Small mic for BMPCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Jorgensen

Small mic for BMPCC?

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I have a Rode videomic pro, but am looking for something smaller to use with the BMPCC while out and about. It doesn't need to super high quality, but better than the built in mic. Any suggestions?

Nilscrompton

Re: Small mic for BMPCC?

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:25 pm

If it's voice you're recording what about a lavelier mic? Even a Rode lapel mic with an iPhone or small Zoom? Or if it's just 'nat' or 'SOT' you want, you could look for OEM camcorder accessories for small top mics like the nikon-me-1...

David Jorgensen

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm thinking general purpose in casual situations, not specifically for voice. And something a little smaller and more discreet than the rode videomic, which looks quite large on the pocket cam. I'll look at the ME-1.

Dan Harris

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... enser.html

Ive been looking this new tascam mic but have no confirmation if the BMPCC will power it..?

Chris Hocking

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Dan Harris wrote:Ive been looking this new tascam mic but have no confirmation if the BMPCC will power it..?

It won't.

David Jorgensen

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:
Dan Harris wrote:Ive been looking this new tascam mic but have no confirmation if the BMPCC will power it..?

It won't.

Too bad, it looks like a good option otherwise.

vitreous

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm using Church Audio CA-11's. They're made for concert recording, but would require a small amp or battery box depending on the conditions. I strap a battery box to the front of a Viewfactor cage. Not an audio expert, but I've seen lots of small mics used by concert tapers for stealth rigs.

Chris Hocking

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Paul McMurrick

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 pm

But Chris have you actually tried that mic ?

One of the issues with the BMPCC is that the inbuilt pre amp is pretty hopeless, and I can personally vouch for the fact that otherwise excellent mics like, for example, the Rode SVM (non pro) are useless with the camera. I went to the trouble of buying a cage etc to allow mounting of a larger mic on top, but sadly without a pre amp in the mic, it is worse that the mic already in the camera.

I am keen to see exactly how the Rode SVM pro works (with 20db gain). A couple of posters here have put forward some video (thank you) but one was of running water and the other was near silent, so I am not sure that these give the best working example of how voice or music will record.

If any posters have video of the BMPCC working with a mic with inbuilt preamp (of reasonable size) that would be very helpful

Chris Hocking

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 am

I haven't tried that particular mic - but we did a lot of test when the Pocket first came out, using a variety of self-powered microphones, and didn't have any issues. Given this, I see no reason why this particular microphone wouldn't work fine. I'm sure if you asked nicely Lemac in Melbourne could do some tests for you.

David Jorgensen

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Has anyone used the sennheiser mke 400?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534023-REG/

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes, I have the MKE 400, works, level a little low, but good audio. The level is higher on my
Nikon than the BMPCC. Audio with mic is about same level as built in mic.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Self powered microphones (i.e. one's with batteries) should work fine. It's just microphones that require plug-in power or phantom power that you'll have issues with.

Hao

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 10:17 am

Hi all,

I must thank you all for sharing the information on this subject, which I've been trying very hard to acquire but feeling a bit effortless due to scarce discussions on the internet (maybe it's me haven't been resourceful).

My experience with the BMPCC+new Rode video Mic (the one without +20db settings) has been proved by the discussions above. Obviously while the quality is immensely improved, the level is very poor, which falls around -24db. And that's when I speak directly in front of the mic with my normal talking volume.

Since I only got the chance to test thus far and wan't able to bring the file into the editing software which I should've done. My question then will be, should the audio be fixable to, say, -6db without potential issues?

I should also mention that my current solution to audio is using Zoom H4n as both mic/preamp. This is not ideal since the recorder along is bigger than the camera itself...

Thanks again
Hao

Return to Cinematography