Phillip Bloom

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joe Gonzalez

Phillip Bloom

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Got my BMCC, i will not rant anymore. :D
Last edited by Joe Gonzalez on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Scott R McCartney

Re: Phillip Bloom

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Did I miss the memo where this forum became an excuse to single out individuals for condescending personal attacks? you may not agree with PB's review, I personally found it fair and balanced with a few reasonable concerns/criticisms regarding the form and workflow; issues that every user will likely face. Over and over he made the point that the image quality was excellent and for the price frankly unbeatable, (hardly negative or condescending).

aside from that the man makes his living from making films, so i wonder what it takes to be a 'real filmmaker' in your opinion. :x

Nick Bedford

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Philip Bloom was actually quite realistic about the camera. He showed it's strengths and revealed its weaknesses, then repeatedly said... "$3,000!"

"You don't get a free lunch, but boy is this one a tasty one." in other words.

You didn't have to create a whole thread just to trash talk him, though.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Eric Santiago

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm

we all know why this post was created.
its called frustration.
I for one wont attack the haves since Im the haves not.
humans deal with their own way, its too bad this was done this way.

John Waldorff

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Yes, please don't trash the "hero of dslr" and his important ethics because of jealousy.

How could he ever understand this camera.. his imac sucks so he could not use resolve and RAW at all.
You may have noticed he trashed the Red Scarlet X in another review even more. To a point where the RED people got into contact with him and they had a not so nice discussion.

He did some valuable tests nevertheless. Especially showing how powerful the internal battery was is quite fine. It is very comparable to almost 3 5d batteries.
Also he shows that portraits look very well.. something where full frame dominates.

Ok, lets lock this thread now =)

Scott R McCartney

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Ok, lets lock this thread now =)

I'll 2nd that ;)

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

That's kind of unfair to say. Some people don't consider what he does "real" filmmaking because they say he does montages. He does more than that, and while some might think he isn't a real filmmaker, he's getting paid (and I'm sure paid very well) to do narrative and doc work. He's a real filmmaker, he just might not showcase the same type of filmmaking you do.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there's no reason to single out people and bash them. I know we're all frustrated about getting our cameras but let's keep this civil.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Joe Gonzalez

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 am

Like i said, im jealous and bitter. Sorry for the rant but i found it real weak to not show the real workflow on this camera that he is so doing now with just the stills. I mean he worked on the DNG's John threw to all of us. He really had a chance to do what he did with the gh3 but for some odd reason just couldn't shoot a short with it. Again, yes i was harsh . Apologies to Mr. Bloom and to all who love him.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Eric Santiago

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 am

Joe_g wrote:Like i said, im jealous and bitter. Sorry for the rant but i found it real weak to not show the real workflow on this camera that he is so doing now with just the stills. I mean he worked on the DNG's John threw to all of us. He really had a chance to do what he did with the gh3 but for some odd reason just couldn't shoot a short with it. Again, yes i was harsh . Apologies to Mr. Bloom and to all who love him.

Im sure the GH3 had more pre-planning and bigger money backing up his part in it.

samuelchristopher

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm a massive fanboy already of this camera so much so I get that feeling of "I must defend it" (stupid I know) but...

I agree with Bloom, he's certainly being really blunt and heavily critical but as he said it's worth really stressing these issues now to make a better camera and like he also said the vast majority of them can be sorted via a firmware update. It's quite exciting what they could potentially do just from a firmware update. Then the big 3 hardware issues are battery, mount and sensor size, but Blackmagic made it very clear if you want a bigger sensor size your are going to pay a s--- load more, and I rather it be this set of features at this price point. Once those options for a Super 35 become cheaper then the Cinema Mark II will be absolutely stunning. The Carl Zeiss ZF.2 lens are a must with there manual iris controls, and I dont want to have to faf around with an adapter. Priority on the firmware for me anyway, 60fps please even if its at prores 1080p.
Last edited by Christine Peterson on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Problem is Philip seems to not spend much time on writing his reviews! It's like he's making up a lot as he films himself on his pieces to camera segments.

