BMCC6K Facts and Findings

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WahWay

Re: BMCC6K Facts and Findings

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 9:36 am

Some reviewers are saying the P6K FF true native ISO is 800 and 1250.

I recall someone mentioned years ago the Ursa Mini 4.6k true ISO is 1000

From sample comparison the UMP12k at ISO 800 looks like UMP G2 at ISO 1000 :?:

RubenS89

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 12:43 pm

Define 'true native ISO'? I think they advise ISO 400 because in a balanced scene you are capturing equal stops below and above middle gray. SO changing ISO is just deciding where you want the stops to be relative to middle gray.

Someone else on this forum also mentioned this: an easy way for yourself to understand this better is to set your camera to ISO 100, expose your camera just before clipping and start raising the ISO to 1000. At that point you're still not clipping, so essentially what you've done is just move the total amount of stops further above middle gray. And a result is you have more stops to capture highlights and less for the darker areas.

Poozon

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 6:30 pm

housejacket wrote:My M1 laptop runs Gryoflow and the OFX plugin just fine…just feels like the OFX plugin needs work. Seems like it’s missing an entire panel of adjustments (for instance, there are specific rolling shutter adjustments in the standalone app, but none in the OFX plugin, seems odd).

I can live with this. These are minor annoyances. The most important thing is that it does stabilize videos. And this is one of the reasons why I use Blackmagic cameras.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 7:36 pm

RubenS89 wrote:Define 'true native ISO'? I think they advise ISO 400 because in a balanced scene you are capturing equal stops below and above middle gray. SO changing ISO is just deciding where you want the stops to be relative to middle gray.

Someone else on this forum also mentioned this: an easy way for yourself to understand this better is to set your camera to ISO 100, expose your camera just before clipping and start raising the ISO to 1000. At that point you're still not clipping, so essentially what you've done is just move the total amount of stops further above middle gray. And a result is you have more stops to capture highlights and less for the darker areas.
No, with new gen5 also contrast are equal, but only change is in the middle. The dr is the same, different distribution.
Set exposure 400 iso a bit clip, go down to 100 iso, you continue to clip, in the same way.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

kevin_p

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 7:23 am

Maybe someone can help me with this. I stumbled upon a video on youtube comparing the new BMCC6K vs the S5IIX in Braw

How is there such a large discrepancy in noise between the two? Both are using BRAW and both share the same sensor afaik. If the noise is really that bad in the BMCC6K that is alarming.

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am

I'd expect the S5IIX to have a lot of pre-filtering in low light, just like the Sonys, while the BMCC6 has minimal filtering. You can't judge the loss of detail to be expected on YT.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

kevin_p

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 am

Uli Plank wrote:Re: BMCC6K Facts and Findings
by Uli Plank » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am

I'd expect the S5IIX to have a lot of pre-filtering in low light, just like the Sonys, while the BMCC6 has minimal filtering. You can't judge the loss of detail to be expected on YT.

Completely agree, but both were shot in BRAW so I would assume the pre-filtering to be at a minimum. I also wonder if it is firmware related, as someone posted a similar problem https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193304.

Henchman

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 4:25 pm

kevin_p wrote:Maybe someone can help me with this. I stumbled upon a video on youtube comparing the new BMCC6K vs the S5IIX in Braw

How is there such a large discrepancy in noise between the two? Both are using BRAW and both share the same sensor afaik. If the noise is really that bad in the BMCC6K that is alarming.

Yes, I've been shooting braw with the s1h. And the low light performance is fantastic.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Alex Mitchell

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 4:59 am

kevin_p wrote:How is there such a large discrepancy in noise between the two? Both are using BRAW and both share the same sensor afaik. If the noise is really that bad in the BMCC6K that is alarming.

No offence but it drives me insane that people think like this. Camera design isn't like Lego! You don't just slap parts together and get the exact same results. There's a lot of signal processing and artistic ambition that goes in to it.

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 8:47 am

Yeah, my best guess would be that there's something in the readout electronics/shielding (electronic interference?) that introduces a ton of noise.

