Camera v1.5 released

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Flat4

Re: Camera v1.5 released

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Joe Gonzalez wrote:Well i updated my BMCC2.5 with the firmware, why?? you say, maybe hope, maybe dreams but my camera is officially dead. Wont turn back on. Ive been nothing but patient with this camera and the company, a champion of sorts but this really sucks.

Another reason to change the title, you know... to avoid THIS.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Joe Gonzalez wrote:Well i updated my BMCC2.5 with the firmware, why?? you say, maybe hope, maybe dreams but my camera is officially dead. Wont turn back on. Ive been nothing but patient with this camera and the company, a champion of sorts but this really sucks.

Joe, someone here in forum wrote about a similar problem and he was able to revive the camera by hanging it via USB to the computer and pressing some buttons and suddenly the camera came back.
Not sure if I remember this right, but he was pressing PLAY and POWER together or REC and POWER, something like that.

You might give that a try.

EDIT:
here is the procedure: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15135
In that case it was a BMPC but I guess it doesn't matter.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

ultraracingph

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:58 pm

momentusstudios wrote:I have been able to shoot RAW on my 128GB Sandisk Extreme Card (both of them). They are the 80/mbs versions.

RAW recorded just fine when I went handheld and did some quick pans and zooms, no dropped frames (REC stayed solid whole time).

Only issue is getting Premiere Pro CC to see the damn CinemaDNG files properly to send to Resolve.

This is good news as I was looking into getting two of the 128gb Sandisk Extreme Cards 80/mbs. Have you tried recording longer footage and testing it on your computer for dropped frames? Maybe it won't have dropped frames for short bursts of footage. But how about for longer shots? Thanks in advance for your input on this matter. :)

Vince Gaffney

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 8:05 pm

focuspulling wrote:
vjmelzer wrote:For my first post, +1 to the troubling development that my 128 GB Sandisk Extreme card is no longer working for *any* form of video recording after this update. I tried filming with RAW (unaware, at the time, that this card was no longer officially going to be supported for RAW recording on the BPCC), to which the REC wouldn't stay on (though I noticed that it did create a few folders in quick succession on the card). I then quickly switched back to ProRes setting, but it no longer recognizes the card and says 'No SD' on the screen. Yikes.

To add to the confusion, now I read this latest post about the same 128 GB card actually working for RAW recording--out of curiosity, how is your card formatted? Mine is ExFat…

Thanks for any help, am secretly hoping my newly-purchased 128 GB card ultimately isn't useless for RAW recording…

I don't get it; how are people surprised that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC can't keep up? Anyone who performed basic research on securing SD cards for the BMPC took note that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC card only comes in the 45 MB/s variety (approximately 40 MB/s write speed). There have been numerous discussions here predicting that 40 MB/s is far from enough for RAW capture.

There is no 128gb SDXC card at the 80 MB/s read speed rating, and certainly not at 95 MB/s -- something widely understood many months before this day.

Why don't you read the guy's entire post before you offer a condescending answer. And get your facts straight on the 128GB 80 MBs cards.

Brian@202020

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

I updated mine as well to see if there were any undocumented changes like the undocumented HDMI change I found in the BMPCC. Unlike yours my BMCC updated fine, but unfortunately I didn't find any changes.

joechiazza

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:

I updated mine as well to see if there were any undocumented changes like the undocumented HDMI change I found in the BMPCC. Unlike yours my BMCC updated fine, but unfortunately I didn't find any changes.

My BMCC updated fine too but nothing changed. :cry:

ChrisBarcellos

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Sound was affected with undocumented changes in at least two releases. Anyone notice any changes in that realm for the BMCC ?

Joe Gonzalez

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 pm

This worked. The camera was off wouldn't start, i plugged it into the usb and power and started pushing buttons and something worked. Thanks

Robert Niessner wrote:

Joe, someone here in forum wrote about a similar problem and he was able to revive the camera by hanging it via USB to the computer and pressing some buttons and suddenly the camera came back.
Not sure if I remember this right, but he was pressing PLAY and POWER together or REC and POWER, something like that.

You might give that a try.