Otherwise he knows what he doing and is obviously well versed in the camera world

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Costa wrote:Problem is Philip seems to not spend much time on writing his reviews! It's like he's making up a lot as he films himself on his pieces to camera segments.

Otherwise he knows what he doing and is obviously well versed in the camera world

4 days filming and 4 days editing isn't that bad for an unpaid reviewer. Someone paid to review kit, (by an independent review site/magazine not the manufacturer obviously) could spend more time, but that's a serious chunk of time not directly earning money.

Jesuan Soriano

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm not really into Phillip bloom stuff, and yeah i'm jealous he's getting lots of cameras and especially BMCC for free to review them.

But c'mon if he is in this level it may be because he's been working a lot during the years and he knows what he's talking about, so i'm pretty sure he deserves what he's getting right now. Anyway brands are who give him stuff so don't blame on him. If brands and people trust him is because he does a good job. Maybe you don't like it, as many people will, and the most important thing about him is that he nevers pushes you to buy any kind of stuff, he says what there is and then is up to you to decide what to buy and what to do.

Maybe in a few years when you are a super famous filmmaker you will get free stuff to review and then someone will rant about that. I hope there will be the day somebody rants about my work. That would mean that i'm somebody in the industry.

So take it easy man, and work harder to get where you want to get. :)
Jesus Soriano

PetePolyakov

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Philip has such a great british humor and this is more than enough for me :-)
Last edited by PetePolyakov on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Waldorff

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm

>Philip has great such a great british humor and this is more than enough for me
And certainly he makes sure to present his chest hair at all times... Which I could do without. ;)

Jesuan Soriano

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm

John Waldorff wrote:>Philip has great such a great british humor and this is more than enough for me
And certainly he makes sure to present his chest hair at all times... Which I could do without. ;)

aahhahahahahahaa +1
Jesus Soriano

bhook

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Afraid of bears?

Clayton Burkhart

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Writing reviews is time consuming. Believe me the cost is often greater than the value of the equipment when you consider what a single day of billing would normally be.

Easy to slag off someone who is putting himself out there regularly. Much harder to walk the line oneself.
Clayton Burkhart
www.edgework.me

Vince Gaffney

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 am

Say or think what you want about Philip Bloom, but the reality is that he has provided more useful information and thoughtful insight on more products than you can count - and done it without expectation of renumeration. Let's give credit where is due.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am

Vince Gaffney wrote:and done it without expectation of renumeration.

Not sure i would go that far. I would say the bulk of his opportunities and success has been the result of his site/blog and the readers he pulls. IMHO it launched the high profile career he has now and perhaps even sustains it (conjecture). His reviews lead to high traffic numbers leading to advertisers/sponsorships/opportunities so i wouldn't say he's not running a business there. Unlike in fairy tales, talent will only get you so far - which is not very far at all IMHO. What you really need is exceptional people skills, marketing, and good luck - THEN you need the talent/skill to back it up if/when you get a shot.

To all of which i say, good on him. But there's a big difference IMHO in the type of information that he delivers versus say David Mullen (prob sounding like a fanboy of David now - lol). Phillip speaks more to a consumer market (as Vince said he's given a lot of information about PRODUCTS) - David Mullen speaks to working and aspiring cinematographers. Both are valid. And all in my opinion of course.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Waldorff

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Hey, does David Mullen have a blog or something..? I was not able to find anything yet.

Thanks.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Unfortunately not, but there are some great threads out there on cinematography.com and the massive "ask David Mullen anything" thread on reduser.net

Direct links to other forums aren't allowed here but a quick google search will find this stuff.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Waldorff

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks a lot. That keeps me busy for a while.

bhook

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 pm

I really don't understand how internoids can give a guy who can make any grief about anything. :roll:

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 am

That looks pretty good, but if i'm in the camp of 'giving him Grief' i dont think i am.. i've just been saying that he shoots very different stuff and on a different scale to someone like David Mullen..

Here's some screen grabs from David's site:

He's posted very detailed Dairies and answered many questions on forums about the making of these films and other projects he's done. He's VERY generous with his time and knowledge, and i would say a better example of giving out useful information and thoughtful insight without expectation of renumeration as he's posting all this on forums instead of a blog or his own forum where he could monetize the traffic/get sponsors/ etc.