Lexicon

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 12:13 am

Review by Dean Xu & Vinny Saenz (USA)

WahWay

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:24 am

The 6kFF auto white balance is way off inaccurate and balance too warm. This need fixing.

adleppard

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 5:03 pm

Watch out with the new Tilta BMCC6K full cage. I couldn't center mount either of my SmallRig baseplates due to screw placement, so purchased the Tilta 15mm LWS Dual Baseplate to utilise the integrated Arca plate in the cage. It doesn't fit! The spacing is too tight. Struggling to find a viable option to rig the camera before my next shoot!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/an9in5srr13xf0873oolm/h?rlkey=cez1cqa60ul0vgdp6g2w91ptj&dl=0

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:04 pm

Have you notified Tilta about the incompatibility of the two Tilta components? I’d be upset about this. Does SmallRig have a cage that will work?
Rick Lang

housejacket

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:26 pm

rick.lang wrote:Have you notified Tilta about the incompatibility of the two Tilta components? I’d be upset about this. Does SmallRig have a cage that will work?
The Smallrig 6k Pro Advanced cage 3517 works great with a small bit of fitting (drilling out a thread or two from the top screw hole so it sits flush). If you don’t need to mount a handle on top, no fitting is required.

adleppard

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:Have you notified Tilta about the incompatibility of the two Tilta components? I’d be upset about this. Does SmallRig have a cage that will work?
I’ve reached out but am awaiting a response. Tilta are currently the only manufacturers of a cage specifically for the BMCC6K and I believe I’m one of the first to get it, as it’s been on pre-order for a while. At present, I’ve installed an Arca plate TO the cage, but it just lifts the whole camera too high to mount my matte box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:37 pm

Best of luck to you getting Tilta to quickly address their component incompatibility. Hope you have a Plan B. Perhaps you can forgo the matte box for the next shoot or clamp the matte box to the lens and support it with a lens support that extends high enough such as the SLR Magic universal lens support.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:54 pm

I’m very happy with my Mid49 cage for the 6kFF.
Everything feels solid and sturdy. Did a 3 day studio shoot with it and it held up great.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Kris Limbach

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 5:39 am

I can also report I m very happy with the 8Sinn half cage. Good built quality, and handy mounting positions for everything. Will post some fotos soon

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 6:57 am

adleppard wrote:Tilta are currently the only manufacturers of a cage specifically for the BMCC6K and I believe I’m one of the first to get it, as it’s been on pre-order for a while. At present, I’ve installed an Arca plate TO the cage, but it just lifts the whole camera too high to mount my matte box.

Mid49. They were the first.

They do Arca too.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

adleppard

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 8:24 am

John Brawley wrote:
adleppard wrote:Tilta are currently the only manufacturers of a cage specifically for the BMCC6K and I believe I’m one of the first to get it, as it’s been on pre-order for a while. At present, I’ve installed an Arca plate TO the cage, but it just lifts the whole camera too high to mount my matte box.

They do Arca too.

JB
Got it! I meant to say full cage, though I’m not sure the Mid49 is available here in the UK anyway. I bought a half-cage for my BMPCC4K and not having a full cage was my biggest regret the whole time I used it.

WahWay

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 9:18 am

adleppard wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

They do Arca too.

JB
Got it! I meant to say full cage, though I’m not sure the Mid49 is available here in the UK anyway. I bought a half-cage for my BMPCC4K and not having a full cage was my biggest regret the whole time I used it.

Mid49 cages are available from CVP but you are hit with taxes.

