Super Slow Motion with Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kofa

Super Slow Motion with Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am

Did this super quick test to show that slow motion is achievable with the bmcc cameras. Shoot at 30fps, then conform using Twixtor in a 24fps timeline. First clip is blurry by the way but the effect still works.

EDIT: So what is twixtor you ask? and how do you use it?
Watch this:
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

metamind

Re: Super Slow Motion with Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Great!

Which settings did you use in Twixtor ?

Jon Braeley

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:13 pm

This is a little misleading as it is not the BMPCC which is creating the slo mo.

Twixtor has been around for a long time as post tool ... nothing to do with the camera choice.
Empty Mind Films: http://emptymindfilms.com

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 3:24 pm

The quality of Twixtor SlowMo (or similar techniques) depends not so much on the camera used, but on the shot composition.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

emptymind wrote:This is a little misleading as it is not the BMPCC which is creating the slo mo.

Twixtor has been around for a long time as post tool ... nothing to do with the camera choice.

Not nothing, if you Twixtor will produce the results you want it may allow you to select a camera with lower frame rates than otherwise.

Kofa

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Just trying to be a part of the solution fellas. Some may not know of twixtor, or that it's achievable with 30p footage.

The title of the thread is so others in the future can find this information when searching.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

JL Rocheron

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 12:38 am

My short teaser shoot in Bmpcc
JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

Kofa

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:MisterKofa, what are the penalties or drawbacks to using Twixtor?

The issues when not used correctly are artifacts, unwanted morphing or warping on parts of the image. If you take a close look at the example I provided, in the first shot, you can see his right hand's movement (your left) is not as smooth as the rest of his body. This is because he's moving fast and the shot is not in focus. The second example is perfect because the subject is moving slowly and is in focus, allowing twixtor to create the in-between frames accurately.

Spending some time with it and shooting test footage is the best way to fully understand how it works.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Use a tripod or stabilizer
2. Have your subject move slooooowly. If they have to run, try to have them run as slow as possible but take long strides.
3. Shoot at the highest frame rate possible. Of course 60 works better than 30, but we we gotta work with what we have...and it still works. And even when I shot at 60fps I still got artifacts.
4. Some report using a faster shutter to reduce motion blur which also helps, but I've been able to achieve these results shooting at 180 degrees.

Good luck and I hope this helps a few of us that really like the benefits of slow motion.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

James Mayo

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 am

I saw some video footage that looks like it was shot in 24 fps, then suddenly it becomes slow motion.
My question is, is it okay to shoot in 24 fps then use twixtor to convert it in slow motion?
or if I shoot in 30 fps or 60 fps, how can i make it look like 24 fps without affecting the speed?
James Mayo
Up and Coming Filmmaker

Return to Cinematography