Camera v1.5 released

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Camera v1.5 released

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 am

Hi guys,

Blackmagic Camera v1.5 has just been released.

This update adds lossless CinemaDNG RAW support to the Pocket Cinema Camera.

We recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SD card if you're going to be recording RAW.

The lossless CinemaDNG RAW will work in DaVinci Resolve and applications from Adobe like Photoshop and Lightroom. However, the Preview and Quick Look feature in OS X is not compatible and you will not see a proper image. This has been reported to Apple. Hopefully, they will have an update that will address this.

Johan Cramer

Re: Camera v1.5 released

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:06 am

Just tried Blackmagic Camera Utility, and it tells me that my BMPC "is up to date" (with the old firmware). Has there been a delay in providing the update?

- EDIT: Ah, realized that I need to download a new version of the Camera Utility. Got it. -
Last edited by Johan Cramer on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 am

paragram wrote:Just tried Blackmagic Camera Utility, and it tells me that my BMPC "is up to date" (with the old firmware). Has there been a delay in providing the update?

You need to download the latest Camera Utility. The old Camera Utility does not download the latest firmware, it only installs the firmware it contains.

Download ver 1.5 here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

ungovernedreason

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 am

Finally...now lets get those bmcc's fixed up!
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 am

Waiter, this format is RAW!

Mapas Depique

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:18 am

What´s about the Bmcc ??!

Nilscrompton

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 am

Lovely.

Milen Mladenov

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 am

Mapas wrote:What´s about the Bmcc ??!

+ 1

timbutt2

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 am

Seriously, what about the Blackmagic Cinema Camera?! No one really cares about the Pocket Camera in comparison to the Cinema Camera or the Production Camera. Please fix the issues with the Cinema Camera now. This is getting to be a joke.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Mapas Depique

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 am

Please we are in the cinematography forum, why talk only about Bmpcc !?
You know many people who make movies with this toy ?!

raduraduradu

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

YESS! My Cineroid EVF (the older 4LE one) is now officially working after this update. Something probably also happened under the hood.

thomas bruegger

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

BMCC update, please. +1
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Mark Davies

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 am

What happened to my camera? Well done BM team! Shockingly good.
Mark Davies

marfin

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 am

bmcc update please +1

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 pm

WOW, loving the RAW, it really has some legs in post - it just keeps going and going -

Thanks Blackmagic.

Now to make some movies with my Pocket Camera!

Andy.
:ugeek:

Panamatom

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Great news! Is anybody able to make some original raw files from the pocket available?

Thanks!

Andrew Reid

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Fantastic!!

Is this the new losslessly compressed 2:1 raw, or is it uncompressed (same as BMCC)?
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

Panamatom

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:Fantastic!!

Is this the new losslessly compressed 2:1 raw, or is it uncompressed (same as BMCC)?

It is the lossless compressed raw (mention the first post).

Nigel Smith

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 pm

marfin wrote:bmcc update please +1

+1 more ;)

Peter Östlund

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Is there any reason to update the BMCC to 1.5?

Peter

AlienOne

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Awesome! I'll hopefully be getting my BMPCC in the next couple of weeks... :mrgreen:

pelicanzero

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Wow! This would be awesome if I actually had my camera.....instead... BMD has had it since the 1st to fix a mount issue..... :cry:
Mike Lee

Vyacheslav Gryaznoff

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Thank you, thank you!!!
It is a really great news.

mschroevers

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 1:52 pm

I have upgraded my pocket CC to Camera v1.5
First: It won't record RAW on my 128 Gb Sandisk Extreme cards that BM recommends for both ProRes and RAW on the BMPCC webpage. Formatted either MacOS Extended (journalled) or EX FAT.
Second: after a few tries it won't even recognize the SD cards anymore (RAW or ProRes) The screen says: No SD.
What happened and how do I solve both problems?

Tom

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 2:12 pm

mschroevers wrote:I have upgraded my pocket CC to Camera v1.5
First: It won't record RAW on my 128 Gb Sandisk Extreme cards that BM recommends for both ProRes and RAW on the BMPCC webpage. Formatted either MacOS Extended (journalled) or EX FAT.
Second: after a few tries it won't even recognize the SD cards anymore (RAW or ProRes) The screen says: No SD.
What happened and how do I solve both problems?

