Blackmagic Camera App - Feature Requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rui Branquinho

Re: Blackmagic Camera App features request

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 9:38 pm

Why can't the Iris F-stop be changed?
I think it's the only interface feature missing to have a fully professional set of controls in the app.
Even if we can simulate the same result operating ISO and shutter speed, it is much more intuitive to do it in the Iris/Aperture control. Not to mention the the effect it has in the depth of field.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K | Eizo CG2700X
macOS Sonoma | iMac 2020 | Intel i9 | Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB | 64GB RAM

Mike Los

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 12:13 am

Rui Branquinho wrote:Did some tests today and got inconsistent results on Frame Rate Mode, analyzing the clips with Media Info.
Without changing anything else, some shots resulted Constant and others Variable.
Of course, we would love to have a constantly Constant outcome on every recorded clip.
Any ideas on why?

Just a suggestion if you're using an iPhone. But do you have auto fps set to on in the phones camera settings. If it is try turning it off and testing again.

Howard Roll

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 12:21 am

Rui Branquinho wrote:Why can't the Iris F-stop be changed?

Because iPhones don't have variable apertures.

Good Luck

joe_scotto

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 1:36 am

SeldomSeenKid wrote:An option to overlay the screen guides to the HDMI clean feed would be great. I don't trust the guides on my cheap field monitor.

I second this along with the fact that HDMI clean feed is very hit or miss. It seems that no matter what your framerate is set to, the phone will always output at 3840x2160 59.94hz. This is an issue with certain adapters where you'll always get a black screen. I've tried many cables and it's just not consistent at all, 1.4, 2.0, different dongles and docks. HDMI Clean Feed should be at the framerate and resolution you're set to, not a constant 59.94 @ UHD.

It would also be nice to have a "fall back" option where when the "HDMI Clean Feed" setting is disabled, it just defaults to the iOS screen mirroring feature that seems to work on any type of display.

charliesaigon

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 8:37 am

Enlarged histogram option. Tap to pop-out an enlarged version. It should work the same way the audio meters do. Tap to make the enlargement pop-out, tap again to hide the enlargement.

I would also prefer with both audio meters and the histogram, when enlarged, the small version below goes away.

IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4496.jpeg (157.17 KiB) Viewed 47249 times

SeldomSeenKid

PostWed Sep 27, 2023 7:26 am

joe_scotto wrote:It would also be nice to have a "fall back" option where when the "HDMI Clean Feed" setting is disabled, it just defaults to the iOS screen mirroring feature that seems to work on any type of display.

+1 This is how I use the Cinema P3 app with my external monitor and it shouldn't be to hard to implement. Just mirror the iOS screen if clean feed is switched off.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Thecreator82

PostWed Sep 27, 2023 8:18 am

Thanks to rick.lang e ANONIMNIQ

Frank Engel

PostWed Sep 27, 2023 9:31 am

It would be nice if there were an option to do the file transfers locally over WiFi to a computer without funneling it through any Cloud or other internet service.

For example, set a password and a directory in Resolve to receive files from the app and point the phone to it, so that the camera app gives the option to transfer directly to Resolve the way it does right now to the Cloud, storing it directly on a nearby computer, ready to go.

As long as an encrypted protocol is used and a password can be set, this would overcome any security concerns over footage needing to go across the internet, and make it useful in situations in which internet access is not available, plus it would eliminate the extra overhead of needing to go across the internet only to bring it back across the internet again to get it onto the computer.

While I recognize that the whole "cloud" thing may be useful to some, to me it is worthless, while the ability to do what is basically wireless tethered shooting locally could be interesting.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Sep 27, 2023 12:36 pm

+1 - though the password stuff sounds like unnecessary complexity to me. If one wants an extra level of security one can easily set up a VPN, right?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Frank Engel

PostSun Oct 01, 2023 6:05 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:+1 - though the password stuff sounds like unnecessary complexity to me. If one wants an extra level of security one can easily set up a VPN, right?