Lexicon

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm

"Here is our 1st shoot with the new fullframe Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K where we have a look at anamorphic and spherical lenses, skin tones, RAW (Log) footage and gradings, different sensor-readouts and more." (slashcam, Germany)

adleppard

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:24 pm

adleppard wrote:Watch out with the new Tilta BMCC6K full cage. I couldn't center mount either of my SmallRig baseplates due to screw placement, so purchased the Tilta 15mm LWS Dual Baseplate to utilise the integrated Arca plate in the cage. It doesn't fit! The spacing is too tight. Struggling to find a viable option to rig the camera before my next shoot!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/an9in5srr13xf0873oolm/h?rlkey=cez1cqa60ul0vgdp6g2w91ptj&dl=0

Update: As per someone's suggestion on FB, I purchased the "Tilta 15mm LWS Baseplate Type VI" and fortunately that one fits the cage. So, I suggest anyone going the Tilta cage route purchasing that along with it. Thanks for your help :)

Kris Limbach

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 6:33 pm

to keep the threads a bit in order I posted some pics of the 8 sinn cage in the cage thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192655#p1022391
Last edited by Kris Limbach on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Langdon

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:29 pm

Some more 'facts and findings'...

I did a corporate cyc shoot with the 6kFF as the A Cam. I ran a wireless HDMI to a client monitor.
I utilized the Mid49 Cage as well.
Thoughts:
- The HDMI is pretty laggy, as my wireless units were near-0 latency. I know that's common with HDMI, AND it worked fine for the client, but still-- noticeable latency.
- The Cage worked great and held the rig together really well.

I've also tried several times to rig the 6kFF up with all sorts of things and... it's just awkward. Like it works with a cage and the components, but I'd rather utilize an Ursa Mini body than rig a BMD pocket-style body with a v-mount, lens support, wireless video, monitor.

I think the 6k FF, at least for me, is best suited for simple lens+camera setups and semi-rigged shoots with a few components added.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 9:47 pm

Adam, in terms of rigging, I agree about keeping it relatively simple for my BMPCC4K compared to my UM4.6K that… well… is impressive with all the bits and pieces and wires of a full studio rig.

As for the lag, I have noticed my HDMI to the BMVA12G7 results in a couple of frames delayed but nothing serious. Mind you I don’t have a focus puller for critical shots that might show a problem. The BMVA12G7 is usable for viewing the shot.
Rick Lang

housejacket

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 9:54 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Some more 'facts and findings'...

I did a corporate cyc shoot with the 6kFF as the A Cam. I ran a wireless HDMI to a client monitor.
Thoughts:
- The HDMI is pretty laggy, as my wireless units were near-0 latency. I know that's common with HDMI, AND it worked fine for the client, but still-- noticeable latency.

I've also tried several times to rig the 6kFF up with all sorts of things and... it's just awkward. Like it works with a cage and the components, but I'd rather utilize an Ursa Mini body than rig a BMD pocket-style body with a v-mount, lens support, wireless video, monitor.

I think the 6k FF, at least for me, is best suited for simple lens+camera setups and semi-rigged shoots with a few components added.
That’s the beauty of the 6k FF (and 6k Pro), it can bare-bones or fully rigged (especially given the wonderfully bright in-built monitor). I’ve got three modular setups for my 6k FF (all with a camera cage):

- Just rails and EVF, internal battery (with option for v-mount on side of top handle)

- Rails, EVF and v-mount on a foldable attachment which acts as a stabilizer for hiking the camera against my chest to view the tilt-out rear monitor, or use the EVF

- Shoukder mount with an Accsoon F-C01 remote follow focus on right handle, remote start/stop on left handle going to a Portkeys LHP5 II monitor.

WahWay

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 5:09 am

Thoughts:

Someone mentioned about a preference of shooting "naked" with this camera over rigging. I haven't tried going commando on a shoot :lol:

Kris Limbach

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 11:02 am

housejacket wrote:

- Just rails and EVF, internal battery (with option for v-mount on side of top handle)

- Rails, EVF and v-mount on a foldable attachment which acts as a stabilizer for hiking the camera against my chest to view the tilt-out rear monitor, or use the EVF

- Shoukder mount with an Accsoon F-C01 remote follow focus on right handle, remote start/stop on left handle going to a Portkeys LHP5 II monitor.

What kind of v-mount plate are you using for that? And where exactly do you put it on the side of the top handle?

