Stabilizer for BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eli B. Michaud

Stabilizer for BMPCC

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:22 pm

I've been looking for a stabilizer and have read reviews for both the Steadicam Merlin 2 and the Revo ST-1000 Pro video stabilizers, both on B&H. Does anybody have any other recommended stabilizers for the BMPCC. Also the big difference between the Merlin 2 and ST-1000 is the price. How much more bang for my buck would I get for coughing up the extra cash.
Eli B. Michaud
Director, Cinematographer, Writer, Camera Operator

Kofa

Re: Stabilizer for BMPCC

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 pm

I have the MZ Steadycam http://www.mzsteadycam.com/#!home/mainPage which uses a similar balancing system as these two...and I'm more than happy with it. If I need something more robust, I just rent a glidecam4000.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Before you decide on a stabilizer, think about what lenses you want to use, and what total weight you will accumulate with eg. cam, lens, maybe speedbooster, field monitor etc.; make sure your system doesn't exceed the 2kg both the merlin 2 and the revo st-1000 are designed for. If you only want to carry the BMPCC and a pancake lens you are good, but imagine the Cam fitted with that really nice sigma 18-35 lens plus speedbooster to get reasonably wide - the lens+speedbooster alone is roughly 1 kg!

Mark Jamerson

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 5:22 am

most stabilizer actually work better with a slight overload of weight
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Raymond Zananiri

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 am

I have both the Merlin 2 and the Blackbird. I much prefer the Blackbird because it allows you to dampen the gimbal. It is easier to operate and I get much better results with it.

Return to Cinematography