Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Darko Djerich

Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 3:04 am

Very smart move and thinking out of the box, instead of competing in impossible arena of mobile devices,
BMD found strategy to Improve them and add their own cult print.

This App is IMO the most exciting announcement despite my own issues with phones in cinematography.

It is inevitable, iPhones and iPads are integrated and useful tools now in all areas of cinematography from controlling the lights and VP volumes on the set, writing scripts , using as Shoot planing tools and Clapper boards, list is endless, really...

I can easily see how iPhone 15 Pro Max is shooting blockbusters in all environments Virtual or real sets already.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

SeldomSeenKid

Re: BMD Camera App

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 7:28 am

After using FilmicPro and CameraP3 quite a bit, I just quickly checked the BMD App and I like to thank BMD for this one. Besides the fact that it records ProRes even on my standard iPhone13 it is - as far as I know - the only app that records CONSTANT FRAMERATES!
It also looks like the metadata is containing everything you need to know.
Guys, this app will render all other camera apps for iPhone obsolete. Well done!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 8:58 am

looks like it is still not available for the french market... any news ?

Uli Plank

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 9:49 am

That’s probably Apple and/or French rulemakers taking their time, not BM.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ni-sc_

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 10:52 am

I didn't expect a camera app from Blackmagic, and as a cherry on top, for free. Folks over at Filmic Pro might be panicking a bit. Cloud upload sounds nice too, but I wonder if they will support the record to external storage feature of the new iPhone 15 Pro. Or is this feature limited to the Apple camera app?

koatimundi

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 10:53 am

Does BMD Camera really record ProRes even on a basic iPhone 14? It is selectable on the settings but I was wondering if it's even possible to record ProRes on a non-Pro iPhone.

SeldomSeenKid

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Hm... this is weired. The very first test shot I did has a constant framerate of 30 (reported by MediaInfo).
I played a bit with some non-cruical settings settings and now I do only get variable framerates but always 30.00 min and 31.579 max.
So a constant framerate is definately not to be taken as granted.
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

John Brawley

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 12:10 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:.
So a constant framerate is definately not to be taken as granted.

It's an Apple limitation.

Let's hope it changes.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 12:31 pm

This app also serves as training wheels for those of us who eventually want to use one of the newer Blackmagic cameras (I'm still on the original BMPCC and BMMCC), a smart move as well.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 12:35 pm

I tested 25 fps, and it is variable, but not by much, up to 26.
Which can still be a problem.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

RChicago

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 1:26 pm

Does anyone know if this shoots Timelapse? I see a slider and I slide it to on, but I cannot see how to shoot a Timelapse in the camera page/screen.

Cinema_is_not_dead_is_it?

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 2:44 pm

I’ve been testing the app and I have noticed the slider for the audio input was greyed out ( and stuck on 100%, unfortunately, so the sound is distorted and unusable). If we cannot turn the volume down the only option left is to choose « no microphone » which is not something helpful when trying to do a quick interview, is it?

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 3:20 pm

I would like to take advantage of the BMCAMAP (Blackmagic Camera app for Phones) capabilities for also shooting stills. However I can’t seem to find any setting in all the modes for Photo. Any selections related to the camera are limited to recording motion pictures.

My iPhone 14 Pro supports use of various angles in Apple’s Camera app that use the three available physical cameras:
0.5x 13mm wide angle
1x 24mm normal
2x cropped 24mm
3x 77mm telephoto
Using BMCAMAP, there is no 2x option.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

BMD Camera App

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 3:22 pm

RChicago wrote:Does anyone know if this shoots Timelapse? I see a slider and I slide it to on, but I cannot see how to shoot a Timelapse in the camera page/screen.
Have you gone into the depths of the BMCAMAP’s Settings / Record that is shown when you hold the camera horizontally? You can activate Timelapse as it defaults to Off.

Edit
I set Timelapse On but I agree, I don’t see the options for setting Timelapse values. It does record Timelapse rather than motion video, but I can’t see the frequency of taking each frame. The Timecode records and advances by 1 frame so it’s no longer the real Timecode values. A clip of several seconds plays back almost instantly.
Rick Lang

RChicago

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 3:40 pm

rick.lang wrote:
RChicago wrote:Does anyone know if this shoots Timelapse? I see a slider and I slide it to on, but I cannot see how to shoot a Timelapse in the camera page/screen.
Have you gone into the depths of the BMCAMAP’s Settings / Record that is shown when you hold the camera horizontally? You can activate Timelapse as it defaults to Off.

I have gone into this exact place and slid the slider to on. This is what I was referring to when I said I saw a slider. I see no changes on the interface screen or a way to actually shoot Timelapse's.