EDIT:
here is the procedure: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15135
In that case it was a BMPC but I guess it doesn't matter.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Flat4

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm

They should write that down in the manual. If you brick your camera please connect to USB and press buttons. ah man this camera is a ticking time bomb. Sad but true.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Glad to hear it worked Joe :-)
I can image how your heart stopped for a second after the camera went down... not funny.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Nick Colombini

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 am

Same thing happened to me with the Bmpcc, plugged it in via USB and started button mashing while plugging/unplugging until the camera was recognized and began updating...

who2host

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 am

I just wanted to add my voice to those that want the BMCC updated.

joechiazza

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 am

who2host wrote:I just wanted to add my voice to those that want the BMCC updated.

I'm really looking forward to it too. Hopefully it's really good, that's why it's taking so long.

Steve DiMaggio

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 am

I want it added too, as an owner of a bmcc who has had 1 update I think since I bought in july and a bmpcc owner who has had 2 in a couple months, Fix the F'ing black dot issue on the bmcc!

Steve

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 am

"Import the footage into Resolve first. Then round trip to Premiere Pro."

Can someone explain "round tripping" in detail.

Paul Kapp

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 am

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 10:51 am

Was anything else changes in 1.5?
The changelog only mentions the raw feature.
(And I can fully understand why one would like to push out this feature as soon as possible.)

Is there a bug tracker or list of issues still in the queue?
* audio levels
* disable auto-iris and focus-reset when switching on the camera or leaving preview mode (consistent shooting)
* auto-iris using only single brightest pixel instead of average brightness
* OIS with lenses that have no switch for it (Missing proprietary Panasonic command code)
* 14-42PZ lens not shut down (lens tubus doesn't close up again)

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Mark Jamerson wrote:A lot of people will complain about this and that but thanks BMD for delivering before Christmas

And somehow, voicing your opinion about being dissapointed in BMD for saying releases are coming, but they dont, is complaining?

Its a dissapoinment. Period. no discussion needed. BMD dropped the ball on the first camera and is pandering to the pocket cam buyers. I understand it, its a business, and theyre in it to make money, lots of it.

However, this running "joke" with the BMCC needs to end.

yeah, +1 for the BMCC update.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 3:31 pm

nilsio wrote:
Randy Walters wrote:there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

I definitely agree, if the mountain of praise I hear out in real life were on this forum it would have a very different tone!

In the NY/NJ/PA market where I work, for a living, this is NOT the case, based on my experience with owner/operators of the BMCC.

Not even close.

sean mclennan

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Was anything else changes in 1.5?
The changelog only mentions the raw feature.
(And I can fully understand why one would like to push out this feature as soon as possible.)

Is there a bug tracker or list of issues still in the queue?
* audio levels
* disable auto-iris and focus-reset when switching on the camera or leaving preview mode (consistent shooting)
* auto-iris using only single brightest pixel instead of average brightness
* OIS with lenses that have no switch for it (Missing proprietary Panasonic command code)
* 14-42PZ lens not shut down (lens tubus doesn't close up again)

Are you talking about the BMCC or the Pocket cam? The M4/3 BMCC has a dumb mount, so that would never operate OIS.

I imagine the auto iris uses the brightest point because it's somewhat tied to your zebra setting. If I change my zebra setting (and nothing else) auto iris gives me a different aperture. Would be a nice feature though.

Steve DiMaggio

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
nilsio wrote:
Randy Walters wrote:there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

I definitely agree, if the mountain of praise I hear out in real life were on this forum it would have a very different tone!

In the NY/NJ/PA market where I work, for a living, this is NOT the case, based on my experience with owner/operators of the BMCC.

Not even close.

I can echo this

Mike Schrengohst

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Heh, I sold my pocket camera. I did not like it.

I still have my BMCC MFT.

Good luck to pocket users.

Please fix the BMCC audio now…...

Nikolay Smirnov

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Guys! I think the black dot issue was patched on the BMCC in the new firmware!

Could anyone check that, please?
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Wayne Steven

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 1:41 am

c131frdave wrote:I'm just curious. Does Black Magic have any issues with "outside" people taking their firmware and "tweaking" it like Magic Lantern does with the DSLRs? I realize the ML DSLR software is more of an add-on than a firmware hack, but clearly there are a lot of talented programmers out there that could address some of the issues folks are talking about with the BM cameras and turn them into absolute DSLR slayers. I have a feeling BM software engineers are swamped with getting the 4k camera squared away right now and working on other things, so having "fresh eyes" work on the PCC and CC might be helpful to the community.

