Pocket Camera in Motorsports Production

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tyler Purcell

Pocket Camera in Motorsports Production

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 8:26 am

Howdy!

I'm so excited to be here and share my stories during my production with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera. We're currently doing camera tests (short video's) to test the pro's and con's of the rig. Over the course of the next few months, I'm going to be on-location shooting all-over Southern California, collecting material for a teaser which is going to lead into a feature, all shot on the pocket camera.

My decision for using the pocket camera was simply based on its quality and size. There is nothing like it on the market and with the right accessories/lens package, the camera has been perfect for me. I'm an all-manual control guy and I've had horrible experiences shooting with the SLR fleet and the restrictions. Yes, there are "fixes" for some of those restrictions, but nothing that generates 10 bit 220mbps 4:2:2, quicktime native, Pro Res HQ files. This is the key for me because I'm editing in FCP 7 or Avid and whatever the camera spits out, needs to be native to my editing systems.

I received my camera one month ago to the day, one of the early batches to hit this country. After a firmware update, I did some brief camera tests and went shooting the following weekend. Since then, I haven't been able to put the camera down, its been everything I wanted and more.

I plan on going into great details about my rig as it develops, for the time being I'm running the following equipment:

BMPC
Fotodiox EOS adaptor
Rokinon 1.5/85mm
Rokinon 1.5/24mm
Rokinon 3.1.14mm
Rokinon 3.8/8mm
Kinotehnik LCDVF BM
ProAim shoulder mount/follow focus/mattbox rig
Sennheiser wireless kit
Rode VideoMic shotgun mic

I'm waiting for the mic's, so far my videos have been using internal mic and its got some issues as everyone is aware. I'm not offended though, I didn't expect to use the internal audio, but its been a lifesaver during the few weeks its taken for my mic's to show up, thanks to an Amazon mess up!

So here are my first 2 video's... both part of my new series, but again, just baby steps in the big picture.

Ohh and yes, there were some pieces of dust on the sensor, we had a small wind storm mid lens changing.

youtube.com/watch?v=tq6sntnWZBo

youtube.com/watch?v=qWTwMgR1ZPw
Editor and Colorist
Avid and DaVinci Resolve
Expert with motion picture film and digital cinema.

Return to Cinematography