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 11:01 pm

koatimundi wrote:Does BMD Camera really record ProRes even on a basic iPhone 14? It is selectable on the settings but I was wondering if it's even possible to record ProRes on a non-Pro iPhone.

Thought the same myself but just shot a 13 second clip on my iPhone 13 mini in ProRes 4444. File size is 518MB at 24 fps so I think that's really ProRes. The H.265 proxy is 10MB.

I also thought ProRes only shot very defined and standardized resolutions but this is 2160 x 1214 holding the phone in portrait but shooting the video in landscape.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Steve Golding

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Like others, I think that this was BMD's biggest news yesterday, but it is early days and it can only get better. I only have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, so no ProRes for me yet and some of the settings are a bit glitchy and get stuck on, or off. I think the potential for this as an multi cam event shooting system for corporate or education is immense.

As has been mentioned by JB we just need Apple to come to the party an free up the API like it was ten or so years ago when we did have actual RAW photo apps on the iPhone that actually worked. Apple really are the weak link here.

Looking forward to the future of this app.

Steve.

gusvic

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 8:50 am

It is a great app and I am already using it on the iPhone. I loaded it on my iPad Pro and it works also but only with the small screen.
I hope there will be an iPad Version soon.
Thanks

Skazmi

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 11:39 am

Hello friends.
Does anyone know how to shoot log video with this app. There is a section in settings for LUT but even if you upload a LUT nothing happens except that a LUT icon appears in top left corner of the main screen but tapping it, nothing happens.
Thanks

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 6:24 am

Cinema_is_not_dead_is_it? wrote:I’ve been testing the app and I have noticed the slider for the audio input was greyed out ( and stuck on 100%, unfortunately, so the sound is distorted and unusable). If we cannot turn the volume down the only option left is to choose « no microphone » which is not something helpful when trying to do a quick interview, is it?

I can confirm that issue.

SeldomSeenKid

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 am

Skazmi wrote:Hello friends.
Does anyone know how to shoot log video with this app. There is a section in settings for LUT but even if you upload a LUT nothing happens except that a LUT icon appears in top left corner of the main screen but tapping it, nothing happens.
Thanks

Only with iPhone15 Pro & Pro Max.

rick.lang

BMD Camera App

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Several issues shooting video as have been described on this forum, but the most disappointing is the lack of support for shooting stills with the BMCAMAP. I have a photo shoot next weekend and so far it looks like I’ll use the Apple Camera app that creates DNG stills as I’ve done successfully before. I suppose there’s the option to shoot very short Timelapse clips instead on the BMCAMAP and extract the best ‘still’ from tiny clips; think I’ll test that today with h.264 and ProRes 4444 to see if that’s practical. Got a feeling that approach is a PITA compared to actual DNG stills since I’ll be grading hundreds of takes. A learning experience…
Rick Lang

Steve Alexander

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 2:23 pm

Focus assist is not available during recording...
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 2:40 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:
Thanks

Lut work only on 14

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Skazmi

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 5:30 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
SeldomSeenKid wrote:
Thanks

Lut work only on 14

I have an Iphone 13 pro max, which means i have no chance of shooting log with this app

Curtis Campsall

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 8:43 pm

How accurate is the white balance? Is it phone dependent? I have an older 11 pro max, so no ProRes but playing around with it I noticed the auto white balance displaying the kelvin including the tint setting. Would this transfer over to the pocket camera 4K. For those of us that can’t afford a colour meter might be a useful tool for setup lighting, especially bi colour that don’t always match. If so this is a very useful tool even if I never shoot any footage with it.
Dop16mm on the other forum

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 6:39 am

They don’t match. Get Adam Wilt‘s Cine Meter II instead.
Not free, but worth every cent.

carlomacchiavello

BMD Camera App

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 10:11 am

Uli Plank wrote:They don’t match. Get Adam Wilt‘s Cine Meter II instead.
Not free, but worth every cent.
I have it +1

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 3:26 pm

Skazmi wrote: I have an Iphone 13 pro max, which means i have no chance of shooting log with this app

when i saw a real log curve i will be happy to use it.
I had filmic pro also, and their log is simpler contrast / saturation curve restored from their lut, but where i had more dinamic range in photo, i never had same dinamic range in video with log, what is in camera signal in highlights in photo is not recoverable in shoot, same dr in highlights, a bit more in shadow.
i not think i buy i15pro only for log.
we just had 10 bit rec also in prores, is enough, i hope to have in future ability to disable sharpening in post of video instead of log, but this an apple limits in sdk, they should enable ability to control it by app

Iain Anderson

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 2:10 pm

Log on the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max does disable sharpening. With the BM Camera app, you don't need to shoot ProRes to use Log.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/log-o ... g-upgrade/

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 3:20 pm

Thanks for your efforts, Iain. Interesting comments about using the external SSD. My iPhone 14 Pro has 1 TB of internal storage which I ordered to support ProRes video recording as a C or D camera. It does look practical and useful.

Apple should have done the right thing at least by the time they released the iPhone 13, but it took the EU to force this much-needed upgrade. Thankfully Apple has taken full advantage of the USB-C spec, at least on the Pro models, rather than cripple it intentionally. No respect for Tim Cook’s reign.
Rick Lang

Aaron Green

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 8:43 pm

Has anyone tried shooting Log with the BMC app? I got my 15 Pro Max today and I’m seeing the option for ProRes Log in Apples menu. I can’t find the option for Log in the BMC app.
I’m on version 1.0.1

rick.lang

BMD Camera App

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 9:14 pm

On the iPhone 14 Pro using Camera, I see ProRes but can only assume this is always 10bit 422. Recording in ProRes HDR. No Log setting AFAIK. Actually hate the interface that hides the details since only dummies buy iPhones, eh?

The BMCAMAP provides many of those details with usually more choices. However I don’t see a reference to Log recording.
Rick Lang

joeyciccoline

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Yeah, it's my understanding that log only works on the 15 pro and pro max, and won't be an option on the 14 pro. That being said, I can't get the option to show up on my 15 pro either.

I'd also love to know where to get the Apple Log LUT.

joeyciccoline

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 9:36 pm

Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app gave me the log option. I think it had stored info about what phone it was on from my old phone and transferred that over when setting up the new one.

Aaron Green

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 9:52 pm

joeyciccoline wrote:Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app gave me the log option. I think it had stored info about what phone it was on from my old phone and transferred that over when setting up the new one.

Thanks!

chris_moore

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Using the BMD Cam app on an iPhone 15 Pro - anyone finding that the apparent exposure is brighter than the actual exposure when filming in log?

The histogram shows the exposure correctly for the actual image recorded but the image on the screen while recording appears brighter/over-exposed.

Aaron Green

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 10:49 pm

chris_moore wrote:Using the BMD Cam app on an iPhone 15 Pro - anyone finding that the apparent exposure is brighter than the actual exposure when filming in log?

The histogram shows the exposure correctly for the actual image recorded but the image on the screen while recording appears brighter/over-exposed.

Same here. I’m looking around for a LUT to download and see if it looks right.

Iain Anderson

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:06 am

If you use Apple's default Camera app, it actually uses ProRes 422 HQ — hence the truly huge file sizes.

I can also confirm that Log video sometimes looks overexposed in the Blackmagic Cam app, no matter which LUT you try to add to it, or even none at all. It seems that this may be a bug; at least some of the time it's not actually recording in Log. I found that some HEVC clips I'd recorded when in Log mode were actually just 8-bit rather than 10-bit. If you toggle a few settings around it will get back to its washed-out normal look, but the LUTs I've tried don't seem to work as I'd expect. It looks as if perhaps there's a lower-level Apple log transform being performed before further transforms happen? Anyway, it's a bit buggy for now.

One very handy thing I've found is to create a new Shortcut that launches Blackmagic Cam, then assign that to the Action Button.

I hope external SSD support is coming soon, as it would be great to be able to record other formats than ProRes HQ direct to SSD. Right now, the easiest way to avoid using the camera roll is to periodically copy from the internal Files storage to an external drive, then plug that into your computer, but if I could set up a way for this to happen automatically, it would be hugely useful.

Lastly, the data rate of HEVC is just too low, at 23Mbps for 4K. It would be great to be able to increase that without having to go all the way to ProRes, but it may be a hardware limitation.
Last edited by Iain Anderson on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron Green

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:20 am

Iain Anderson wrote:If you use Apple's default Camera app, it actually uses ProRes 422 HQ — hence the truly huge file sizes.

I can also confirm that Log video sometimes looks overexposed in the Blackmagic Cam app, no matter which LUT you try to add to it, or even none at all. It seems that this is a bug — if it's overexposed, it's not actually recording in Log. I found that some clips I'd recorded when in Log mode were actually just 8-bit Rec. 709 instead. If you toggle a few settings around it will get back to its washed-out normal look, but the LUTs I've tried don't seem to work as I'd expect.

One very handy thing I've found is to create a new Shortcut that launches Blackmagic Cam, then assign that to the Action Button.

I hope external SSD support is coming soon, as it would be great to be able to record other formats than ProRes HQ direct to SSD. Right now, the easiest way to avoid using the camera roll is to periodically copy from the internal Files storage to an external drive, then plug that into your computer, but if I could set up a way for this to happen automatically, it would be hugely useful.

Are you transforming the Apple Log footage in Resolve? I haven’t tried yet but I’m wondering if there’s an option to convert to Rec 709 in a color space transform node.

joeyciccoline

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:24 am

Here's what I've found after some initial tests...

The built in camera app will give you unusable garbage in log. The BMD app, using full manual control, does quite well.

Things do often blow out when they shouldn't in the BMD app as the previous post said.

It would be great if the histogram could recognize Apple Log properly. Right now the top and bottom of the limits are in some undetermined point and the color channel peaking indicators don't work. It appears that the display lut doesn't effect the histogram, so that's good.

Resolve has Apple Log support in the Color Space Transform (and in other tools, I believe). I used that to generate a lut to use for previewing in the app. I'm not sure it's 100% accurate, but it's good enough.

For some reason with manual controls I can't bring the exposure down enough for shooting towards the sun in late afternoon. I wonder if Apple is doing some extra magic in their HDR processing. Either way, you need an ND filter for anything in any kind of daylight that you want at 180° shutter. With the fixed aperture you're always getting a ton of light coming in.

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:31 am

Remember shooting BMCAMAP in Rec.2020 will help control the exposure and those pesky zebras may go away.
Rick Lang

Iain Anderson

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:40 am

Aaron Green wrote:Are you transforming the Apple Log footage in Resolve? I haven’t tried yet but I’m wondering if there’s an option to convert to Rec 709 in a color space transform node.

No, I'm using FCP. The Info Inspector, in Settings mode, lets you see if Apple Log has been detected and automatically applied. If Log was recorded correctly by the app, it will have been applied, but I did see some clips from the Camera app which looked overexposed if this correction was applied. Turning it off and manually grading allowed highlight recovery.

Iain Anderson

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:42 am

joeyciccoline wrote:Here's what I've found after some initial tests...

The built in camera app will give you unusable garbage in log. The BMD app, using full manual control, does quite well.

What specific issues did you have with the Camera app? Was it overexposed, overexposed after the Apple Log transform is applied, or something else?

Ken.Rennie

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:54 am

koatimundi wrote:Does BMD Camera really record ProRes even on a basic iPhone 14? It is selectable on the settings but I was wondering if it's even possible to record ProRes on a non-Pro iPhone.

Well, it can record ProRes on an iPad Air 5th Gen (M1, March 2022)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188537&p=983536#p983351
which device was never stated by Apple to be ProRes capable.

That being the case, I suspect that the same will be true for this device’s contemporary iPhone 14, and quite possibly earlier devices.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

joeyciccoline

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 2:44 am

Iain Anderson wrote:What specific issues did you have with the Camera app? Was it overexposed, overexposed after the Apple Log transform is applied, or something else?

Viewing in the app would blow out to white on the highlights prematurely. The actual video file it recorded would have the information intact. This happened with and without a display LUT.

Also, as I mentioned, the top and bottom of the image range is not at the ends of the histogram, so it's hard to know where you are in the exposure.

Iain Anderson

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 4:44 am

joeyciccoline wrote:
Iain Anderson wrote:What specific issues did you have with the Camera app? Was it overexposed, overexposed after the Apple Log transform is applied, or something else?

Viewing in the app would blow out to white on the highlights prematurely. The actual video file it recorded would have the information intact. This happened with and without a display LUT.

Also, as I mentioned, the top and bottom of the image range is not at the ends of the histogram, so it's hard to know where you are in the exposure.

Ah, there might be some confusion. I meant the Apple Camera app (no histogram, no display LUT), which has looked OK to me. The BM Camera app certainly has some display issues at the moment.

Here are two short Apple Camera clips (ProRes HQ Log and HEVC HDR) if you want to experiment: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjJYzu8MFPpZgcR9nl0 ... w?e=Xo4Soh

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 10:49 am

Ken.Rennie wrote:

Well, it can record ProRes on an iPad Air 5th Gen (M1, March 2022)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188537&p=983536#p983351
which device was never stated by Apple to be ProRes capable.

That being the case, I suspect that the same will be true for this device’s contemporary iPhone 14, and quite possibly earlier devices.

I can record Prores up to 444 on my Iphone 13 Pro Max, not sure about older ones.
Johannes

joeyciccoline

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 1:03 pm

Iain Anderson wrote:Ah, there might be some confusion. I meant the Apple Camera app (no histogram, no display LUT), which has looked OK to me. The BM Camera app certainly has some display issues at the moment.

Oh yeah, no display issue in the built in app, but just the auto-exposure + log was really bad for me, at least in tricky outdoor lighting situations.

sturmen

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 1:24 pm

joeyciccoline wrote:Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app gave me the log option. I think it had stored info about what phone it was on from my old phone and transferred that over when setting up the new one.

Thanks, this "unlocked" log recording for me on my new iPhone!
MacBook Pro, 16", M1 Max 64GB
Next

Return to Cinematography