+10

I agree, no copy right has to be violated, and parts under NDA quarantined from the updatable parts.

I am giving up for now. no raw 50/48p compressed or uncompressed recording for pocket or 4k, even via HDMI output (you can data pack two Bayer frames in a 4:2:2 frame, three in 4:4:4. and maybe in another format using alpha). Most of the other fixes mentioned above are far easier than Raw recording. The one about setting the lens iris to the last used, was also my immediate thought, you can set everything to last used.

I can imagine that the reason for the compressed Raw delay might have been card testing and finding out the exact setup for performance on the 4k camera.

Hopefully see you next April.

Wayne.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 3:26 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Guys! I think the black dot issue was patched on the BMCC in the new firmware!

It is not listed in the attached descrip of the patch.

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:15 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Guys! I think the black dot issue was patched on the BMCC in the new firmware!

I believe you are correct. Just shot into a super bright light wide open, no "black dot"...cant be for sure though, sun has gone down on my end.

qowieury

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:39 am

So I updated my camera and put in the PNY card that I had been using for proRes. I tried recording raw. It seemed to work, but when I opened the card on the computer it just showed a small wav file in the folder.

I expected to have to buy a new card, but I just was wondering if this means for sure that my card is too slow, or if I am missing something. It seems strange to me that it seems to record just fine.

Sean Hegarty

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 2:42 pm

BMCC!
Need I say more?
Oh!
That's right. Where is my BMPC 4K I preordered 4 months ago for delivery in four to six weeks?

christiangruner

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

qowieury wrote:So I updated my camera and put in the PNY card that I had been using for proRes. I tried recording raw. It seemed to work, but when I opened the card on the computer it just showed a small wav file in the folder.

I expected to have to buy a new card, but I just was wondering if this means for sure that my card is too slow, or if I am missing something. It seems strange to me that it seems to record just fine.

How long did you record for ? I've seen this with very short recordings (duration under 15-30 frames)

Steve DiMaggio

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:

I believe you are correct. Just shot into a super bright light wide open, no "black dot"...cant be for sure though, sun has gone down on my end.

wow if that is true, holy crap does BM have the worst communication ever with their customers

qowieury

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 3:44 pm

christiangruner wrote:
qowieury wrote:So I updated my camera and put in the PNY card that I had been using for proRes. I tried recording raw. It seemed to work, but when I opened the card on the computer it just showed a small wav file in the folder.

How long did you record for ? I've seen this with very short recordings (duration under 15-30 frames)

Several times. Once 1 minute, once 2 minutes, once a few seconds. Every time it makes a folder with a wav file of less than a megabyte.

LDS

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:25 pm

mhood wrote:"More cool stuff" hardly addresses the very specific BMCC firmware requests that have been made repeatedly over the last 18 or so months.

Yeah. I had the same reaction...

MikeMeagher

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 6:20 pm

I for one will say "thank you" to Blackmagic Design staff for this update to the Pocket Cinema Camera.
I appreciate it.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

killout

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 pm

raduraduradu wrote:YESS! My Cineroid EVF (the older 4LE one) is now officially working after this update. Something probably also happened under the hood.

Mine don`t work also after update. What wire did you use?what is your setting?answer please and thanks radu

Mike Schrengohst

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 8:04 pm

LDS wrote:
mhood wrote:"More cool stuff" hardly addresses the very specific BMCC firmware requests that have been made repeatedly over the last 18 or so months.

Yeah. I had the same reaction...

It's funny - but when the pocket came out - I ordered two…
Then the BMCC price drop spurred me to buy a BMCC MFT
and cancel one of the pockets…

So when my other pocket finally arrived - I was disappointed in the image quality
vs. the BMCC….so I sold the pocket. The image quality of the BMCC MFT is excellent.
Even with it's quirks it is a camera that I use for higher profile projects.

So if you are thinking of the pocket….look at the BMCC for a grand more.
You won't go wrong.