For my purposes a "half rigged" way of shooting is preferable, so till now it looks all fantastic to me. I fully understand that when you need a full rig with sdi outs and monitors and and and it can get convoluted and weird.

Anyone knows what the hdmi output is on that camera? It is hard to find information about the actual format and bit depth. Only thing I found out is that it is just HD resolution which is a bit of a bummer.

housejacket

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 1:38 pm

For the top handle battery mount (which I don’t use frequently), I’m using a Tilta mini v-mount plate on the side of a Smallrig 1955 handle (unscrew the locating pins on the Tilta mini v-mount plate).

For the main battery mount, I’m using a Neewer adjustable mount, but I replaced the actual v-mount part with a Sirui plate. Here’s the Neewer part: https://a.co/d/4mykAg3

I have tons of v-mount batteries, but I generally use the Moman Mini 99 with this rig as it has two D-Tap ports and two USB-A ports to power optional accessories if I really rig it up.

Lexicon

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:08 pm

"Based on my personal experience of using lost of other cameras, this camera has slightly better quality than the other cameras that I have used in the past, like the Sony FX3, Panasonic S5, Fujifilm..." (Suyorukun, Japan)

Lexicon

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 6:18 pm

The Mid49 black magic cinema 6k cage.

Lexicon

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 6:21 pm

"This is how I get auto focus on the Black Magic Cinema Camera 6K on the RS3 pro" (Bowen Moreno, Los Angeles, USA)

adleppard

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Interesting new finding for me: using the MC-21 and Canon IS lenses, I’m finding that the IS shifts more unnaturally when introducing any movement, than I’ve experienced when using the lenses with Canon cameras, or BMPCC4K + Speed Booster or BMPCC6K Pro. Similar to the IS performance of Sigma lenses during video use. Anyone else experienced this?

Vitaly

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 10:03 pm

adleppard wrote:Interesting new finding for me: using the MC-21 and Canon IS lenses, I’m finding that the IS shifts more unnaturally when introducing any movement, than I’ve experienced when using the lenses with Canon cameras, or BMPCC4K + Speed Booster or BMPCC6K Pro. Similar to the IS performance of Sigma lenses during video use. Anyone else experienced this?

Try updating the camera firmware. I use the MС-21 with Canon IOS lenses. After the update, stabilization began to work well.
BMCC6K FF and BMPCC4K. Lens: Canon 50mm L 1.2, Canon 16-35mm L 4, Canon 24-105mm L 4, Canon 100mm L 2.8, Carl Zeiss 50 mm 1.4, Sigma 10-18mm 2.8.

housejacket

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 10:11 pm

Vitaly wrote:
adleppard wrote:Interesting new finding for me: using the MC-21 and Canon IS lenses, I’m finding that the IS shifts more unnaturally when introducing any movement, than I’ve experienced when using the lenses with Canon cameras, or BMPCC4K + Speed Booster or BMPCC6K Pro. Similar to the IS performance of Sigma lenses during video use. Anyone else experienced this?

Try updating the camera firmware. I use the MС-21 with Canon IOS lenses. After the update, stabilization began to work well.
Agreed. The firmware of my BMCC6k out-of-the-box didn’t work with the MC-21 and IS lenses. After updating the camera, everything worked—but I haven’t done a typical shoot with the 70-200 II I usually use as my A cam lens, so I’m not sure on IS nuances right now.

adleppard

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 pm

Vitaly wrote:

Thanks! The camera and adapter are both on the latest versions.

Lexicon

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 5:20 am

Although RED V-Raptor has better IQ overall, Blackmagic is a sleeping giant ($2,500 vs $25,000)

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 8:22 am

Lexicon wrote:Although RED V-Raptor has better IQ overall, Blackmagic is a sleeping giant ($2,500 vs $25,000)

In terms of IQ and DR they look super close. Cam A had some pretty noticible micro jitters Vs. Cam b, if that’s a function of the shutter integration time or simply mass it’s hard to say.

