Hobbyist choosing the Pocket

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Steve Holmlund

Hobbyist choosing the Pocket

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Will try to keep this brief. This forum has been very patient and helpful as I've gone back and forth (and back and forth). Perhaps this will help someone else in my shoes.

I decided the hobby I want to pursue really is cinematography, even if I never get very far with it. I'm not that into taking still pictures and my wife and son have decent Canon cameras. I'd like to pursue film-like quality and maybe learn how to grade a little (art for art's sake).

The clincher for me was finally getting my head around the cheap vintage glass that is available, thanks to many posts on this forum. After saving my pennies for a year, I can order the Pocket, 64GB SD card, and batteries for under $1200. A couple vintage lenses are on order for < $100 with adapter. Now saving up for a Speedbooster and watching for more vintage lens deals. Gonna build my own slider based on a YouTube design that looks simple enough.

GH3 was a close second but it seemed like you should put the expensive Pany lenses on it. I figure a GH5 that competes more with the Pocket's quality would be at least $1500.

If the new Sony RX10 had a Pro Res option, it would have been a slam dunk. But Sony is stuck on AVCHD.

I think Nikon's Nikon 1 V3 should offer Pro Res and/or 4k but I got tired of waiting for some indication they will announce anything soon or even continue that line.

Thanks for this forum's support. I'm sure I'll have more questions when my camera and stuff arrive.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Sprocket Scientist

Re: Hobbyist choosing the Pocket

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't forget that you also need a good computer with adequate power to post-process the footage from the Pocket camera. The post-processing is really the second half of getting the best out of ProRes and raw.

And some kind of video editing application.
Last edited by Sprocket Scientist on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Holmlund

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks. I'm fortunate to already have a subscription to Adobe CC and a really good Sager notebook for editing for the work I do for my small business. You are correct in pointing out the need for these things and any hobbyist would need to take this into account.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Chris Whitten

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 8:52 pm

The more I get into it, the more I can see you need to spend three times the price of the camera to really use it properly.
It needs stabilisation - good tripod or rig.
It needs help with the audio.
You can't really see the screen outdoors - evf or ext monitor.
You need a decent computer and plenty of fast storage, especially with raw.
If shooting raw you arguably need at least 2 x 64gb extreme pro cards.
You arguably need a calibrated monitor to grade.
Fast wide lens due to the crop.
HQ ND's for outside, lighting for inside.
Chris Whitten

Return to Cinematography