Just my opinion of course.

bhook

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 am

CaptainHook wrote:instead of a blog or his own forum where he could monetize the traffic/get sponsors/ etc.

Maybe Bloom could give him a few tips...

:lol:

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 am

:D
I'm sure he's aware he COULD do that.. but chooses not to. I think that speaks volumes about David's character. But anyway... this a Bloom thread.. i'll try stop fanboying David now. :P

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 am

CaptainHook wrote:Unfortunately not, but there are some great threads out there on cinematography.com and the massive "ask David Mullen anything" thread on reduser.net

Direct links to other forums aren't allowed here but a quick google search will find this stuff.

Okay I'm checking it out... Only about 4,600 messages to go! Actually seems like a good idea to distract some distraught posters in a certain thread here as they wait for the second coming of their savior so-to-speak.
Rick Lang

Fabián Matas

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 am

Roger Deakins have his own forum also he is really kind to answer, and I'm sure he does not have any ad in the forum.

Kholi Hicks

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm

CaptainHook wrote:That looks pretty good, but if i'm in the camp of 'giving him Grief' i dont think i am.. i've just been saying that he shoots very different stuff and on a different scale to someone like David Mullen..

David Mullens is an actual feature film and television cinematographer. I think that's the major difference. =]
Kholi Hicks

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Hey, does David Mullen have a blog or something..? I was not able to find anything yet. Thanks.

Philip Bloom is a talented and generous guy, and a pretty smart businessman, but he's got a long way to go in the talent & generous depts. before he gets into the same territory as M. David Mullen, ASC. That's not a knock on Philip; I like him.

By way of answering your question about Mr. Mullen, the following should keep you busy for a while:

[EDIT: Most links removed by request from BMD]

M. David Mullen's website:
http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Search for the enormous "Ask David Mullen anything" thread in the REDuser dot NET forum.

Search for his many detailed production diaries in the "In Production" section in the Cinematography dot COM site.

I think David also posts on Cinematography dot NET too.

... etc., etc., etc. ...

David's like the one-man faculty of a free online film school. Except he's not only an excellent teacher, but also a busy working DP.

Cheers!

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:[EDIT: Most links removed by request from BMD]

Childish.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Nick Bedford

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 am

I don't get the restriction on cross forum linking...

Also, I too enjoy Philip's work, but then Philip isn't an A.S.C. cinematographer. Philip is more of a documentary / ENG guy and I must say, he does what he does very well, especially given his most recent video.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 am

Nick Bedford wrote:I don't get the restriction on cross forum linking...

Neither really. The reason i've been given from Terry and Christine is something about promotional requests for personal websites and other forums forcing them to make a general rule.

It is a shame since it's a great way to share information without the need to repeat it but it's their house so. :)

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Philip Blooms latest mini doc shot on the Black Magic Cinema Camera.

Eric Santiago

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Michael Sandiford wrote:
Philip Blooms latest mini doc shot on the Black Magic Cinema Camera.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/10/12/ponte/

Great article :)

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah I liked the fact that he's getting over his EF mount worries. Although the rolling shutter he mentioned is bad on the lamp posts. Admittedly though if he hadn't have pointed it out I would never have noticed and would have just thought it was some angled construction.

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 8:23 pm

http://www.filedropper.com/frame000056
Raw still from the shoot. Forget the highlights now, play with those blacks, the amount of detail hidden is astounding.

Frank Glencairn

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Just pumped Philips original DNG through my Resolve workflow pipeline - worked as I expected.
Still a bit noisy, but more like what you expect from film - actually better, try to underexpose film 3 stops, than push it up. When you look at frames from Bladerunner you find more noise there.

I don't have the full version of Resolve running yet, since BM was sending me a MAC dongle, so no full resolution and no noise reduction.
And - surprise - since the last firmeware and Resolve update, better than with camera raw.

1.Raw file as demosaiced in Resolve and LUT applied
2. Graded version

File download: http://www.filedropper.com/raw11

Frank
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Return to Cinematography