Good Luck

John Paines

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Lexicon wrote:Although RED V-Raptor has better IQ overall, Blackmagic is a sleeping giant ($2,500 vs $25,000)

You can't hope to judge "IQ" from such comparisons, even if everyone can agree on what "IQ" is. Even forgetting it's youtube, you have no idea what you're looking at. As in, what happened in post? How was each transformed? What transforms were used? Do these transforms operate on the footage in an identical manner? Were the shots exposed identically? Same lens? Same f-stop? Can the "worse" one be graded so as to be indistinguishable from the "better" one?

See the problem here?

Lexicon

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

Nice affordable cinema combo this BMCC FF 6K together with the NiSi Athena primes.

Be Yourself, a short film shot on BMCC 6K FF by Suyoru (DIN Films, Japan), using NiSi Athena prime lenses, DJI RS3 Pro stabilizer, Atomos Ninja V monitor, NiSi ND filers. Drone shots done with DJI Mavic 3 Cine.

Last edited by Lexicon on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lexicon

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Behind the Scenes: Be Yourself, a cinematic short film with BMCC FF 6K and NiSi Athena primes.

?

WahWay

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 5:45 am

adleppard wrote:
Vitaly wrote:

Thanks! The camera and adapter are both on the latest versions.

How can I check the Sigma MC-21 adapter is the latest firmware version?

Omar Mohammad

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 9:08 am

WahWay wrote:
How can I check the Sigma MC-21 adapter is the latest firmware version?

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/support ... mount=ef-l

It seems you'll need Sigma usb dock, or a L-mount camera body. I haven't done it myself yet, because I don't have either.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/usb-dock-ud-01-ud-11
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Lexicon

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 5:19 pm

BMCC 6K vs Sony Burano 8.6K - Is The Burano Really Worth 10X More? (OBP, UK)

WahWay

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 pm

Shooting in low light yes, maybe 50 times

Lexicon

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 5:10 am

BMCC 6K Full frame with 7Artisans 85mm T2 Spectrum (L mount), B-raw (Juraj Filipeje, Slovakia)

The author of this video made a mistake and wrote 'pocket' cinema camera. But it is the FF 6K cinema camera. Because what he wrote, at the beginning I thought it was the pocket but it didn't make sense to me because the images were just too good, with that 3D pop out effect that only high end cinema cameras have. Then I thought, maybe the pocket was paired with a very high quality lens but it turned out it was a $460 US cinema vintage lens (7Artisans 85mm T2). Then I realized he probably didn't know that the new FF L mount is not called 'pocket' anymore. This small mistake sort of proved to me that the IQ of the 6K FF is something real and not the product of any sort of bias in my mind.

Lexicon

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:30 pm

Camera comparison: Blackmagic 6K vs Red Komodo vs Panasonic S5 Mark 2 (Mark Kuczewski, That Camera Nerd, UK)

"In this video, we're putting three top-notch cameras head-to-head to see which one reigns supreme.

First in the ring is the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K. With its stunning full-frame capabilities and shooting prowess up to 6K resolution, paired with the new L mount and internal Blackmagic RAW, it's a force to be reckoned with.

The next contender, the Red Komodo, boasting a super 35mm sensor and the ability to shoot in breathtaking 6K using internal RED RAW. Equipped with Canon's RF mount, it's ready to deliver cinematic excellence.

Last but certainly not least, we have Panasonic's Lumix S5 Mark 2, offering 6K 420 and 4K 422 recording. This full-frame marvel utilizes the L mount and comes packed with internal image stabilization and impressive autofocus capabilities."

Lexicon

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:24 pm

A 'future classic'

"I bet you, in a couple of years, maybe five years or so, we are going to look back at this camera as a pivotal moment, as many people look back now to the Sigma fp or the original BM Pocket; like a really inexpensive high image quality cinema camera (...) So even though I was an early dismisser, the sensor and color science is just so dam nice on this thing, and having FF, L mount... as I say, do not dismiss this thing, this camera is truly going to be remembered as a classic cinema camera." (Patrick Tomasso, Canada)

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography