Camera v1.5 released

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SarahChana

Re: Camera v1.5 released

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 pm

AndiDieMaus wrote:They don't have to give us thousand features with one update. I would prefer a little update once in a while than a big update every year.

I agree, and it beats silence. It feels like the camera I got 2 months ago has been abandoned. We live in a world where devices are updated constantly. BMD seemed to be that world. My BMCC seemed to be the iPhone (as in popular, pretty and not cheap) of the cinema camera world. Unfortunately it seems to be the ugly step-sister instead.

P.S. My iPhone 3GS received updates and new functionality for 5 years. It set the bar. When I got it I didn't expect all it would do in the future. Those updates made it endure. The BMCC feels like unrealized potential. I love it, but my intuition tells me it can do more if it wasn't being hobbled by locked firmware.

David Dearing

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 pm

I think they are just growing their product line faster than they should. I see lots of new products from BM, but if you don't have the employee base to support the multitude of product launches, you should slow down (and stifle the new product announcements before the products are ready for prime time). We know that there has to be some serious heat on the development team to get the 4k camera going from upstairs. I'm betting 95% the camera production team are focusing solely on the 4k camera, 5% on the PCC because it is a new item, and as soon as they get the 4k squared away the 2.5k camera will get some attention. If they went open source, a lot of their headaches would go away...

On another note (and off subject), I wonder what the issue with the 4k camera is exactly....
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

c131frdave wrote:I think they are just growing their product line faster than they should. I see lots of new products from BM, but if you don't have the employee base to support the multitude of product launches, you should slow down (and stifle the new product announcements before the products are ready for prime time). We know that there has to be some serious heat on the development team to get the 4k camera going from upstairs. I'm betting 95% the camera production team are focusing solely on the 4k camera, 5% on the PCC because it is a new item, and as soon as they get the 4k squared away the 2.5k camera will get some attention. If they went open source, a lot of their headaches would go away...

On another note (and off subject), I wonder what the issue with the 4k camera is exactly....

Im think the same but.......i supose the BMCC 4k will not have the black dot and more new in the interface, because the update of all cameras is the same and 4k vs 2.5k will not variate so far in the SO and the cmos, in the nex firmware when the 4k released all this problem in the 2.5k will we solved.......i supose.......the canon 5d Mark 2 that can recrd in raw never update de offcila firmware to get it, only fr make the people to buy the canon 5d mark 3. I hope that blackmagic not be as patetic canon support

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:04 pm

streetlightmedia wrote:https://vimeo.com/79631067

Hi with this video i have make a different removing of the black dot when its appear two o more times in the same scene and disappear. here is the video un fix and fix, if anyone its insteresting i can make alittle tutorial.
If anyone have a prores video with appear a black dot ( normal scen not forcer like this one ) please send me to make the tutorial. Thanx

David Chapman

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm

I've been searching, but I can't find the email or press release where Grant Petty talked about a future firmware update for all cameras (including the BMCC) that enhanced the downsampling for ProRes recording, making images sharper. It also alluded to a new focus assist (probably the green one we saw at NAB 2013 on the 4K camera).

Anyone know where to find this?
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 pm

SarahChana wrote:BMD seemed to be that world. My BMCC seemed to be the iPhone (as in popular, pretty and not cheap) of the cinema camera world. Unfortunately it seems to be the ugly step-sister instead.

P.S. My iPhone 3GS received updates and new functionality for 5 years. It set the bar. When I got it I didn't expect all it would do in the future. Those updates made it endure. The BMCC feels like unrealized potential. I love it, but my intuition tells me it can do more if it wasn't being hobbled by locked firmware.

People should really stop comparing BMD to Apple.
Apple are one of the wealthiest corporations on the planet, with billions of customers. BMD would have what…. 20 employees? Probably much less than one million customers.
It's like comparing Walmart with a corner shop.
Chris Whitten

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 11:07 pm

David Chapman wrote:I've been searching, but I can't find the email or press release where Grant Petty talked about a future firmware update for all cameras (including the BMCC) that enhanced the downsampling for ProRes recording, making images sharper. It also alluded to a new focus assist (probably the green one we saw at NAB 2013 on the 4K camera).

Anyone know where to find this?

I got the email August 2nd:

Camera Update

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now shipping and there is a software update for it posted on our web site.

There are some new features in the software for the Pocket Cinema Camera. You can now focus by pushing the focus button when using an active MFT lens. This makes it very easy to accurately focus. The focus peaking feature is still there and you enable it by double pressing the focus button. The focus zoom feature is enabled by double pressing the OK button.

There will be an update for the 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera soon that will also add these features, plus new de-bayer processing that will improve the cameras sharpness when shooting non RAW files.

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about 3 to 4 weeks once the final software work and testing is completed.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

SarahChana

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 3:03 pm

chrisso wrote:
SarahChana wrote:BMD seemed to be that world. My BMCC seemed to be the iPhone (as in popular, pretty and not cheap) of the cinema camera world. Unfortunately it seems to be the ugly step-sister instead.

Apple are one of the wealthiest corporations on the planet, with billions of customers. BMD would have what…. 20 employees? Probably much less than one million customers.