I see they recommend the Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I - but not the 128 GB version, where does it say that the 128 GB version is ok for Raw?

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 849&os=win
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

joechiazza

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

I see the v1.5 update is out for the BMCC but it doesn't state any of the update features!? Seriously, what is going on with that?

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Peter:

This update only impacts the Pocket Cinema Camera. It adds CinemaDNG RAW recording support for Pocket Cinema Camera.

Terry

nicfargo

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Where are the updates and fixes for the BMCC?!? Are you guys completely ignoring this camera now? I was a strong supporter of this camera, but now I'm just getting ticked off. The past two firmware updates have been all about that damn Pocket Camera, and nothing has been fixed for the BMCC. Get it together guys! If you can't fix things, hire a couple of the folks from Magic Lantern, I hear they're great at crap like this. If you don't ever plan on doing more with the BMCC, please, let us know so we can quit hoping.

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Regarding Blackmagic Cinema Camera firmware questions, we absolutely are still working on the camera. From Kristian Lam this morning on another thread.

I can assure you the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is not forgotten. There is some work involved in order to get the first camera we have ever made up to speed with what we have learnt working on the Pocket Cinema Camera and once that has happen, more cool stuff will happen.

Terry

Randy Walters

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

I'd just like to say “thank you” to Terry and all the folks at BMD. A camera that shoots lossless RAW for less than $1K... it truly is a remarkable achievement. The pairing of the BMPCC with the BMCC delivers an incredible A/B cam system for the investment.

With all the grousing, I know it can seem like a thankless slog – but I believe there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

By coincidence, the update comes on the same day as the first snow of the season here in Rhode Island; time to get outside and get a taste!

bhook

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm

"More cool stuff" hardly addresses the very specific BMCC firmware requests that have been made repeatedly over the last 18 or so months.

John Palaganas

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Good thing I have a few Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SD card from my GH2 hacked firmware days :mrgreen:

joechiazza

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm

nicfargo wrote:Where are the updates and fixes for the BMCC?!? Are you guys completely ignoring this camera now? I was a strong supporter of this camera, but now I'm just getting ticked off. The past two firmware updates have been all about that damn Pocket Camera, and nothing has been fixed for the BMCC. Get it together guys! If you can't fix things, hire a couple of the folks from Magic Lantern, I hear they're great at crap like this. If you don't ever plan on doing more with the BMCC, please, let us know so we can quit hoping.

I'm actually a big supporter of BMD and I also feel a little frustrated that the BMCC hasn't had any updates in a while.

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Randy Walters wrote:I'd just like to say “thank you” to Terry and all the folks at BMD. A camera that shoots lossless RAW for less than $1K... it truly is a remarkable achievement. The pairing of the BMPCC with the BMCC delivers an incredible A/B cam system for the investment.

With all the grousing, I know it can seem like a thankless slog – but I believe there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

By coincidence, the update comes on the same day as the first snow of the season here in Rhode Island; time to get outside and get a taste!

Well said and enjoy the fall weather!

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Randy:

Thank you for the kind words.

Although no snow up here in Lowell MA yet. But you can feel it coming. It begins again.

Terry

Apo

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Marshall Harrington wrote:
Randy Walters wrote:I'd just like to say “thank you” to Terry and all the folks at BMD. A camera that shoots lossless RAW for less than $1K... it truly is a remarkable achievement. The pairing of the BMPCC with the BMCC delivers an incredible A/B cam system for the investment.

Totally agree.... especially now with numerous updates that addressed some issues that were there earlier.
I was looking to invest in a canon c100 or sony fs100/700 with and a external recorder.

But now a BMCC + BMPC , hyperdeck for bmpcc , some batteries and 2x 1tb SSD, ND filter, I'm still within the body only price of the c100.

I wonder if it will be possible to record the raw footage to a blackmagic hyperdeck with ssd?(using the blackmagic pocket)

joechiazza

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Apo wrote:
Marshall Harrington wrote:

Totally agree.... especially now with numerous updates that addressed some issues that were there earlier.
I was looking to invest in a canon c100 or sony fs100/700 with and a external recorder.

But now a BMCC + BMPC , hyperdeck for bmpcc , some batteries and 2x 1tb SSD, ND filter, I'm still within the body only price of the c100.

