Is there an adapter for BMPC to allow Canon EF lens usage?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cayenne

Is there an adapter for BMPC to allow Canon EF lens usage?

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking very hard about getting a Black Magic Pocket Camera, as that the price is right and from what I understand, it now shoots RAW.

My problem is, I don't know squat about micro 4/3's lenses. I was under the impression that an adapter for using Canon EF lenses on the MFT mount, is this true and if so, can someone post a link for it?

If going for a straight MFT lens for this camera, what's the best bang for buck lens that's out there currently?

Any good links to a treatise on understanding the MFT format and what lenses are out there for this camera?

I'd love to reuse what Canon glass I have if I could, but if 1-2 dedicated MFT lenses are available out there for a reasonable price, I'd certainly keep that in mind as an option (especially if the EF lens adapter isn't out yet).

I'm holding off on using the Magic Lantern firmeware on my current Canon 5D3, till it gets out of Alpha stage, but am anxious to shoot and play with RAW video, and the BMPC seems to be a steal for this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, links and answers!!

cayenne

joechiazza

Re: Is there an adapter for BMPC to allow Canon EF lens usag

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

There are tons of m3/4 to ef lens adapters. Just search it on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor Camarot

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 am

If you are trying to use electronic lenses, you will need an electronic adapter. The only one proven to be reliable is the Redrock Livelens adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221337534617?ss ... 1555.l2649)

I am actually selling this adapter (along with the new sigma 18-35 f/1.8) since Im using all nikon mount glass now. If you just want the adapter I will sell it for $495 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... ctive.html) usually $598.
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

joechiazza

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 5:11 am

Taylor Camarot wrote:If you are trying to use electronic lenses, you will need an electronic adapter. The only one proven to be reliable is the Redrock Livelens adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221337534617?ss ... 1555.l2649)

I am actually selling this adapter (along with the new sigma 18-35 f/1.8) since Im using all nikon mount glass now. If you just want the adapter I will sell it for $495 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... ctive.html) usually $598.

Just curious why you are selling the sigma lens? Everyone raves about that thing.

Rafael Molina

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 3:43 pm

cayenne wrote:Hi all,

I'm thinking very hard about getting a Black Magic Pocket Camera, as that the price is right and from what I understand, it now shoots RAW...

I'd love to reuse what Canon glass I have if I could, but if 1-2 dedicated MFT lenses are available out there for a reasonable price, I'd certainly keep that in mind as an option (especially if the EF lens adapter isn't out yet)...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, links and answers!!

cayenne

I have been looking for a while these FotodioX adapters, I haven't bought one yet, but I'm planning to get one to adapt vintage FD Canon lenses to my BMCC EF.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 3_mft.html
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Kofa

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 4:21 pm

I have one from EZ Photo with built in aperture control. Purchased on amazon. Works like a charm.
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

Dustin Svehlak

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 pm

misterkofa wrote:I have one from EZ Photo with built in aperture control. Purchased on amazon. Works like a charm.

Which lenses are you using? any EF-S lenses (Tokina 11-16mm, Tamron 17-50mm)? I've heard the built-in aperture doesn't work well with these but those are my primary lenses :(
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Kofa

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Dustin Keith wrote:
misterkofa wrote:I have one from EZ Photo with built in aperture control. Purchased on amazon. Works like a charm.

Which lenses are you using? any EF-S lenses (Tokina 11-16mm, Tamron 17-50mm)? I've heard the built-in aperture doesn't work well with these but those are my primary lenses :(

Can't speak for every model but the one I have works with both EF and EFS lenses. I've used it on Canon L series glass, the tokina 11-16, and the sigma 18-35.

Here's the link on amazon. It's actually cheaper than when I purchased it a while ago.
http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-adapter-Aperture-Panasonic-aperture/dp/B006JSSFZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387565894&sr=8-1&keywords=ez+photo+ef+to+micro
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

Rinaldo Lima

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Let me understand, so you open up the aperture of the EF lens to the maximum and then use the aperture of the adapter?.... Just curious, how can it be good as the weak point of a lens is when it is wide open (specially the fast ones) and you are introducing an iris mechanism before the mount?

cayenne

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far....

Ok, I was hoping that someone had made an EF to MFT adapter..that would pass through the black magic's power and electronic control to the EF lens....still looking.

I thought I'd heard that metabones speedbooster would be making an EF to MFT adapter that could be used with the BMPC.

I found an old article saying it would be delayed, but this was back in August:

http://www.43rumors.com/speed-booster-ef-to-mft-adapter-release-delayed/

I think once this comes out...I'll be getting my BMPC to play with....

It appears the only have nikon "G" to BMPC adapters so far.

:(
cayenne

Lamberto Lamberti

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm

The Sigma 18-35 is an APS-C lens. It won't work with the future metabones EF-MFT. Look at the FAQ.

paulgolden

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 5:24 am

The EZ Photo adapter is a really bad idea. It puts a second aperture behind the rear element of the lens and causes vignetting about 2 stops in from wide open. It is in no way equivalent to controlling the aperture built into the EOS lens.

The RedRock adapter, for what it's worth, does control the EF lens aperture through electronics, but the implementation is so cumbersome and wonky that I can't recommend it for production use. There is another adapter made in England by MTF Services that promises aperture control, but it's pricey at $1,000.

My advice is to forget about EOS to MFT adapters and go with Nikon G-MFT adapters which actually control the lenses own aperture and work well. Buy the Metabones BMCC or BMPC Speedboosters and stop worrying about using EOS glass. If you must use EOS lenses, get an EF mount BMCC.

Kofa

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 am

Lamberto Lamberti wrote:The Sigma 18-35 is an APS-C lens. It won't work with the future metabones EF-MFT. Look at the FAQ.

Not true. It will work just fine. There is a chance of vignette at the wide end but the lens will work just fine.
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

adamroberts

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 am

misterkofa wrote:
Lamberto Lamberti wrote:The Sigma 18-35 is an APS-C lens. It won't work with the future metabones EF-MFT. Look at the FAQ.

Not true. It will work just fine. There is a chance of vignette at the wide end but the lens will work just fine.

Correct.

It'll be fine on the BMCC and BMPCC as the sensor is much smaller than the MFT sensor.

When using a Speed Booster on an ASP-C sensor like the NEX you will need to use Full Frame lenses because using an ASP-C lens would mean the image circle won't cover the sensor.

Kofa

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am

paulgolden wrote:The EZ Photo adapter is a really bad idea. It puts a second aperture behind the rear element of the lens and causes vignetting about 2 stops in from wide open. It is in no way equivalent to controlling the aperture built into the EOS lens.

My advice is to forget about EOS to MFT adapters and go with Nikon G-MFT adapters which actually control the lenses own aperture and work well. Buy the Metabones BMCC or BMPC Speedboosters and stop worrying about using EOS glass. If you must use EOS lenses, get an EF mount BMCC.

Sorry but this is not true. Did you experience this yourself or are you just speculating? I have this adapter and experience absolutely no vignetting. I can say maybe there may be about a half stop of light lost but it's hardly noticeable... and who shoots wide open?

Here are two videos I shot with the EZ photo adapter and the canon EF 28mm 1.8 lens. No vignetting, no problems. It worked flawlessly. I've also used it with the sigma 18-35 1.8 as well with no issues.

About 75% of this video was shot with EF 28mm and ez photo adapter

venicebeach.jpg
venicebeach.jpg (565.82 KiB) Viewed 5336 times

This one was shot exclusively with the EF 28mm and ez photo adapter
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

Lamberto Lamberti

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 11:51 am

adamroberts wrote:
misterkofa wrote:

Correct.

It'll be fine on the BMCC and BMPCC as the sensor is much smaller than the MFT sensor.

When using a Speed Booster on an ASP-C sensor like the NEX you will need to use Full Frame lenses because using an ASP-C lens would mean the image circle won't cover the sensor.

Hello!
great to hear that,but i was referring to an official FAQ from Metabones:

"When will m4/3 cameras be supported?
Speed Boosters® for m4/3 cameras are currently available for Canon FD, Contax/Yashica, Leica R, Minolta MD and Nikon G lenses. Support for Contarex, ALPA, Rollei QBM and Canon EF (but not EF-S) are planned in the future, but we do not have an estimated date yet."

So,i think i have a wrong concept of EF-S lenses. Maybe?

Mel Nicholls

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm

misterkofa wrote:
Dustin Keith wrote:

Can't speak for every model but the one I have works with both EF and EFS lenses. I've used it on Canon L series glass, the tokina 11-16, and the sigma 18-35.

Here's the link on amazon. It's actually cheaper than when I purchased it a while ago.
http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-adapter-Aperture-Panasonic-aperture/dp/B006JSSFZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387565894&sr=8-1&keywords=ez+photo+ef+to+micro

Does the EzFoto Pro Canon EOS EF mount lens to MFT work with any EFS lenses? I've the 17-55. I'm glad to hear the tokina 11-16 works :)

Thanks.

Return to Cinematography