It is still worth it to buy a BMCC 2.5K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
Rude

It is still worth it to buy a BMCC 2.5K

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 5:51 am

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum.... I was reaaaaally hot on buying a BMCC 2.5. After watching reviews my hot became worm. Specially with sensor on the EF mount cropping 2.3 of the frame? Field of view is smaller? Is there a solution for that?

I do lots of FX, green screen and compositing, so I thought 2.5 raw is great but then Canon Marks cameras are doing raw too at 14 bit. My budget is around $2000 so I can't afford a Mark 3 or Black Magic 4k so I guess I have no choice that get the 2.5K BM. I do like the footage and look of the camera too but is BM planning to keep going updating the firmware for the 2.5k or are they going to focus more on the pocket and the 4K.
No HDMI? Why thunderbolt when mac won't go for high end workstation?

Thanks guys.

Rude

adamroberts

Re: It is still worth it to buy a BMCC 2.5K

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 am

Rude wrote:Hi guys, I'm new in the forum.... I was reaaaaally hot on buying a BMCC 2.5. After watching reviews my hot became worm. Specially with sensor on the EF mount cropping 2.3 of the frame? Field of view is smaller? Is there a solution for that?

I do lots of FX, green screen and compositing, so I thought 2.5 raw is great but then Canon Marks cameras are doing raw too at 14 bit. My budget is around $2000 so I can't afford a Mark 3 or Black Magic 4k so I guess I have no choice that get the 2.5K BM. I do like the footage and look of the camera too but is BM planning to keep going updating the firmware for the 2.5k or are they going to focus more on the pocket and the 4K.
No HDMI? Why thunderbolt when mac won't go for high end workstation?

Rude, welcome to the forum.

Many of your questions are answered in detail in other threads already on the forum.

Yes the crop factor is 2.3 compared to the 5D but there 5D is a stills camera first. Cinema cameras like the Arri Alexa or Red Epic use a Super35mm sensor. This is pretty much and industry standard.

When compared to a cinema camera the BMCC crop factor is 1.6.

Many are using the Tokina 11-16mm on the BMCC EF. This gives you a similar FOV as using a 25mm on the Canon 5D.

If you want to go wider you could look at getting the MFT mount and adding a Metabones Speed Booster. The current one will reduce that crop factor by .71. Do the effective crop compared to a 5D is 1.63. Close to the 7D.

Metabones also have another Speed Booster specifically for the BMCC MFT with reduces that crop by .64 making the crop factor 1.53 (http://www.metabones.com/article/of/met ... ting-today)

BM have said they are still working on the BMCC firmware. We expect some updates soon... but we are still waiting. Most of us use the camera regularly without issues. You learn to work around the little things just like you do on any other camera.

HDMI is a consumer format. HDSDI is a professional format. Much better to have HDMI.

Thunderbolt is available on PC to. It's not a Mac thing. Thunderbolt on the BMCC is used you direct capture via Media Express and for Ultrascopes. Both applications are very useful and both need the data rates that Thunderbolt offers.

Rude

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks for answering my questions.
How do you compare the canon 14 bit with BM 12 bit raw? I watched a commercial out there shot with an
I was readind about "metabones", so that only works with Micro-4/3 mount...The MFT mount is the Micro?
Anyway, still I'm excited about it, and more with the software too. "Davinci"

What mount do you think is more convenience in terms of lens quality and choice out there...

adamroberts

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

The Canon 5D RAW is a hack. The system was not designed to deliver video in RAW. So the there are a lot of things that are not ideal.

1: You need very fast and expensive CF cards (±$120 for 64GB). The BMCC uses standard SSDs (±$224 for 240GB)
2: The sensor data in the 5D is still being resized. This brings with it the same issues it has with the built in video mode
3: The 5D does not record ProRes. While ProRes is not RAW it is extremely good as a codec and in many occasions you don't actually need RAW, you could be shooting ProRes and have an easier work flow.
4: The work flow in post is more complex. Yes there are now tools to help but it's still extra steps.

The image is about the same from both. In some cases the 5D might be slightly better but in most cases the BMCC is slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, I thing the hack in the 5D is amazing... but it's still a hack.

MFT = Micro-4/3

What mount is best? All depends on your needs. I have the EF mount because I ordered mine long before the MFT mount was announced. Would I trade it?? No. Would I get a MFT as well?? Probably.

The EF mount offer IS on Canon lenses. Nice for hand held work. The EF can take Nikon glass (which I have a lot of). The EF can use lenses form 10-600mm. There is a lot to chose from.

The MFT mount can use some great manual MFT lenses. It can be adapted to use many more PL lenses (EF can only use a few PL lenses). MFT can use the Metabones Speed Booster.

Each has it's pros and cons.

Rude

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 5:41 pm

adamroberts wrote:The Canon 5D RAW is a hack. The system was not designed to deliver video in RAW. So the there are a lot of things that are not ideal.

1: You need very fast and expensive CF cards (±$120 for 64GB). The BMCC uses standard SSDs (±$224 for 240GB)
2: The sensor data in the 5D is still being resized. This brings with it the same issues it has with the built in video mode
3: The 5D does not record ProRes. While ProRes is not RAW it is extremely good as a codec and in many occasions you don't actually need RAW, you could be shooting ProRes and have an easier work flow.
4: The work flow in post is more complex. Yes there are now tools to help but it's still extra steps.

The image is about the same from both. In some cases the 5D might be slightly better but in most cases the BMCC is slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, I thing the hack in the 5D is amazing... but it's still a hack.

MFT = Micro-4/3

What mount is best? All depends on your needs. I have the EF mount because I ordered mine long before the MFT mount was announced. Would I trade it?? No. Would I get a MFT as well?? Probably.

The EF mount offer IS on Canon lenses. Nice for hand held work. The EF can take Nikon glass (which I have a lot of). The EF can use lenses form 10-600mm. There is a lot to chose from.

The MFT mount can use some great manual MFT lenses. It can be adapted to use many more PL lenses (EF can only use a few PL lenses). MFT can use the Metabones Speed Booster.

Each has it's pros and cons.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I do want to buy it and I will...I just only need to decide what mount... Thanks again
R

Ian Nguyen

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Just bought the 2.5K and cannot wait to get it tomorrow!! :D

Rude

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:10 pm

yweski wrote:Just bought the 2.5K and cannot wait to get it tomorrow!! :D

Congrats! What mount?

Rude

Ian Nguyen

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 pm

EF mount, also picked up the whole rig setup from Tilta AND a CAME 500 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal. Will post pictures as soon as I get the toys. :D

Return to Cinematography