vote no for that.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 12:54 pm

I relied on NTFS in the 90s. That supports journaling and was a great deal more reliable that earlier file systems for Windows.

I currently only rely on exFAT for SD cards to be used in the Sound Devices MixPre audio recorders as that is their strongly recommended file format. Having a recording failure on the MixPre would be a disaster so I took their advice. Use on their bespoke 32GB file and my Wise Advanced SDXC 128GB card that primarily serves as my fallback in the event of disaster or for the annual music festival here which involves many hours of recording in 32bit float.
Rick Lang

Firedan1176

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 3:59 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:it's possible that windows start some repair on card? like chkdsk during boot, or other way to "repair" of support?
windows had bad attitude to ruin support, allocation table etc...
if you put back in camera the card work like when you shoot or not?

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't get a notification. Yes, can confirm the card is still readable in the camera even though Windows doesn't recognize it. I can't imagine Windows would do anything to the disk during boot or mounting that would write to the card like that?

I ended up taking a dd image of the card and recovering the footage using a hex editor because other forensics tools couldn't recognize anything. Was fairly straightforward to recognize start and end bytes that include metadata and raw footage.

Even after this, I was able to simply run chkdsk to repair and get access to the shots on the drive (after making a dd image for backup), however two shots were missing in the middle of the series of shots and didn't show up in camera either (probably completely unrelated to this other issue). Was able to recover both shots as well using a hex editor to find start and end bytes, then simply copy using offset with dd command.

Return to Cinematography