If you don't want a password don't set one, but for some of us the feature may as well not exist without one, and it should be fairly trivial to support.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Oct 01, 2023 8:39 pm

You want security right? Making a VPN is more secure than just a password.

It’s fine if they add a password but you can already get security without it.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Thomas Smet

PostMon Oct 02, 2023 6:16 am

Great start for the app. Here are a few of my suggestions.

1. Ability to lock shutter speed but still have auto ISO. This is helpful when using a ND filter because we essentially have auto exposure where we know the ND is more or less nailing exposure when the ISO no longer rises.

2. A shutter limit or range of accepted values would be really nice as well. For example some may be ok with 1/24th but never want it to go above 1/48th. Some may be ok going up to a limit like 1/200th or so. Personally I think it should always be 1/48th for 24p but it's still nice to have the Apple system handling what the exposure should be.

3. We need better manual exposure tools for Apple log. Right now false color and Zebras are pretty much useless with Apple log. All the important values for Apple log fall in the large light gray color for the false color so it really does us no good. We should have the ability to customize the false color to fit our needs. Zebras goign down to 50% and even allowing us to set multiple zebras we can tap on buttons to swap between them could be very handle. For example set one to middle gray which is 49% for Apple log then set one for 90% reflected which is about 68%. Right now we have one zebra and it only goes down to 75%. At a normal ISO range of 55-400 Apple log also seems to clip around 75% making pretty much any of the current zebras rather useless.

4. The smooth scrolling wheels for some settings are nice but can also be rather frustrating when trying to dial in an exact amount. White knuckling the phone screen trying and hoping to move the wheels just enough to hit an exact number is pretty much impossible. Having the option to at least tap the wheel to manually enter a number would be nice. In particular when we use a light meter it's sometimes hard to adjust the ISO to the exact number we use with the light meter. If I'm measuring for ISO 200 for example it's really hard to hit an ISO of exactly 200 on the app.

5. Why is the camera display super bright compared to what we shoot? The display seems very off when shooting. Then when we watch a recorded video in the app it suddenly looks more precise. It's really tough to judge the display. I have heard from others with the same issue loading luts. That the display just isn't accurate compared to what the video actually looks like.

kylinblue

PostTue Oct 03, 2023 5:11 pm

Besides the currently known issues such as overexposed monitoring when using stabilization with log, and Apple Log LUT showing incorrect levels, there are two items I'd like to mention:

No partial auto exposure, such as locking shutter angle with ISO floating. I asked Filmic support about it earlier this year and they told me it's API on Apple side isn't allowing them to implement it. Any luck with BM dev team?

No flashlight option. This is a handy feature when you are shooting with minimal gear, and over at Filmic Pro they've got that figured out.

Edit: Mavis Pro Camera App appears to have the locked shutter/floating ISO figured out but the company have moved past continuing the project.

Coasterghost

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 12:02 pm

I would like to see the ability to disable making proxies in real time when you record, and to be given the ability to encode proxies in post after you record, if it’s an option in the media browser.
Last edited by Coasterghost on Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- James F.

onefilmproductions

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 6:54 pm

Thomas Smet wrote:5. Why is the camera display super bright compared to what we shoot? The display seems very off when shooting. Then when we watch a recorded video in the app it suddenly looks more precise. It's really tough to judge the display. I have heard from others with the same issue loading luts. That the display just isn't accurate compared to what the video actually looks like.

THIS is the biggest issue for me. The only work around is an external monitor. But this isn't an acceptable solution! The other issue is the frame rates are variable. There will be drift between multiple cameras and external audio.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 7:58 am

kylinblue wrote:Besides the currently known issues such as overexposed monitoring when using stabilization with log, and Apple Log LUT showing incorrect levels, there are two items I'd like to mention:

No partial auto exposure, such as locking shutter angle with ISO floating. I asked Filmic support about it earlier this year and they told me it's API on Apple side isn't allowing them to implement it. Any luck with BM dev team?