Nonsense, they bet their entire business on iPod, and then iPhone. They almost went bankrupt and were bailed out at a point by a competitor. They figured out what people needed and did that. They did it quickly too. They did not always gave billions. The BMCC is cool and people ran to it, but it does feel cast aside now.

Paul Kapp

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 pm

SarahChana wrote:
chrisso wrote:

Nonsense, they bet their entire business on iPod, and then iPhone. They almost went bankrupt and were bailed out at a point by a competitor. They figured out what people needed and did that. They did it quickly too. They did not always gave billions. The BMCC is cool and people ran to it, but it does feel cast aside now.

Don't compare apple to BMD.
Apple stole the ipod off Creative and on the back of their marketing success of the ipod, stole a bunch of other peoples's IP to make the iphone. They then turned around and tried to destroy their biggest competitor with "thermonuclear" litigation instead of making a better product. Millions of apple customers support this behaviour when apple really deserves to go down in thermonuclear flames.
iphones are overpriced outdated lo-tech stolen technology and apple are more like the ugly stepsister than any corporation I can think of.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Pablito wrote:iphones are overpriced outdated lo-tech stolen technology and apple are more like the ugly stepsister than any corporation I can think of.

Wait. Outdated compared to what? Any examples?

Sorry for offtopic, just being curious.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

joechiazza

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:
Pablito wrote:iphones are overpriced outdated lo-tech stolen technology and apple are more like the ugly stepsister than any corporation I can think of.

Guys. I don't think we should turn this into a iPhone battle. Clearly it's a great piece of hardware, as are many other phones as well.

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

joechiazza wrote:Clearly it's a great piece of hardware,

... as is the Blackmagic Cinema Camera where are here to discuss, aren't we?

Paul Kapp

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:

Ummmm.
Compared to anything Android.

Paul Kapp

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 pm

joechiazza wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:

Guys. I don't think we should turn this into a iPhone battle. Clearly it's a great piece of hardware, as are many other phones as well.

When it comes to the ugly apple I can't help myself but I'm willing not to mention them if others don't compare BMD and their cameras to apple and the iphone.

SarahChana

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 am

My point is that the BMCC is incredible, and also that I don't agree with people who seem to think we should just be grateful and not ask for updates. I don't want to deal with a black hole in my picture and I'd like more EF lenses to work. Why didn't BMD hurry to fix that, like they seem to have for the BMPC

Chris Whitten

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 am

IPods and iPhones are consumer products.
You just can't compare the customer service and pace of product development between Apple - a global corp dedicated to dominating the consumer market - and BMD, dedicated to producing cutting edge and niche video products.
Last edited by Chris Whitten on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Whitten

Paul Kapp

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 3:15 am

</innapropriate mode>
<appropriate mode>

Anyhow, people can use whatever devices they want.
I'm very happy with the BMPCC after the RAW update, I very much appreciate all that has gone into the BMPCC and love using it.
I don't yet know how to work well with RAW but it will give me hours of delightful problem solving I'm sure.
I look forward to the release of the BMPC4K.
I empathize with those who have issues with their BMCC and hope BMD address them soon.

Steve DiMaggio

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 9:06 pm

chrisso wrote:IPods and iPhones are consumer products.
You just can't compare the customer service and pace of product development between Apple - a global corp dedicated to dominating the consumer market - and BMD, dedicated to producing cutting edge and niche video products.

I would 100% consider the BMPCC a consumer product based on price

joechiazza

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 1:38 am

$1000 is pretty steep for an average consumer to spend on a camera. Not to mention raw and prores formats are not for consumers either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve DiMaggio

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:10 am

joechiazza wrote:$1000 is pretty steep for an average consumer to spend on a camera. Not to mention raw and prores formats are not for consumers either.

1000 is not steep, in america everyone has iphones and dslrs, for a family video camera for a hobbyist it is perfect, marry that with the fact that everyone pretty much has access to apple computers and therefor FCPX you can get a complete editing system with camera and software under 3K, that is consumer to me. 10K would be prosumer to me (which is what I am) and pro would add a zero

joechiazza

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 am

Steve DiMaggio wrote:
joechiazza wrote:$1000 is pretty steep for an average consumer to spend on a camera. Not to mention raw and prores formats are not for consumers either.

1000 is not steep, in america everyone has iphones and dslrs, for a family video camera for a hobbyist it is perfect, marry that with the fact that everyone pretty much has access to apple computers and therefor FCPX you can get a complete editing system with camera and software under 3K, that is consumer to me. 10K would be prosumer to me (which is what I am) and pro would add a zero

You can get pro images out of it. Who cares what the price tag says. How much you spend on a camera doesn't make you any better.

Steve DiMaggio

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:59 am

I'm not sure I undestand, you cant get pro images out of what?

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 3:34 am

I think the term you're looking for is "enthusiast" camera. Doesn't have the money or need to own a production camera, doesn't want the "video" look of common DSLR footage.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Anand Vyas

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 4:24 pm

I have to say - every problem I had about dropped frames has been solved. Thanks for all the input.
Previous

Return to Cinematography