Posted our first commercial today shot with the BMCC & Sigma

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Minor Detour

Posted our first commercial today shot with the BMCC & Sigma

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 10:52 pm

BMCC 2.5
Sigma 18-35 lens
ProRes Film
Zoom H4n for Sound
Lighting - Mixture of Arri Fresnel's 650, couple of 350's and a 150. Most of the times we bounced the lights off the ceiling to light an area.

(Quality on youtube is not that great compared to uncompressed.)

https://www.doritos.com/base/submission ... 9&tab_id=7

Great little camera. And for anybody out there starting out, I didn't know what ISO was about 3 months ago.

Great package of tools. This is what Blackmagic has made possible for people who probably would have never otherwise been able to or considered getting into cinematography.

Thanks BM
Last edited by Minor Detour on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."
- Henry Ford

http://minordetour.com

David Dearing

Re: Posted our first commercial today shot with the BMCC & S

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:54 am

Cute idea. The picture quality was top notch. I couldn't hear the little girl very well, so had to watch it twice. lol Good luck with the contest! :D
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Minor Detour

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 am

Thank you David. Arrggg, we adjusted her voice when she was disappointed about the fake "horsie" but listening to it again after uploading, just like the video level, it's not the same uploaded as what we have locally.

What's tough about this is, we had to cut some key shots out of this to get it down to 30 seconds. The scenes we had where the girl was asking the daddy to get a "horsie" too and him writing the letter I think helped the video.

Also another key moment was him going back and leaving extra doritos just in case but yet he's wearing a Grinch tshirt and is a grouch.

We learned a lot doing this and it was a ton of fun!
- Henry Ford

Scott Stacy

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 am

Minor Detour wrote:BMCC 2.5
Sigman 18.25 lens
ProRes Film

Hey nice job. Real clean and nice grading. I imagine the lens you used was actually a Sigma 18-35mm EF mount not a Sigman 18.25? What NLE did you use? Did you use Resolve to color grade the clips?

S
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Minor Detour

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks Scott,

Yes, the lens was an 18-35 and I've updated the post. Everything was edited in Adobe Premier pro.

For grading, all we did was apply the 3D BM to Rec 709 Lut in Resolve. (I must give thanks to Tom Majerski and all his posts for helping me get to where I'm at with resolve. Even though we only used a Lut this go around reading his post has help us get a better understanding of how to grade.)
- Henry Ford

Scott Stacy

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:27 am

Minor Detour wrote:Thanks Scott,

Yes, the lens was an 18-35 and I've updated the post. Everything was edited in Adobe Premier pro.

For grading, all we did was apply the 3D BM to Rec 709 Lut in Resolve. (I must give thanks to Tom Majerski and all his posts for helping me get to where I'm at with resolve. Even though we only used a Lut this go around reading his post has help us get a better understanding of how to grade.)

Tom is very helpful and an asset to this forum. Alexis Van Hurkman (Google him) has some great tutorials and an excellent book on color grading. Check it out.

That Sigma lens is super sharp for a zoom. I wish they would make that lens fully manual with a proper cine gear. The Chinese GL Opics cine mod, which is really nice, is really pricey.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Return to Cinematography