audio through live SDI out?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nicolas Horne

audio through live SDI out?

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:25 pm

hi,

i'm planning to use a BMCC to record 8 hours of lectures in about a week.
it would be great to ingest directly, using the SDI output of the camera.
and since i don't have a sound card, it would be great to hook up two microphones to the camera, and have that transferred along with the video image through the SDI output, through my capture box, directly to computer / hard disk.
is this possible?
an alternative would probably be to use a thunderbolt cable, but then i'll be restricted by that cable's length.

and; does the mic inputs of the camera support phantom power?
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

sean mclennan

Re: audio through live SDI out?

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 7:06 pm

yes, the SDI output carries audio.

No, the mic inputs do not support phantom power. They are not XLR inputs, they are 1/4" balanced TRS inputs.

Ideally, you should run your mics into field mixer/recorder and output that to the BMCC.

Nicolas Horne

Re: audio through live SDI out?

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 10:49 am

ah, thanks. i found now that my RØDE mic has a battery. i'll try when i get the equipment.
thank you!
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

Return to Cinematography