Pocket Cinema RAW file looks like video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Richard Burns

Pocket Cinema RAW file looks like video

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm new to this world.

I've been using the camera for a month. The ProRes file in film looks a low contrast and desaturated. Apply the lut in Davinci brings it to life.

Using the 1.5 firmware and Raw shooting. When I bring it in to Davinci, the footage looks like it was shot using the video mode.

Does this make sense?

Benjamin Klingebiel

Re: Pocket Cinema RAW file looks like video

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 11:09 pm

maybe the raw settings are in rec709 in davinci.... you ve to set it to film.

adamroberts

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 11:34 pm

You might want to watch Denver's Resolve tutorials:
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/blac ... ial-series

It'll help you understand the workflow in Resolve.

RAW is not flat or colourful. It's in fact black and white. The de-beyer process is what gives it its colour and that process is all controlled from within the Camera RAW panel in Resolve.

Richard Burns

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I watched the tutorial. Very helpful. However, my original camera footage already looks like it has a rec709 color correction.

adamroberts

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm

RAW has no colour. It gets its colour when it's processed.

So either your project is set to process the RAW files as REC709 or your CameraRAW setting for the clip is set to process the RAW as REC709.

Chris Whitten

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:05 pm

When I import my raw footage into resolve even using CinemaDNG and BMD film settings there is visible colour, albeit low contrast, flat and very light. Any way I import pocket raw, the image never looks black and white.
Any raw resolve tutorial likewise (Hurkman etc) the imported files have light colour, never look like black and white. But also don't look video either.
Chris Whitten

Ben Ericson

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 pm

1. Go to the far left tab, (camera raw settings.)
2. Set to BMD profile.
3. Set to as shot WB

I figured this out on my own within 5 minutes… Explore the software some more.

adamroberts

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 pm

chrisso wrote:When I import my raw footage into resolve even using CinemaDNG and BMD film settings there is visible colour, albeit low contrast, flat and very light. Any way I import pocket raw, the image never looks black and white.
Any raw resolve tutorial likewise (Hurkman etc) the imported files have light colour, never look like black and white. But also don't look video either.

Resolve won't display the footage as black and white because it is processing the RAW data. It is de-Bayering the file and applying colour based on the de-Bayered info and the colour spaces selected.

Click on the Camera RAW tab on the Color page in Resolve. There you can change how the RAW is processed of individual clips. You can also change how all RAW files are processed in the Project settings by clicking on the Camera RAW tab.

Chris Whitten

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes, I'm setting clips to CinemaDNG with a BMD profile.
Chris Whitten

Worzel Gummidge

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 am

Where can I get a BMD raw preset for Adobe Camera Raw?

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 am

Worzel Gummidge wrote:Where can I get a BMD raw preset for Adobe Camera Raw?

Don't think there is on. When mentioning Camera RAW above I was referring to the Camera RAW settings in Resolve, not the Adobe CameraRAW plugin.

Ben Ericson

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 7:30 am

Honestly, you should just post some screen grabs at this point.

Lee Mackreath

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:19 am

I understand I think what the OP is trying to say.

When I import my cinemadngs from the bmpcc into lightroom they already have the adobe predefined view which is kind of its only inbuilt LUT. Its how adobe perceives how the dngs should be viewed, and to me there is no obvious option to get rid of this and revert back to the washed out log look.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

But when you click on the camera icon in Davinci Resolve and load the BMD setting, the frame instantly looks washed out - like raw should. Even with a pre-set none of my raw footage has looked like video in Resolve.
Chris Whitten

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 am

Lee Mackreath wrote:I understand I think what the OP is trying to say.

When I import my cinemadngs from the bmpcc into lightroom they already have the adobe predefined view which is kind of its only inbuilt LUT. Its how adobe perceives how the dngs should be viewed, and to me there is no obvious option to get rid of this and revert back to the washed out log look.

The thing it... RAW is NOT log. It's RAW. If you want it to be log you need to process it as such.

RAW is simple a black and white image from the sensor that had a Bayer pattern that is used to decode the colour. How you process that data is completely upto you.

The in camera Film mode is simply taking that RAW data, de-Bayering it to get the colour and then mapping it to a LOG curve. This gives you the LOG like image you see in the Film mode ProRes files. In post you then add saturation and contrast as you see fit.

With RAW you have control over all of that. The Adobe CameraRAW plugin will take a guess as to how it should look, you then adjust it as you want it to look. You can than save that as a preset.

This is no different to RAW files from a DSLR. If you select a picture style in a DSLR but shoot in RAW that picture style is not burnt into the RAW file. Opening the RAW file from your DSLR Adobe CameraRAW does not produce a log'ish image, it's got colour, contrast and saturation. You adjust how you want it to look... Same with CinemaDNGs.

I'll do some screen shots to help those who are struggling...

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:38 am

chrisso wrote:But when you click on the camera icon in Davinci Resolve and load the BMD setting, the frame instantly looks washed out - like raw should. Even with a pre-set none of my raw footage has looked like video in Resolve.

Slight correction... Not how RAW SHOULD look but rather how RAW processed with the BMD Film color space should look...

RAW can look however you want it to look.
Last edited by adamroberts on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 am

OK here is a RAW CinemaDNG shot on the BMPCC in my kitchen.

Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 1.jpg
Screen Shot 1.jpg (398.63 KiB) Viewed 9360 times

This is simple setting the project to process the DNG in BMD Film colour space. This is done in the project settings. This will apply to all CinemaDNGs in the project unless you change the setting on a specific clip...

Screen Shot 2
Screen Shot 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2.jpg (553.48 KiB) Viewed 9360 times

This is changing the settings in the Camera Raw tab for this specific clip. Rec.709 colour space was selected. This overrides the setting in the project setting for this clip only. As you can see the image is much more saturated and has more contrast

Screen Shot 3
Screen Shot 3.jpg
Screen Shot 3.jpg (581.91 KiB) Viewed 9360 times

This is changing the settings in the Camera Raw tab for this specific clip. BMD Film colour space was selected.
In the first Node a LUT was then applied. The LUT used is the one developed by Captain Hook.

In all 3 cases I had no LUTs applied in my project settings.

Richard Burns

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 am

Great info on RAW, thanks!

Michael Allmon

PostThu May 28, 2015 1:17 am

Ok so i have been looking all around for the answer to this problem... and cant find it any where. SOOOOO... I made a LUT for premier and speed grade! i got a color chart and filmed it in ProRes and Raw and then matched the color and contrast. Its pretty darn close. Close enough that all the other LUTs made for flat profiles will fit perfectly on it now!

If anyone wants it just email me allmonbrothers@gmail.com and i will send it your way. Hope this helps people!

Return to Cinematography