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 2:27 am

Steve DiMaggio wrote:
Csaba Nagy wrote:

wow if that is true, holy crap does BM have the worst communication ever with their customers

Hi, i have just make a test, i dont know if i do correct, i shot on 2.8 a direct to a very high light, in spain its night, tomorrow y will do the same test with the sun, but in my test, no blackdot appears. You can see in the video youtube:

://youtu.be/qP21OurgdXg

LoganStewartDP

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 pm

I can confirm (due to the sun being out) that this update did NOT fix the black sun issue. The test on youtube isn't bright enough to clip the sensor to the point of complete failure. Hopefully one day Blackmagic will fix some of theses issues :|

Logan S.
Cinematographer
BMCC MFT 2.5k
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 pm

streetlightmedia wrote:I can confirm (due to the sun being out) that this update did NOT fix the black sun issue. The test on youtube isn't bright enough to clip the sensor to the point of complete failure. Hopefully one day Blackmagic will fix some of theses issues :|

Logan S.
Cinematographer
BMCC MFT 2.5k

Hi, Thanx!

LoganStewartDP

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am

Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:58 am

streetlightmedia wrote:https://vimeo.com/79631067

Thanx! for you the video, Definitively it has not been fix, anyway if they have done it in the pocket, I hope that they it do the bmcc.
After reading a lot of these problem, I believe that it is not good for the sensor to expose it to so high lights that make damage the sensor with the clipping, suppose that with ND filter will solves that problem does and not appear. Otherwise make black dot on the sensor will not be good for the life of this one.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 am

Strange, it behaives different and doesn't show black dot on my point light as it did on 1.4.2
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Strange, it behaives different and doesn't show black dot on my point light as it did on 1.4.2

it would may be the sensor its not the same in all cameras and this make that not all cameras fixed the balck dot. its your camera new?
I try to do the test with sun tomorrow.My camera its new.

archcat

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Has anyone else noticed that with this update that the camera starts flashing card full, even thought the card is only half full? I haven't tried on Prores, but with raw it certainly does it. I have a SanDisk extreme pro 32gb.

Mark

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm

jrojasm wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Strange, it behaives different and doesn't show black dot on my point light as it did on 1.4.2

it would may be the sensor its not the same in all cameras and this make that not all cameras fixed the balck dot. its your camera new?
I try to do the test with sun tomorrow.My camera its new.

I have only one unit which is 5 months old. It did show black dot on the light, and now it doesnt, how strange is that
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Anand Vyas

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Thank you for the advice below - the cams work great now since the update.
Last edited by Anand Vyas on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 pm

sitarist, I can recommend to you the Samsung 840 500 GB SSDs. Haven't had a single dropped frame with them - even when recording 3,5 h continuously in a row. Only thing is you have to make them thicker by using a shim (bought or DIY)
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Mike Schrengohst

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 pm

sitarist wrote:Honestly - thats great news on the BMPCC, but where is the CINEMA CAMERA UPDATE ? You know the FLAGSHIP CAMERA until the Production Camera is out ? How many DROPPED FRAMES and problems must I encounter on BOTH of my 480GB Sandisk Extremes (the thick ones you recommend not the Extreme II's) to give me just two continuous days without dropping frames and ruining entire shoots. I am about to ask someone to trade my Camera with 3,000 in Rigging PLUS 2 Sandisk 480 GB and 1 240 GB disk for a Canon C100 just the body. That comes out to $7,500 but AT LEAST I WOULD HAVE FOOTAGE.

Hmmm, I use the same disc and have had zero problems. Are you formatting the card after you have copied footage over? Is this RAW or ProRes recording?

Kent Fry

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 am

Raw works beautifully. About 10mins on a Sandisk 64GB 90Mb/s card, no dropped frames. Frames dropped with Sandisk 128GB Extreme Plus 60Mb/s card. Got a Kinotehnik loupe with diopter and it fits and works well. Use a Wooden Camera cage and a Rode Video Mic Pro. Together they all produce great pictures and sound in a small package. I got spare batteries from Better Batt, SKU BBCB-295. They run down to 2% and charge up normally.

Andreas Kaufmann

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 am

Hopefully they update the BMCC soon. I can't await Grant Petty's promise to give us sharper Prores.
Also uncompressed RAW would be nice before I start my short film.

They don't have to give us thousand features with one update. I would prefer a little update once in a while than a big update every year.
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm

I can Conform that black dot have not been fixed. In lower aperture and high ligh appear. New camera update to 1.5 Firmware
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography