Camera v1.5 released

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andrew Reid

Re: Camera v1.5 released

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Here's my test and some sample Cinema DNG frames for you to download and have a look at in Photoshop…

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11509/8-ci ... camera-raw

Looks great but I am a bit gutted the auto-iris is still there on camera start-up.

I am constantly fighting it when it wants to select F22 for a low light scene to protect the filament of a light bulb!!

Who thought this was a good idea? Really!? The only workaround for now (as it can't be switched off) is to use a non-active lens like the Nokton 25mm F0.95 but it is a real shame there's not a menu switch for this feature in the latest firmware.
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

David Dearing

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm just curious. Does Black Magic have any issues with "outside" people taking their firmware and "tweaking" it like Magic Lantern does with the DSLRs? I realize the ML DSLR software is more of an add-on than a firmware hack, but clearly there are a lot of talented programmers out there that could address some of the issues folks are talking about with the BM cameras and turn them into absolute DSLR slayers. I have a feeling BM software engineers are swamped with getting the 4k camera squared away right now and working on other things, so having "fresh eyes" work on the PCC and CC might be helpful to the community. An open source firmware would create an atmosphere that would remove Canon from the market in 5 years. (ok maybe not, but you know what I mean...)
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Kofa

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Looking forward to getting home and testing this out! Thanks Blackmagic!

I know we all wish for a lot of things to be fixed with this camera... BUT you HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to keep in mind that this is a $995 camera. 'No film school' priced out what it would cost at the base level to shoot on a RED and the range was $7,000 – $15,000!

Even renting a RED is going to cost you about $1,000 for 2 days, give or take. And the rental houses require a deposit that takes forever for you to get back Plus the $1,000+ it costs to rent that you will never get back. And keep in mind this is only for renting the camera so you won;t have much time to do any test shooting, etc.

I'm just grateful I didn't splurge and buy the 5D Mk3... I'd be so pissed right now. :mrgreen:
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Patrick Finnegan

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Randy Walters wrote:I'd just like to say “thank you” to Terry and all the folks at BMD. A camera that shoots lossless RAW for less than $1K... it truly is a remarkable achievement. The pairing of the BMPCC with the BMCC delivers an incredible A/B cam system for the investment.

With all the grousing, I know it can seem like a thankless slog – but I believe there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

By coincidence, the update comes on the same day as the first snow of the season here in Rhode Island; time to get outside and get a taste!

+1000
couldn't have said it better!!
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

SteveNunez

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:05 pm

EOS HD Cinema Raw DNG were impressive to download and check out.......lots of potential.......wish the camera weren't so finicky, otherwise the dynamic range claims seems to be readily founded!

SteveNunez

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Tested the Lexar 600X 64GB SD Card at 90mbps speed, and unfortunately- dropped frames!
So the Sandisk is the only option it seems at this time- although I'm sure this will change!

Ordered the Sandisk via B&H @ $119- so snatch them up guys!

Johan Cramer

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:I am constantly fighting it when it wants to select F22 for a low light scene to protect the filament of a light bulb!!

Who thought this was a good idea? Really!? The only workaround for now (as it can't be switched off) is to use a non-active lens like the Nokton 25mm F0.95 but it is a real shame there's not a menu switch for this feature in the latest firmware.

There are two workarounds:
[a] point the camera at a subject without extreme highlights and press the iris button then. For example, when you shoot a street in the evening, point it at the pavement or a building, expose, keep the setting.
[b] whether or not you used method [a], use the arrow keys to manually correct/open up aperture.

Insomniac

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm

This is great news!

To be sure, does recording in RAW mean 4:4:4 color, or is it still 4:2:2?

focuspulling

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 pm

This comparison of ProRes and RAW is pretty compelling:

https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/79231766
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Jacob Pattinson

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:50 pm

yep first they slap us with a price drop with no notice and now they won't even bloody update the thing

christian.himmelstrand

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:Here's my test and some sample Cinema DNG frames for you to download and have a look at in Photoshop…

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11509/8-ci ... camera-raw

Looks great but I am a bit gutted the auto-iris is still there on camera start-up.

I am constantly fighting it when it wants to select F22 for a low light scene to protect the filament of a light bulb!!

Looks really nice!
How do you get that crystal clear image, my raw clips are so noisy, really noisy.
Is there a de-noise in Resolve Lite?

Kofa

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Looks really nice!
How do you get that crystal clear image, my raw clips are so noisy, really noisy.
Is there a de-noise in Resolve Lite?[/quote]

I had this problem as well. It seems the camera likes the image to be slightly overexposed. Then when graded there is virtually no noise.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Flat4

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm

'You guys mind changing the title to "Pocket Camera v1.5 released"

You know... to avoid confusion.

Flat4

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm

misterkofa wrote:Looks really nice!
Is there a de-noise in Resolve Lite?

That's why it's called Lite.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:Looks great but I am a bit gutted the auto-iris is still there on camera start-up.

Hi,

We don't do an auto-iris on startup, we merely issue a lens initialisation command and the lens does the rest to "wake up".

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Bird wrote:yep first they slap us with a price drop with no notice and now they won't even bloody update the thing

Yes we will update the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

focuspulling

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Andrew Reid wrote:Looks great but I am a bit gutted the auto-iris is still there on camera start-up.

Hi,

We don't do an auto-iris on startup, we merely issue a lens initialisation command and the lens does the rest to "wake up".

That helps clarify, thanks Kristian. Not that I'd wish for it to get ahead of the other greatly-longed-for firmware fixes/features in an update, but actually you could program your firmware to take note during shut-down of the current iris setting correlated to lens model, and if the lens model is still there at power-up, simply send that iris setting back to the lens.

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Flat4 wrote:'You guys mind changing the title to "Pocket Camera v1.5 released"

Well... the camera update runs on all the cameras. It just so happens that 1.5 only adds stuff to the Pocket.

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:I am constantly fighting it when it wants to select F22 for a low light scene to protect the filament of a light bulb!!

Andrew it's not auto irising because of the exposure in the shot. Try turn the camera on with the lens cap on and you'll get the same result.

As Kristian said the lenses is simple booting up and that's it's default setting.

CORRECTION
Sorry Andrew.... Just tested my 14-45 Panasonic lens. It does indeed auto iris down to f/22 if there is a light in the scene when it starts up. If you put the lens cap on it does the opposite. Never noticed as I normally start up with the lens cap on (maybe a fix for you in the meantime??).

So it appears the camera is indeed taking a reading of the scene as it boots up and setting the lens accordingly. I can see how this will become very annoying when shooting in the streets at night.

Mark Jamerson

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:51 pm

A lot of people will complain about this and that but thanks BMD for delivering before Christmas
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Christopher Cox

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:
Are there any other updates in this new firmware, besides raw?

That's what I want to know.

There's been discussion about adding support for more M4/3 lens models.
Have more lenses been added to the list ?

Anyway, I'm pleased that my camera now shoots RAW. :)
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

Dragoljub Ćurčić

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 pm

bmcc update please +1

I'm glad to hear it's being worked on.

Flat4

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 am

adamroberts wrote:
Flat4 wrote:'You guys mind changing the title to "Pocket Camera v1.5 released"

Well... the camera update runs on all the cameras. It just so happens that 1.5 only adds stuff to the Pocket.

You are incorrect. The update only runs on the pocket camera. Change the title.

Paul Kapp

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 am

Christmas!

Reading this gives a sense of proportion:
http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/1229-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-now-does-12-bit-raw

Mathematically lossless compressed CinemaDNG.
Portability with high end IQ.
Thank you Blackmagic

lolososo

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 2:02 am

Hi all,

just a question ...
Does CinemaDNG RAW work on "Autodesk Smoke" ? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks .

missileman

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 am

So I *really* want to know if I can leverage an external recorder to record RAW.

The hyperdeck records RAW, but can it be sent over HDMI to the hyperdeck?

almarri

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 am

Greetings, all

Have any one notice (after updating the BMPCC to v1.5) while recording RAW the 'REC' turns to 'No Card' and 'Card Full' continuously and repeatedly?

My BMPCC does that! Any idea?

Nilscrompton

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 am

Randy Walters wrote:there are many more of us out there who quietly appreciate all your efforts. You've put tremendous capabilities within the reach of many who never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

I definitely agree, if the mountain of praise I hear out in real life were on this forum it would have a very different tone!

momentusstudios

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:45 am

I have been able to shoot RAW on my 128GB Sandisk Extreme Card (both of them). They are the 80/mbs versions.

RAW recorded just fine when I went handheld and did some quick pans and zooms, no dropped frames (REC stayed solid whole time).

Only issue is getting Premiere Pro CC to see the damn CinemaDNG files properly to send to Resolve.
Momentus Studios, LLC
Atlanta-Based Video Production
www.getmomentus.com

2 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras w/ Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm

vjmelzer

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:38 am

For my first post, +1 to the troubling development that my 128 GB Sandisk Extreme card is no longer working for *any* form of video recording after this update. I tried filming with RAW (unaware, at the time, that this card was no longer officially going to be supported for RAW recording on the BPCC), to which the REC wouldn't stay on (though I noticed that it did create a few folders in quick succession on the card). I then quickly switched back to ProRes setting, but it no longer recognizes the card and says 'No SD' on the screen. Yikes.

To add to the confusion, now I read this latest post about the same 128 GB card actually working for RAW recording--out of curiosity, how is your card formatted? Mine is ExFat…

Thanks for any help, am secretly hoping my newly-purchased 128 GB card ultimately isn't useless for RAW recording…

David Regenthal

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 am

downloaded the update, ran it, did a few quick clips . . . amazing.
THANK YOU BLACK MAGIC!!!!!!
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

focuspulling

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 am

vjmelzer wrote:For my first post, +1 to the troubling development that my 128 GB Sandisk Extreme card is no longer working for *any* form of video recording after this update. I tried filming with RAW (unaware, at the time, that this card was no longer officially going to be supported for RAW recording on the BPCC), to which the REC wouldn't stay on (though I noticed that it did create a few folders in quick succession on the card). I then quickly switched back to ProRes setting, but it no longer recognizes the card and says 'No SD' on the screen. Yikes.

To add to the confusion, now I read this latest post about the same 128 GB card actually working for RAW recording--out of curiosity, how is your card formatted? Mine is ExFat…

Thanks for any help, am secretly hoping my newly-purchased 128 GB card ultimately isn't useless for RAW recording…

I don't get it; how are people surprised that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC can't keep up? Anyone who performed basic research on securing SD cards for the BMPC took note that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC card only comes in the 45 MB/s variety (approximately 40 MB/s write speed). There have been numerous discussions here predicting that 40 MB/s is far from enough for RAW capture.

There is no 128gb SDXC card at the 80 MB/s read speed rating, and certainly not at 95 MB/s -- something widely understood many months before this day.

Paul Kapp

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:01 am

missileman wrote:So I *really* want to know if I can leverage an external recorder to record RAW.

The Hyperdeck records uncompressed HD.
This is not the same as CinemaDNG.
Nothing wrong with uncompressed though, except large file size.
You can record uncompressed over HDMI.
The Hyperdeck also records ProRes & DNxHD(compressed formats)

Adnan Umer

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:22 am

Did someone have any problems updating to version 1.5? I'm getting an error asking me to uninstall the blackmagic camera utility before it installs the new one. Now, how the heck I uninstall the old version or is there any way around it?

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:47 am

momentusstudios wrote:Only issue is getting Premiere Pro CC to see the damn CinemaDNG files properly to send to Resolve.

Import the footage into Resolve first. Then round trip to Premiere Pro.

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:48 am

eddiekhan wrote:Did someone have any problems updating to version 1.5? I'm getting an error asking me to uninstall the blackmagic camera utility before it installs the new one. Now, how the heck I uninstall the old version or is there any way around it?

There is an "uninstaller" that comes with the new installer. Run it first.

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 am

missileman wrote:So I *really* want to know if I can leverage an external recorder to record RAW.

The Hyperdeck does not record RAW. It records uncompressed HD. Very different. There is currently no way to record RAW externally of the BM cameras. Don't think it ever will via HDMI either as don't believe the HDMI spec allows for RAW.

vjmelzer

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 6:53 am

focuspulling wrote:
vjmelzer wrote:For my first post, +1 to the troubling development that my 128 GB Sandisk Extreme card is no longer working for *any* form of video recording after this update. I tried filming with RAW (unaware, at the time, that this card was no longer officially going to be supported for RAW recording on the BPCC), to which the REC wouldn't stay on (though I noticed that it did create a few folders in quick succession on the card). I then quickly switched back to ProRes setting, but it no longer recognizes the card and says 'No SD' on the screen. Yikes.

