Zeiss ZE or ZF what is wise ??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cengizözgök

Zeiss ZE or ZF what is wise ??

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 am

Hello
I was very disappoint with the samyang 24mm cine version sharpness is not good enough at 2.8 its getting better but not enough..I will send it back..

Now I want to make a good investment got mine focus on Zeiss 25mm T2.0
Only I can't make the decision between ZE the canon version or ZF nikon version with manual aperture ..
The nikon version need a adapter don't no which one..

I'm shooting on this moment canon 60D and preorder BMCC EF mount ??

Which one should I order ????????

adamroberts

Re: Zeiss ZE or ZF what is wise ??

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Both are optically the same.

The Nikon mount can easily be converted and you can have the aperture ring declicked. This would let you adjust the aperture smoothly while shooting. The Nikon version focuses the "wrong" way. As in it focuses in the oposite direction to Cine lenses and almost all other lenses.

The Canon version focuses that came direction as Cine lenses but you have to control the aperture from the camera body. Not ideal while shooting. The Canon electronic aperture aslo works in 1/3 steps so you don't get a smooth step free adjustment.

Guess it depends on how much control you want over the aperture.

cengizözgök

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I dont think much about adjusting aperture while shooting on this moments It's hell of a job to adjust the aperture while shooting..
I ask my self is it worth to have manual aperture against adjust the aperture from the camera ?

greg fiske

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm

The other con with using adapter is if you get the cheap ones, I've had the screws come loose on them and you start to have problems, or its added maintenance. On the 60d, if I ever need a smooth change in exposure or need to change exposure quickly then I use shutter priority @1/50. I have c/y lenses that are declicked, and although nice, the newer zeiss 50 2 is my go-to.

David Cain

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm

I own a set of the ZF.2 lenses. I first purchased the ZEs, then returned them. My thinking at the time - and it hasn't changed since - is the following.

1. The ZE (Canon/EF-mount) isn't adaptable to a Nikon mount, whereas the Nikon (F-Mount) is pretty much universally adaptable due to its smaller size. Therefore you are not locked in to EF-only camera mounts if you go with the ZFs. I'll quickly add that, practically, this hasn't been an issue, since most recent cameras have been EF mount. Nikon is the outlier, but they really haven't come to the table with a camera that has been a popular choice with motion folk. But it could happen and if you want to use that camera, you're out of luck with the ZE version. And, of course, it's a non-starter for aperture control if you can't even adapt the ZE lens.

2. Aperture control has already been covered on the 1/3 stop increments vs granular control in de-clicked lenses. I'll just add, or re-enforce the point, it's critical if you're working in a less than ideal shooting environment where you do not have control over lighting and you want to ride the iris. I'm thinking here of a documentary style shoot.

3. Purchase solid adapters. I first bought a Novoflex. Superb, yet really expensive at $300 per. So, for the remainder of my primes, I opted for a cheaper brand called, Coyo. Then I caught a lens after it detached from the adapter/camera mount. I took it as a stern warning. I had my lenses modified by Duclos last year and got the screw-in type adapters. Excellent. Again expensive but not outrageously (think less than $180 per).

4. A work around for the "backward" focus rotation is to purchase a reversing gear. Duclos sells a good one - I have it. Not cheap, but well made. Of course this assumes you'll be using rods and follow focus. Otherwise, you retrain your brain. I've done it and struggle with simple math. It gets really tricky though moving between EF and F rotation lenses on the same day. So think about how often this will happen in your particular line of work. I, for example, do a lot of corporate and doc work and I've been fortunate enough to use my gear for the bulk of it.

PetePolyakov

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 1:52 am

I have all the set of ZE lenses but honestly speaking I would change it to ZF, because it's very manual lenses already and ZF much more flexible and ZF lenses would work with any type of mounts. manual is manual. Plus I red on the reduser forum, people are having problems with RED epic + several models of ZE lenses.

btw - is that true that ZE/ZF lenses product not the Zeiss company but some company that have zeiss license (like a franchise)?

Jarrett Craig

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 am

ZE and ZF lenses are manufactured in Japan by Cosina to Zeiss manufacturing standards.

cengizözgök

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 11:15 am

thanks for the need full advices

I'm still in doubts ZF lenses ask more investment
Something that barrows me is that the ZF version has focus ring turning wrong way what does this mean to operate with..on set.?

I have also heard about the leitax adapter someone have use this adapter and will this adapter or outer adapters also match with BMCC..??
This lenses are not cheap for me so I will make mine decision careful
Thank you for all your support

Return to Cinematography