I wonder if it will be possible to record the raw footage to a blackmagic hyperdeck with ssd?(using the blackmagic pocket)

does the hyper deck record the lossless raw too?

Tom Fuldner

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Very impressive!

The Pocket continues to amaze and impress.

Many thanks, BMD!

Tom

SteveNunez

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm

This is an absolute joke......I've purchased the pricey recommended Sandisk 128GB SD card only to find out it does NOT work in RAW mode and I must now go out and buy a smaller 64GB version which would only hold moments of footage before being filled........this just doesn't make sense!
Very disappointed~ Now I guess there will be 2 lists of approved SD cards, those that work for ProRes and those that work for RAW.

Back to the GH3 again!
(Anyone in south Florida want a mint BMPCC- too many issues for me!)
steve@stevenunez.com

Apo

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Not at the moment i think, thats why i said I wonder if it will be possible , why shouldn't it be possible?(I am not expert at all , but I am not sure what the limitation could be).
Otherwise it will still be handy to have for prores, but an other brand could also be useful since it can double as ext. monitor

Johan Cramer

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

SteveNunez wrote:This is an absolute joke......I've purchased the pricey recommended Sandisk 128GB SD card only to find out it does NOT work in RAW mode

AFAIK, there currently is no 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card, only a slower 128GB Sandisk Extreme with 45 MB/s.

SteveNunez

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:28 pm

BM has a list of approved SD cards that mentions the 128GB card, I purchased it and this does NOT work with the RAW mode.......when you press the "record" button the camera quickly flashes the "REC" text on the lower part of the screen but obviously doesn't record any footage.......obviously the card is too slow to record the RAW data rate, but this is most frustrating as I can imagine how little footage the approved 64GB SD card is going to capture........as much as I want to like this pocket camera there just seems to be too many issues to be really useful......I think the larger BMCC is a better solution, this pocket camera is too quirky and doesn't seem practical for any real capture other than a few moments of capture as a B cam.
In time I'm sure there will be many faster cards as 4K is now approaching the consumer level and thus card speeds will raise exponentially, but presently our option is limited to a single 64GB sd card!

Ihab Ali

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:38 pm

SteveNunez wrote:This is an absolute joke......I've purchased the pricey recommended Sandisk 128GB SD card only to find out it does NOT work in RAW mode and I must now go out and buy a smaller 64GB version which would only hold moments of footage before being filled........this just doesn't make sense!
Very disappointed~ Now I guess there will be 2 lists of approved SD cards, those that work for ProRes and those that work for RAW.

Back to the GH3 again!
(Anyone in south Florida want a mint BMPCC- too many issues for me!)
steve@stevenunez.com

yep, no Extreme Pro 128GB...I think you're referring to the Extreme rated at 80MBps? at 2-3MB a frame theortically this card should also work but I don't think you'll ever get even half of the 80MBps on this card anyway in write mode.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Seriously? Anyone thought a 45 mb/s card (it say so on the label!) would record raw? It's been discussed, albeit a good while ago, that only 90 mb/s cards are good for raw, and of that i'd only rely on the sandisk extreme pro line.

It's cool to finally see this pretty cam live up to it's full (and advertised...) potential! Now if only i could get one... after 8 months of preorder i've seen so much promises kept, now BM only needs to keep their promise to deliver the damn thin to europe!

Are there any other updates in this new firmware, besides raw?

Ihab Ali

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm

SteveNunez wrote:but this is most frustrating as I can imagine how little footage the approved 64GB SD card is going to capture........as much as I want to like this pocket camera there just seems to be too many issues to be really useful

based on what I've read on the frame size it should handle around 20minutes on a single 64GB card in raw.

John Waldorff

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 5:14 pm

loopyfilms wrote:

+1 more ;)

+1

joechiazza

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 5:16 pm

John Waldorff wrote:
loopyfilms wrote:

+1 more ;)

+1

+5

Nikolay Smirnov

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Relax guys, they will release next firmware in about a month, I bet on 14 of December.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jorge Molinari

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks Blackmagic. It’ll be a good 5 hours till I get home to play with the Pocket. I’ll take the raw update, but I’m curious, was anything else included in the update? Hint: Something to do with sound and levels maybe? Preamps? Anything on formatting or time left on the SD card?

Marc Tschudi

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Just tested it out - it's very impressive. Thanks Blackmagic!
Next

Return to Cinematography