I don't get it; how are people surprised that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC can't keep up? Anyone who performed basic research on securing SD cards for the BMPC took note that the Sandisk 128gb SDXC card only comes in the 45 MB/s variety (approximately 40 MB/s write speed). There have been numerous discussions here predicting that 40 MB/s is far from enough for RAW capture.

There is no 128gb SDXC card at the 80 MB/s read speed rating, and certainly not at 95 MB/s -- something widely understood many months before this day.

Well that's all fine and good, but if you read my entire post you may have noticed that I'd already become aware the 128 GB card was officially not supported (for RAW). But that should have nothing to do with the fact that I am no longer able to record ProReS on the card--something I was able to do perfectly fine until this update, and Blackmagic has not removed the 128 GB card from the 'supported ProRes SD cards' list. So I am pointing out a valid problem that needs a solution, not looking for being schooled on what I've already learned. As an earlier post indicates, I am not the only user to suddenly face this issue.

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:11 am

Thank you for the update :D I love my BMPCC!

An update for the BMCC would be nice (+1) and in general some of the features magic lantern supports would be a welcome addition (like VU meters, RGB zebra, space remaining, etc.) .

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:20 am

vjmelzer wrote:So I am pointing out a valid problem that needs a solution, not looking for being schooled on what I've already learned. As an earlier post indicates, I am not the only user to suddenly face this issue.

Without reading through the whole thread again... Have you tried re-formatting the card?

Adnan Umer

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 am

I managed to install v1.5 after removing the old one. I'm facing a new problem, the utility is asking me to repair. It is taking forever to repair. I've been checking the prores option if it changes to raw or dng raw but its only showing prores. Trying for the third time to repair the software. The last two times the prores didn't show a second option. Restarted camera, computer but nothing! Its frustrating.

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks so much for continuing support for all the Cinema Cameras, BMD! I'm just about to purchase a BMPCC soon and I'm so glad to have this update ready. I'm very excited and looking forward to seeing what's in store for the BMCC EF, as well. Cheers!
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 am

@EddieKhan... did you try another computer?

Tungee

Craig Seeman

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 12:29 pm

focuspulling wrote:There is no 128gb SDXC card at the 80 MB/s read speed rating, and certainly not at 95 MB/s -- something widely understood many months before this day.

Sandisk 128GB SDXC 80 MB/s
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 0mb_s.html

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD128GA47.html

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/e ... .283835300

John Greene

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Anyone having problem with there card recording in ProRes after the update just Format the Card on PC OR Mac and Select ProRes don't click on Raw! if you do this you will need to Format the card again

this is some Bug in the FW
Junior

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm

almarri wrote:Greetings, all

Have any one notice (after updating the BMPCC to v1.5) while recording RAW the 'REC' turns to 'No Card' and 'Card Full' continuously and repeatedly?

My BMPCC does that! Any idea?

Mine does that too. It doesn't seem to matter, it records fine on a sandisk extreme pro 16GB card. But it would be nice if I could het rid of this "Card Full" message.

joechiazza

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:
focuspulling wrote:There is no 128gb SDXC card at the 80 MB/s read speed rating, and certainly not at 95 MB/s -- something widely understood many months before this day.

Sandisk 128GB SDXC 80 MB/s
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 0mb_s.html

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD128GA47.html

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/e ... .283835300

Has anyone tested this for raw on the pocket cam?

Joe Gonzalez

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Well i updated my BMCC2.5 with the firmware, why?? you say, maybe hope, maybe dreams but my camera is officially dead. Wont turn back on. Ive been nothing but patient with this camera and the company, a champion of sorts but this really sucks.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

sean mclennan

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 3:55 pm

wow, I have to admit I'm really disappointed the BMCC didn't get any update :\ Nor any update from Grant.

You gotta feel their priority was obviously the BMPCC...now that's it's up to date, the BMC4K will be the new priority.

Guess we have to try and be optimistic for any more updates.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography