Sony F65, Red Epic vs BMCC shootout

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

Re: Sony F65, Red Epic vs BMCC shootout

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:00 pm

You guys are a bit harsh sometimes!! I mean they did the shoutout.. It is true I and guess the others too were expecting to see something else but the video came up with the conclusion of that shootout that what each camera was best in that particular event!! It was simple and short..

RichDorato

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Would have been great if they showed footage from all three cameras of the same scene, otherwise it's hard to see this as a comparison. It's more a conclusion to a test we weren't invited to.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

bhook

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Abobakr wrote:You guys are a bit harsh sometimes!! I mean they did the shoutout.. It is true I and guess the others too were expecting to see something else

I expected to see a shootout. Am I guilty of unrealistic expectations again? One flaw in an otherwise sterling character. :lol:

Bill Rich

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks for posting the video Jules! I guess folks expected actual a/b/c camera comparison videos.. but I think for the BMCC to be compared in the same realm as the F65 and Red Epic and holding it's own is really encouraging! All of the cameras have their strong suits and weaknesses.. but after it's all said and done I makes me feel good that the BMCC is the real McCoy! .

Thank You!

And seriously folks.. Freaking grow up..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

titoheron

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Actually we have done side by side comparison but this is really boring. They look great. I mean, why would you like to look into side by side over vimeo - what is the point?
This type of camera tests was by far the most fun that I have done so far. And I have done few of them in my lifetime, including the famous BSC Great Camera tests.

If you really want to look images side by side, why don't you try and guess which camera is which on this still?

Dado Valentic

Nick Bedford

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, it wasn't really a shoot out if they wanted to tease everyone with calling it that. It was them being artsy and choosing a different camera for a different apparent style and look, each of which could have been achieved on all 3 cameras with anyone who knew what they were doing.

To nit pick, I thought the F65 was a little bit of sickly green compared to the others, but then that's also something that could have been graded out.

But whatever on the test. I've already made my mind up as to how the BMCC performs. I've seen and graded enough raw and ProRes footage on the BMCC and shot and processed enough raw DSLR stills to understand what the camera will capture.

In the end, the RED and Sony F65 cameras are generally a lot more complete as an A camera, but obviously for a price.

The image out of the BMCC is still tough to beat for $3,000.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

bhook

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 am

Bill Rich wrote:And seriously folks.. Freaking grow up..

That's becoming a really tired insult. They advertised it as a shootout...it wasn't. The Sony won...I guess. Yawn. Over-hyped big time.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 1:34 am

B then C then A.
B is my favourite, I wonder what camera B was?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Bill Rich

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 2:54 am

These guys spend a lot of time to put that test, webpage, and video together and obviously thought it might be of interest to us as future and current BMCC owners.. it was a shootout that just didn't show the actual test on the video.. but instead the results.. Sure it wasn't what was expected.. but why jump on the guy? Why not thank them for sharing the video with us and politely ask if there are plans to show some of the testing?

It's going to get to the point that no one will dare post a video here for fear of being ridiculed.

I do apologize if anyone was insulted by my comment to 'grow up'. it wasn't directed towards any particular person but rather the tone of the responses in general.. Yes we are all angry we don't have our cameras but I'll guarantee BMD is every bit as frustrated as we are.. They aren't making a penny until the camera ships. It's a situation that is beyond our control and as frustrating as it is, we shouldn't direct that anger towards someone that was trying to do something cool they thought would interest us.

Again.. I'm sorry to anyone that was insulted by my comment.. But I do feel that we are better than this as a community of filmmakers.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 3:01 am

Bill Rich wrote:These guys spend a lot of time to put that test, webpage, and video together and obviously thought it might be of interest to us as future and current BMCC owners.. it was a shootout that just didn't show the actual test on the video.. but instead the results.. Sure it wasn't what was expected.. but why jump on the guy? Why not thank them for sharing the video with us and politely ask if there are plans to show some of the testing?

It's going to get to the point that no one will dare post a video here for fear of being ridiculed.

I do apologize if anyone was insulted by my comment to 'grow up'. it wasn't directed towards any particular person but rather the tone of the responses in general.. Yes we are all angry we don't have our cameras but I'll guarantee BMD is every bit as frustrated as we are.. They aren't making a penny until the camera ships. It's a situation that is beyond our control and as frustrating as it is, we shouldn't direct that anger towards someone that was trying to do something cool they thought would interest us.

Again.. I'm sorry to anyone that was insulted by my comment.. But I do feel that we are better than this as a community of filmmakers.

Ahh what a refreshing post. Positivity for a change. We're all anxious and annoyed but I hope that once we all get our cameras, we'll be discussing tips, tricks, and ways to get the best out of this camera. Can't wait for that day to come.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

GripworksCo

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 am

Bill Rich wrote:These guys spend a lot of time to put that test, webpage, and video together and obviously thought it might be of interest to us as future and current BMCC owners.. it was a shootout that just didn't show the actual test on the video.. but instead the results.. Sure it wasn't what was expected.. but why jump on the guy? Why not thank them for sharing the video with us and politely ask if there are plans to show some of the testing?

Thank you for saying what's been on my mind ;)
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Dennis Nomer

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 7:35 am

I disagree with the sentiment that we have to just be nice. Sure, some people are hypercritical of odd things, but there is variety in a forum, and most posters are not saints.

If you look at the first promoting video, it showed all of these quick cuts of pro equipment, professional models, a nice set with decent lighting, high end garments, a clear statement of purpose (to evaluate performance on skin tones), using Resolve for grading, pointing out the power of log format capture, emphasis on grading to see what you really have, etc. Then in the results video: massive amounts of equivocating. The result video has a very definite political feel, with no real comparison for us to look at. They were clearly afraid to offend any camera company at all costs. There was plenty of motion blur in most frames. The only way to do something like this and post it online would be to post some quality individual graded frames and/or blow-ups of parts of frames and let us pixel peep and show side-by-side. The main presenter of the results has an official role of 'Therapist', and that is mostly what we got -- some counseling. They ended up saying it was a beauty pageant -- they all looked good. We already knew that. We wanted to see differences, and how subtle they were.

I think that these guys have some excellent footage that might be pretty revealing. They just are not revealing it. For example, suppose you show similar shots side by side (they won't be identical, because I don't believe that they shot with side-by-side cameras), but I hope lighting and acting were fairly repeatable. You could show them at 1080p (the target format for BMCC), then 4K. So shooters who are targeting 1080 for their own releases could see how the BMCC compares at that resolution. Obviously, grading would have to be carefully matched, and careful attention to any sharpening in camera or out would have to be paid. To really see a camera comparison, you are going to have to take the motion out of the deal, because motion blur cancels crucial aspects of the comparison.

Then again, I could be missing something. Maybe they feel bad that the lighting and performance were enough different that the comparisons will not be valid, and in an attempt at fairness, they just smudged over the whole 'shootout'. It was noted that the high end cameras also had better glass -- that is honest.

To be fair, what I am asking for (and what I think most shooters want) can be difficult. In another example (by someone else) of a supposed comparison of F65 and Epic, using detailed stills blown up, the F65 very obviously has more sharpening and more saturation (a different grade), plus a different lens, so that seriously muddies the comparison.

I hope they show us something more definitive and maybe less 'therapeutic'. In all reviews and comparisons, what we don't want is spin and what we want is truth, as best you can present it.

dn
Dennis Nomer

John Waldorff

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Well, to me it was obviously a marketing-stunt only to get a lot of links to their company website instead of making a real test.
There really isn't anything useful there. The footage looks nice but is most of the time out-of-focus, motion-blurry, and too-fast-for-that-framerate stuff.
It was ultimately a portfolio work or something for a different purpose I guess.

Bill Rich wrote:
These guys spend a lot of time to put that test, webpage, and video together

Yes, but unfortunately to make that marketing happen.

So back to Philip Bloom now. He spend all this efforts for similar reasons but reveals information of real value without the fluff :)

jasonxinzhou

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 2:51 pm

mhood wrote:Sorry to be negative but it struck me as much to do about nothing. The models were pretty but it totally lost credibility when the beautiful Black model was shown in B&W...come on man!

They're gr8 editors...very pretty footage.

You know what, I think Mytherapy made this test a more asian style, which means saying everyone's good while having their true opinion deep inside.

Yeah, they must have been to China or somewhere in Asia ahahahah.........just kidding

bhook

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 2:54 pm

jasonxinzhou wrote:
mhood wrote:Sorry to be negative but it struck me as much to do about nothing. The models were pretty but it totally lost credibility when the beautiful Black model was shown in B&W...come on man!

They're gr8 editors...very pretty footage.

You know what, I think Mytherapy made this test a more asian style, which means saying everyone's good while having their true opinion deep inside.

Yeah, they must have been to China or somewhere in Asia ahahahah.........just kidding

You lost me there Jason but weren't those B&W fleshtones wonderful?

rawCAM35

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm

" MYTHERAPY Camera Shootout
from Mytherapy D Cinelab "

" Camera test of Sony F65, RED Epic and Blackmagic Cameras brought to you by Mytherapy, "

They posted it as a Camera Test and a Camera Shootout , instead it is an opinion, do they have a problem of understanding the usage of these words?, or maybe it is a loyalty issue to the other two camera makers ?

I am glad that they do not work in the medical field, the results a blood test will come out as a poem.

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 7:15 pm

It felt to me like they were using this to advertise themselves rather than deliver what they advertised. Maybe there's more to come, I don't have problems with companies using the internet zeitgeist to market themselves but there was so little of any actual substance involved that all I got out from it was there's a company called MYTHERAPY that have some cameras and do stuff with models. It doesn't matter if they've taken the time out to do this, the likes of Laforet, Bloom, Glencairn etc do it all the time but they have an actual purpose and willingness to share info. Yes they get to market themselves at the same time but they give more value in their content. You could have dropped any of the cameras from their so called shoot out and it wouldn't have mattered.

I try to keep positive about everything but this, nah. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll give more, but I may as well do a shootout with a cheese grater, ferret and a copy of Razzle and could have come to their same generalised results.

DaleCampbellFilms

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Michael Sandiford wrote:I try to keep positive about everything but this, nah. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll give more, but I may as well do a shootout with a cheese grater, ferret and a copy of Razzle and could have come to their same generalised results.

I would tip that on vimeo.
http://www.dalecampbelldop.com

Michael Sandiford

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 am

So on their vimeo page they've been getting the requests fo footage and so on
We are going to take into account your requests. Let me discuss this this with company management and camera manufacturers and see what we can do.
You have to understand that we are R&D lab for many big manufactures and as such have strong contractual agreements. Also this test shoot was just part of much bigger project. However let me see what we can do...

So there maybe more but it also confirms that it's another company hampered (or empowered, I cn never decide) by it contractual agreements as an R&D lab. Doubt they'd dare show one as being better than the other. Hence why we ended up with a everyones a winner result.

John Waldorff

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 pm

>Also this test shoot was just part of much bigger project. However let me see what we can do...
And it also shows that they had a different project that had nothing to do with this and just marketed it as a test. LOL
Previous

Return to Cinematography