You can lock the shutter and have manual ISO.
With the Apple API the Auto ISO requires Auto shutter too.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 7:59 am

Coasterghost wrote:I would like to see the ability to disable making proxies in realtime when you record, and go be given the ability to encode proxies in post after you record, if it’s an option in the media browser.

What is the workflow that drives this request?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 8:00 am

joe_scotto wrote:
SeldomSeenKid wrote:An option to overlay the screen guides to the HDMI clean feed would be great. I don't trust the guides on my cheap field monitor.

I second this along with the fact that HDMI clean feed is very hit or miss. It seems that no matter what your framerate is set to, the phone will always output at 3840x2160 59.94hz. This is an issue with certain adapters where you'll always get a black screen. I've tried many cables and it's just not consistent at all, 1.4, 2.0, different dongles and docks. HDMI Clean Feed should be at the framerate and resolution you're set to, not a constant 59.94 @ UHD.

It would also be nice to have a "fall back" option where when the "HDMI Clean Feed" setting is disabled, it just defaults to the iOS screen mirroring feature that seems to work on any type of display.

Are you using the Apple certified adapters... from the Apple Store?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 8:02 am

BoxMan_Actual wrote:I'd love to see the ability to use the front-facing camera! I've searched the app but not found the option. Maybe it's hidden? Anyone find that option?

Which model iPhone?
try Camera menu, select lens, then Front.

oliwend

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 8:07 am

Coasterghost wrote:I would like to see the ability to disable making proxies in realtime when you record, and go be given the ability to encode proxies in post after you record, if it’s an option in the media browser.

+1
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

oliwend

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 8:09 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:With the Apple API the Auto ISO requires Auto shutter too.

That’s a shame…
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 8:54 am

Is there any way to bring log/lut workflows to the iPhone 14 Pro/Max also with IOS 17? Or is it just a hardware limitation? It would be nice to have the Video/Extended/Film settings replicated from the cameras, with the luts preloaded too. I've just shot a pilot in Sicily and the 15 wasn't available, we were just in time to shoot with the app, which worked wonderfully. I have a window to swap out the 14 for the 15, so it would be good to know.

joe_scotto

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 12:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
joe_scotto wrote:

Are you using the Apple certified adapters... from the Apple Store?

Yes, the USB-C Apple AV Adapter is one I’ve tried and it’s hit or miss. In addition I’ve tried numerous ones from Amazon and Anker, along with USB-C to HDMI cables. None of them are consistent and often result in a black screen but will mirror the rest of iOS just fine. The app should have an option to just mirror as a fallback.

joe_scotto

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 12:52 pm

I would also very like to see this as an option. I have 0 use for in-camera proxies because I’m already recording ProRes which edits just fine on my machine.

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 1:56 pm

A brief aside: accidentally shot a couple of ProRes HDR videos last week with Apple Photos app on the iPhone 14 Pro. I selected 4K 30 fps, but the recordings are both 27.97 fps. A bit infuriating that Apple follows the lead of many dominant camera manufacturers, such as Canon and Nikon, and tells you’re recording 30 gps but insists on recording 29.97.

Give me BMCAMAP any day (except last week since I was supposed to be shooting stills).
Rick Lang

Joe Shapiro

Blackmagic Camera App features request

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 2:16 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:

Hi Peter
I’m in Scotland right now - mostly on vacation - and have been using the bmcam app. I like it very much in general. However, I’ve had a hard time getting my footage off the phone.

Ideally I think I’d like offloading to be handled by iCloud sync. To this end I’ve asked the app to also save footage in my Photos library. But perhaps it would be better to just save to Files and navigate to a place in iCloud? Say Movies/Blackmagic Camera App?

Not sure if I’d want proxies or not at that point. Mostly I don’t want my iPhone storage to max out which is what’s happening now. Still want to see all my takes in the app of course - but don’t want double copies.

Note that when I change the save path all my previous takes disappear from the app. This is quite disconcerting. Is this what you intend? How am I meant to manage the files that are surely still there?
Resolve 18.6.6

Mike Los

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 2:56 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:

Hi Peter
I’m in Scotland right now - mostly on vacation - and have been using the bmcam app. I like it very much in general. However, I’ve had a hard time getting my footage off the phone.

Ideally I think I’d like offloading to be handled by iCloud sync. To this end I’ve asked the app to also save footage in my Photos library. But perhaps it would be better to just save to Files and navigate to a place in iCloud? Say Movies/Blackmagic Camera App?

Not sure if I’d want proxies or not at that point. Mostly I don’t want my iPhone storage to max out which is what’s happening now. Still want to see all my takes in the app of course - but don’t want double copies.

Note that when I change the save path all my previous takes disappear from the app. This is quite disconcerting. Is this what you intend? How am I meant to manage the files that are surely still there?

Why don't you just get an external ssd. Record the footage so it stays in the Blackmagic app if you don't want to record directly to the ssd, then when you're ready connect an external drive, go into files, press and hold the folder with the Blackmagic media and move it to the external ssd. You can delete the proxy folder if you want before you transfer. You can also do this the same way without the ssd and go to a cloud service. You can then delete all the media in the blackmagic folder off your phone to free up space if you feel confident.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 3:30 pm

I have an iPhone 14. As far as I know my port is limited to USB2 speeds.
Resolve 18.6.6

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Yes, Lighting was an interesting feature from a marketing 101 aspect. Invent something ‘new and proprietary’ but hide the fact it’s probably less capable than a real USB 2 interface.
Rick Lang

oliwend

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 3:45 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Hi Peter

Syncing to (any) cloud makes no sense for me when I'm out in the field with low mobile coverage.

I use the Apple Lightning USB3 Cam Adapter to transfer files to an USB stick and then to my MacBook. It's slow but works fine. The USB stick I use has two connectors: USB A and USB C (to fit in my Macbook). Mind that you need lightning power supply for the adapter.

I had no luck with Apple adapter + SSDs, connection was not stable.

kylinblue

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 5:17 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
kylinblue wrote:Besides the currently known issues such as overexposed monitoring when using stabilization with log, and Apple Log LUT showing incorrect levels, there are two items I'd like to mention:

You can lock the shutter and have manual ISO.

Understood, then they are not using standard Apple API.
Please see the YouTube video:

I made a screen cap to demonstrate:
1. locked shutter speed/angle with Auto ISO.
2. 4:3 open gate capture.
Using Mavis Pro Camera App on iPhone 15 Pro max

Coasterghost

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 7:39 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Coasterghost wrote:I would like to see the ability to disable making proxies in real time when you record, and to be given the ability to encode proxies in post after you record, if it’s an option in the media browser.

I don't have a need for proxies and my system can handle ProRes just fine. If I need to send a copy after the fact for instance to someone else, having the additional ability to make proxies in post would be a good alternate. I currently as a mainly one man band, have no need for the collaborative features, nor would I need to send the raw footage to anyone unless it was a client asking in which, I already have 2TB of cloud storage for that very thing.

In my particular use case, I do cover a few multiple day events such as conventions and trade shows yearly in the travel media industry, as well as my other projects, and sometimes being under hectic schedules I can forget some of my gear. During these multiple day events, the space does add up quick and not being able to at times being able to dump the storage after that day does happen. And given the portable SSDs max at 4TB for the solutions that this forum would likely have such as the Samsung T7, if you aren't able to dump the media, the storage can be seen as a premium. I can easily product 12 hours of raw content in 3-4 days by myself without getting secondary camera operators, with the main bulk of it all being done in 3 days.

Also, while the gain can be seen as marginal, it will provide additional recording time. Doing some 422HQ Napkin math:
422HQ Recording time for max 3500GB (rounded up to the nearest mbps)

24FPS ProRes (600Mbps) and Proxy (6Mbps): 720 Minutes
ProRes Size:3240GB Proxy Size:259.2GB Total: 3499.2GB
Minutes added to ProRes without Proxy: 57 Minutes to a total of 777 Minutes at 3496.5GB

30FPS ProRes (709Mbps) and Proxy (7Mbps): 623 Minutes
ProRes Size:3312.803GB Proxy Size:186.9GB Total: 3499.703GB
Minutes added to ProRes without Proxy: 35 Minutes to a total of 658 Minutes at 3498.915GB

60FPS ProRes (1372Mbps) and Proxy (8Mbps): 324 Minutes
ProRes Size: 3333.96GB Proxy Size: 155.52GB Total: 3489.48GB
Minutes added to ProRes without Proxy: 16 Minutes to a total of 340 Minutes at 3498.6GB

When this is scaled down to for example, with ProRes 422, we could see an increase of recording time at 22 to 77 Minutes from the current 422 and Proxy setup. Even if we were to choose too 422LT, we could see an increase of recording time at 93 to 562 Minutes without automatic proxy recordings.

And given how a lot of us will use our favorite apps, such as BM Camera, for things like vacations and family affairs as well, where we are able to run and gun, that savings without proxies can add up quickly.

Overall for my use case: I rarely have the need for proxies and having the ability to toggle it, can give us additional recording time. Additionally, having the ability to do it in post, would allow for us to make them, if needed post while away from our workstations.

Also given in the nature of how users are also reporting that recordings are hit or miss on being CFR or VFR, as I shared in that thread:
Coasterghost wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:As others reported, sometimes it is CFR, but you can't rely on it.

Thinking about this, I wonder if part of the issue is that we don’t have the ability to disable proxies. It could very well be taxing the SoC because it’s technically rendering two videos at once and we all know that H265 can be hungry on a GPU/CPU on resources to encode. The dual encoding in combination with the reporting that Apple is aware of the SoC running hotter than expected, we could be seeing the issue of thermal throttling that is affecting the performance and thusly the frame rate. I think that would explain that shorter clips seem to be at 24fps to generally be CFR,

I’ve been able to consistently get at least with shorter clips, CFR at 24fps and my 30FPS, I tend to generally get 30fps with VFR at 31, but it can vary between 28-31fps. I do think that a 30fps CFR is possible, but would love to see a toggle in the app to disable proxies for if we choose to.
- James F.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 3:26 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:

Hi Peter

You can save to the app, the iPhone photos library, or to files. When you select one, you dont see the others. Nothing is deleted, it's just like a normal file system, you can see one location at a time.

If you use files, use the file app to copy to an external drive.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 3:29 am

joe_scotto wrote:

Are you using the Apple certified adapters... from the Apple Store?[/quote]

Yes, the USB-C Apple AV Adapter is one I’ve tried and it’s hit or miss. In addition I’ve tried numerous ones from Amazon and Anker, along with USB-C to HDMI cables. None of them are consistent and often result in a black screen but will mirror the rest of iOS just fine. The app should have an option to just mirror as a fallback.[/quote]

We have made some improvements in v1.1 but can also say we see different results on Apple vs non Apple adapters so we cant recommend any non Apple at this stage.

Pibeloch

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 5:34 am

I would like the videos to be uploaded to the cloud faster and in the background, from Davinci Resolve the cloud is fast, but from the iPhone it is very slow, there is no difference in WIFI or 5G.

All the best

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm

Are we now able to take stills with the BMCAMAP or is it only for motion video?
Rick Lang

SeldomSeenKid

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 2:59 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have made some improvements in v1.1 but can also say we see different results on Apple vs non Apple adapters so we cant recommend any non Apple at this stage.

I just tryed the new "mirror screen" mode with my non-Apple adapter and it works fine. Thanks a lot for listening & fixing.
I have one more little issue: As soon as I have the HDMI adapter pluged in, I cannot trigger record with the volume button any longer. This is not specific to the BMD app (happens with CinemaP3 too) but maby something that can be fixed.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

joe_scotto

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 4:45 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have made some improvements in v1.1 but can also say we see different results on Apple vs non Apple adapters so we cant recommend any non Apple at this stage.

I just tryed the new "mirror screen" mode with my non-Apple adapter and it works fine. Thanks a lot for listening & fixing.
I have one more little issue: As soon as I have the HDMI adapter pluged in, I cannot trigger record with the volume button any longer. This is not specific to the BMD app (happens with CinemaP3 too) but maby something that can be fixed.

I too am seeing the no volume trigger issue regardless of if HDMI is plugged in or not. The button just seems to not work anymore.

John Sellars

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 8:11 pm

Please add Blackmagic Camera to the iPad Blackmagic Camera Control app (like Filmic Remote).

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-camera-control/id1239292847

Vladimir Kostenko

PostSun Oct 08, 2023 5:40 pm

Would be amazing if gyro data could be recorded and saved in the video files in stabilization off mode for use with programs like Gyroflow later on. This would be an absolute game changer as there is only one app that currently does this on iPhone, but it doesn’t have much professional control as it is more focused on the stabilization aspect. Don’t see why it would not be possible to add this as this type of data takes up close to no extra space and does not require processing power. It feels wrong to have all these amazing sensors on iPhone, and not be taking advantage of a lot of them. Doesn’t mean if we use certain sensors, that we should bake the effect from the data that we get from them into the video file, just log that data to the video file for later use if needed as it basically takes up no space or at least give us the option in settings to save such data.

Also, is it possible to have the option to disable noise reduction and if possible all other image processing?

Will the day ever come where we can shoot open gate full sensor raw video to something like cdng? What is the barrier to being able to do that right now, processing power(wouldn’t it technically require the least amount of processing power as you’re not working on the image at all but rather just saving all the raw data without any processing), read/write speeds, apple restrictions? I believe certain android phones are able to do this nowadays with an app called open camera which also saves the gyro data. My point here being, we use these camera apps to try and get the least processed videos/photos possible for the most flexibility possible. If one wants a straight out of camera finished, amazing result, the stock camera app is already the best for that. So will we ever be able to shoot raw video on iPhones?

One more thing, would it be possible to add an auto ETTR mode?

ANONIMNIQ

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 9:27 am

After the new app update I lost ProRes 4444 on my 13 mini.

MELstudios

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 1:32 pm

4444XQ-
Georgi, yes. A lot of users are complaining about the 4444 codec being removed after update 1.1

It could be for several reasons:

1-) It might come back as a paid feature in the future:
4444 is a format that offers almost uncompressed image quality for advance color grading and filmmaking. The fact that it could be achieved on a phone is incredible. I myself wouldn't mind paying a little money for this feature.

2-) It could be reserved for larger, more capable phones such as iPhone 15 pro max with much more memory and space.

3-) It was removed altogether because it didn't really offer true 4444 uncompressed codec on a phone, so it will be only a film camera feature, not a phone feature.

Now, to expand on number 3, I posted the question of why it was gone. The following quote is from a YouTube Channel. I think it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think:
"...Based on my testings it did not seem to be real 4444, so recording in the codec was not achieving any benefits. Maybe it could come back in a later version if they do figure out a way to record true 4444. But for now it was just a large file with no real benefit over 422 HQ" -TLDR Filmmaker, YouTube-

rick.lang

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 1:46 pm

Also now missing ProRes 444 on the iPhone14 Pro. I shot three very short clips when running through the BMCAMAP options. Was happy to see it but didn’t do any long clips but I thought it was great to see support for 12bit ProRes.
Rick Lang

Mike Los

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 2:28 pm

Respectfully asking the great people at Blackmagic for the ability to turn on or off focus peaking/lines while recording, an image screen crop to eliminate dynamic island in frame on iPhone 15 pros, shorter manual focus scroll with less sensitive scroll settings in general.

Ken.Rennie

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 10:47 pm

+1

Related: per-channel overexposed pixels indication. Depending on where the overexposure occurs (e.g. specular highlights), users may be less concerned than for other areas, such as on a face.

charliesaigon wrote:Enlarged histogram option. Tap to pop-out an enlarged version. It should work the same way the audio meters do. Tap to make the enlargement pop-out, tap again to hide the enlargement.

I would also prefer with both audio meters and the histogram, when enlarged, the small version below goes away.

IMG_4496.jpeg
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

Ken.Rennie

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm

+1

Very good point. John.

John Sellars wrote:Please add Blackmagic Camera to the iPad Blackmagic Camera Control app (like Filmic Remote).

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-camera-control/id1239292847
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:

Ken.Rennie

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 11:07 pm

I can see such a local WiFi Direct connection being a great benefit, even for example from an iPhone doing the filming to an iPad or computer, possibly with its own connected external drive, providing both monitoring and storage.

I do wonder about the technical limitations, specifically bandwidth and Quality of Service. If the latter is an occasional issue, perhaps there could be on-device buffering.

Frank Engel wrote:It would be nice if there were an option to do the file transfers locally over WiFi to a computer without funneling it through any Cloud or other internet service.

For example, set a password and a directory in Resolve to receive files from the app and point the phone to it, so that the camera app gives the option to transfer directly to Resolve the way it does right now to the Cloud, storing it directly on a nearby computer, ready to go.

As long as an encrypted protocol is used and a password can be set, this would overcome any security concerns over footage needing to go across the internet, and make it useful in situations in which internet access is not available, plus it would eliminate the extra overhead of needing to go across the internet only to bring it back across the internet again to get it onto the computer.

While I recognize that the whole "cloud" thing may be useful to some, to me it is worthless, while the ability to do what is basically wireless tethered shooting locally could be interesting.
- -

Stigcrafter

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 1:18 am

MELstudios wrote:4444XQ-
Georgi, yes. A lot of users are complaining about the 4444 codec being removed after update 1.1

It could be for several reasons:

1-) It might come back as a paid feature in the future:
4444 is a format that offers almost uncompressed image quality for advance color grading and filmmaking. The fact that it could be achieved on a phone is incredible. I myself wouldn't mind paying a little money for this feature.

2-) It could be reserved for larger, more capable phones such as iPhone 15 pro max with much more memory and space.

3-) It was removed altogether because it didn't really offer true 4444 uncompressed codec on a phone, so it will be only a film camera feature, not a phone feature.

Now, to expand on number 3, I posted the question of why it was gone. The following quote is from a YouTube Channel. I think it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think:
"...Based on my testings it did not seem to be real 4444, so recording in the codec was not achieving any benefits. Maybe it could come back in a later version if they do figure out a way to record true 4444. But for now it was just a large file with no real benefit over 422 HQ" -TLDR Filmmaker, YouTube-

I'd say 3 is the most likely, as had a related question in a different thread before the update, so I guess the answer was it was not actually beneficial in any way so it got removed.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188558
it dye
https://www.youtube.com/@stigcrafter/

stephengeorg

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 4:49 am

I’d like to add my support for monitoring (and starting/stopping recording) on the Apple Watch. This has been a wildly useful feature for me in Filmic Pro, and having it in the Blackmagic app would be welcomed.

It would also be nice to have choices between the various microphones on the iPhone — Filmic Pro allows you to choose between front, back, and bottom, and they can all sound quite different depending on whether you’re speaking in front of or behind the phone. It would be very nice to have that flexibility.

I’ve used Filmic daily for a year or more, but I own several Blackmagic cameras, so it’s very exciting to see them enter the mobile filmmaking space!

Frank Engel

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 5:16 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You can lock the shutter and have manual ISO.

Any reason you can't set both to manual, do your own analysis of the images being previewed, and send manual values to the API based on your calculations?

Granted it might mean the adjustments lag a bit more than those that Apple does internally, but at least it would provide some basic functionality. You may be able to separate the focus and exposure points too as some have asked for.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography