BMPCC GLIDECAM XXXX

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

alwaysreigning

BMPCC GLIDECAM XXXX

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Hey guys I recently purchased a Glidecam HD-2000 for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I am usually using a Voigtlander 24mm f.095 + SLR Magic 12mm T1.6, so it is not a heavy setup. I used it with decent results the past few days but can't help but think that I am really on the bottom end weight wise with my camera setup. Do you think the 1000 would have been a better fit? Any feedback would be great thanks!!
-D

Mark Jamerson

Re: BMPCC GLIDECAM XXXX

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 5:29 pm

If your running your camera bare with just the lens the HD-1000 would have been better. If you plan on adding a monitor, cage, shotgun mic. Stick with the HD-2000
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

alwaysreigning

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:01 pm

That is kind of what i was thinking. Thanks

Dennis Westhoff

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

If you have some weights left, just put them on the top of your setup.
This is how I've been using my GoPro on the Glidecam HD-2000

here is the result:
Attachments
P1160559.jpg
P1160559.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 8575 times

camouflage808

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 1:18 am

I'm using the HD-2000 since a few days ... works very nice for me with very decent results!
... I got it balanced in a few minutes, but to decide which "camera setup" to use, took me like an afternoon...
My Setup now is a BMPCC with a 8mm Kowa attached. The Skier Cage I use as "everyday-cage" is heavy enough to reach a good working weight for normal use without smooth shooter.
Sometimes I want to shoot longer takes or use different setups, like an external monitor with power supply, mounted microphone or PL-Mount lenses, ... so I decided to get the smooth shooter as well.

greetings
Camouflage
Attachments
bmpcc_glideHD2000.jpg
bmpcc_glideHD2000.jpg (87.64 KiB) Viewed 8367 times

dwayne

PostThu May 01, 2014 5:18 pm

trying to go as small as possible on the steady cam setup. hD-2000 is still over kill for the bmpcc... so tried the iglide modified, with the hd-2000 top and weights. perfect.

iglide.jpg
iglide.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 7997 times

Tony Lazzeroni

PostThu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Has anyone used the BMCC or BMPC4K on the HD-2000? I've seen a few videos, but I'm curious what the users think of that setup...
Tony Lazzeroni
www.CrowdedElevatorPictures.com

ssnomar

PostThu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm

dwayne wrote:trying to go as small as possible on the steady cam setup. hD-2000 is still over kill for the bmpcc... so tried the iglide modified, with the hd-2000 top and weights. perfect.

iglide.jpg

Have only used the Steadicam Merlin series before so I'm a bit confused.

The iGlide only holds cameras up to 400 grams right? Seems like BMPCC + lens would be over that limit and thus too heavy for the iGlide?

Also, what's the purpose of using the HD2000 top, wouldn't that make it too heavy considering the weight of the camera + lens ? Doesn't the original iGlide plate work with the BMPCC?

Looks great though. Very compact. Would love to get this for my camera.

dwayne

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I believe, the iglide as is, would be perfect for the gopro and iphone. (fixed lens)

If changing of lens is important when you shoot on the steady, and time is precious then the, iglide will suck.
The top adjustments on the iglide is a toy, it takes too long to adjust compared to the hd- series.(When I shoot people they always get impatient when the setup takes too long... bleh. ) So that 's why I changed the top to the HD series.

As long as you have enough weights to counter balance, the iglide would be ok. Hint, just go to a shop with your ideal camera setup and add weights on the iglide till it balances. Don't always trust the manual ;)

Jonny G.

PostFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

BigTony wrote:Has anyone used the BMCC or BMPC4K on the HD-2000? I've seen a few videos, but I'm curious what the users think of that setup...

I used my BMCC on my Glidecam HD-2000....it goes very well. The BMCC with the lens reach a nice weight and it can be nicely balanced.
I havent got any video handy but I will shoot something in the next days and post it up...

zool

PostSun Jun 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi guys,
I also have a Glidecam 2000 with BMPCC. My question is how are you guys framing shots? I literally can't see a thing when my shot is exposed correctly. Even with the screen brightness turned up to full. Even on overcast days. I didn't have this problem with my DSLR as the screen was brighter and I could tilt it slightly. How are you guys over coming this?

Thanks!

garrettgibbons

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 10:09 pm

zool wrote:Hi guys,
I also have a Glidecam 2000 with BMPCC. My question is how are you guys framing shots? I literally can't see a thing when my shot is exposed correctly. Even with the screen brightness turned up to full. Even on overcast days. I didn't have this problem with my DSLR as the screen was brighter and I could tilt it slightly. How are you guys over coming this?

Thanks!

Pray for a cloudy day. Other than that there isn't a ton you can do.

There really isn't a great way. The screen shade helps a tiny amount, but I'm looking at external SDI monitors with great screen brightness. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of the 4K camera for me.
http://garrettgibbons.com

Return to Cinematography