How about BMD partners with a lens manufacturer

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Weathersby

How about BMD partners with a lens manufacturer

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

So how about BMD partners with a lens manufacturer to produce a Cinema Camera line of lenses? They don't have a manufacture them, just partner with a company and encourage that company to producer a couple high quality lenses. They don't have to work with Canon or Sigma or Tokina... It could be Rokinon/Bower/Samyang(since its all the same). For film work I've always been a fan of prime lenses over zooms and switching to a BMCC that I got 2 weeks ago most of my lenses are now telephoto. I had sold my rokinon 14mm and was kicking myself because even though it had barrel distortion could not fit filters I could of started filming with it immediately. I saw that there was a new rokinon 16mm which fixed the issues of the 14mm and I purchased it immediately. I now have a good wide prime again.

So what would this partnership accomplish by way of lenses for the BMCC?
A 10mm 1.4 or 1.8 Lens = 23mm ultra wide
A 16mm 2 Lens = 36.8 Standard wide
A 22mm 1.4 Lens = 50.6 mm lens
A 35mm 1.4 Lens = 80.5

Now I know someone is going to say but rokinon makes a 24mm lens so why make a 22mm? Well just like rokinon made a 14mm lens... the goal is to have something better. The 35mm already exists and is really good so not much needs to get changed and so does the 16mm.

The 2 new lenses could be major improvements over the current closest counterparts. The 24mm rokinon is not short at all at 1.4 and the 8mm has barrel distortion and sharpness issues.

Thomas Thiele

Re: How about BMD partners with a lens manufacturer

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Why do you need another Samyang brand?
What would be different when its labeled "BMD"?

There is already a "magic" in SLRM ... and it's black, too.
BMPCC, Lumix G3, GF3
pana 7-14, SLRM 12/T1.6, sigma 19, pana 20/1.7, pana 14-42, pana 45-150,
pentacon auto 29/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/2.8.

Fahnon Bennett

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 6:01 pm

I think his idea was meant for EF lenses where there are only 2-3 choices for the wide end.

Worzel Gummidge

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 am

Would be nice to see new M4/3 or C Mount cine lens at a decent cost. I hope Kowa will produce good glass next year with their revamping of their 1" industrial HD lenses.

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

fahnon wrote:I think his idea was meant for EF lenses where there are only 2-3 choices for the wide end.

Any new line of lenses from BMD or their partner intended for BMD or other cinema cameras would surely be ciné lenses and that would distinguish them from lens manufacturers who first design a stills lens and then make some modifications to repurpose the same glass for a cinema camera.

So if BMD wanted to get into that line of business, they would be up against some big players with decades of prior experience. It's been said before that building a ciné lens is very complex and time consuming. You probably wouldn't want to try unless you were confident you could deliver a less expensive lens than your competition. However saving expenses may mean some compromise to the lens quality. I think SLR Magic likely wanted to do this but realized it is such an ambitious task that they had better concentrate their limited resources on a more modest business plan. The beautiful lens set does currently exist but as we know, it can be cost prohibitive for most. The latest Primo V announcement from Panavision looks interesting but, of course, their lenses aren't for sale.

If I knew the solution to the dilemma, I wouldn't be sitting here in my living room adding a post to this forum. Not sure who will give it a go. Would be great if BMD worked with a partner or two on the project to help democratize beautiful ciné lenses that paired well with their future sensors, but if they made such an announcement in NAB 2014, we know it could be NAB 2020 before a six lens set was ready--and that's not a criticism at all, as I believe you would need years to get it right. I would think they would design the image circle of their lenses to cover the S35, APS-C or BMPC4K sensor size and hopefully they could also mount to the BMCC and BMPCC.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 am

There is nothing really inherently expensive about cine lens design. many of them are often far simpler than their stills counterparts (for example, most are just fully manual with no servos or motors inside). The problem has always been the economy of scale and, as they are almost all hand made, that adds an expense.
Truthfully; just making a cine-style prime lens wouldn't be that difficult. The primary differences between cine and stills lens is the focus throw/focus breathing, measurement in T stop, and common front diameter. 2 of those cost next to nothing, another is a very small expense but would require proper design or just mechanical components, and the last one, focus breathing, is where costs would come in. However, we're so used to focus breathing anymore, you could get away with it. Hell I just used an Angie zoom which breathed like a 90 yr old 4 pack a day smoker-- but still costs thousands of dollars to buy used.
That said, I ABSOLUTELY do NOT think BMD should make lenses. If anything, it would be a hell of a lot better/easier to pressure someone like Nikon to make an "e" series cine lens, or a company like Rokinon to make a better version of their own lenses (or SLR magic ect) because all of these are still substantially cheaper than the "lower end" alternatives, like a Compact Prime (which in and of itself is absurdly cheap by cine lens and zeiss lens standards)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Worzel Gummidge

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 4:06 am

I'm waiting on Canon, Nikon, Samyang to join Kowa in making M43 cine lenses for S16.

Michael Weathersby

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 am

I am not talking about another Samyang brand... im talking about Samyang or some other lens maker making a line of lenses that is in connection with BMD. So its nothing ran by bmd... its just a bmd approved lens. I was reading an interview Grant Petty did about working in a post house and not being able to afford to use buy equipment or even rent it. So i said Samyang just because they've made pretty good low cost lenses.

I don't think BMD should make lenses... thats needless... just partner with the BMD of lens makers.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 pm

DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Michael Weathersby

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 2:50 am

Very nice

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 am

What you are describing is a Ziess CP2 Cinema lens, already available for around $3K. Goos value, great "world class" optics and standard mounts available.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Weathersby

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 am

Yea i was thinking lower cost lenses...

Return to Cinematography