BMPC4k - Great Footage.... BUT Vertical Streaking/Banding

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matthew_Lawrence

Re: BMPC4k - Great Footage.... BUT Vertical Streaking/Bandin

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Well what do you need?
What do your clients need?
Do you need anything right now?

If you don't know the answers to those questions, then wait and see how things play out until you need something. It would be silly to buy a camera just to sit on it without any demand being generated.
Hell my own Pocket camera was bought specifically for a shoot which basically covered the whole expense (for a buddy for 2 days, so you can't charge 'em full rate) as well as with the specific purpose of getting my S16mm lenses working again. Were it not for those two events I'd've not bought anything.

Hell It took my years to pick up a DSLR as well (GH2) and I didn't until I had to.

Adrian, I think this is great advice and applies to me in my particular situation. I've decided to wait to see how this all plays out before committing to one of the Blackmagic MFT cameras as I currently don't have any jobs that demand a cinema camera right now. I'll just keep using my GH2 and learning in the meantime. Hopefully they will get any teething problems & issues fixed.

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 am

GH2 was a great little camera, especially when loaded up with "Moon" in my experience. I think I used 5 a lot.

Keep the money in the bank-- and look into companies like Lens Rental and borrow Lenses (.com on both) if you get gigs which need those cameras-- and you can finance out of pocket at first the rental for the camera and then pass that on to the client.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Colin Mayo

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 am

Hello all, newly joined here.
I'm having trouble understanding "correct exposure" talked about here. I hope you guys aren't meaning that the whole range in the frame should be lit at the stop level. I am currently waiting for arrival of my 4k camera, and this concept is troubling to me. While I am newer as a shooter, I have been lighting features for over 20 years, and many of our setups include a range from black shadows to blown out overexposed areas. Correct exposure doesn't really mean much to me, as we use a massive range of light intensity all the time. Are you saying that whatever is exposed correctly should look fine, but the areas in the frame that fall off to black will probably have vertical lines in it??
In my experience, any night interior/exterior scene will have drastically underexposed areas in the frame. Please don't tell me I can only shoot "high key" environments with this camera. If that's the case, it'll only be useful for comedies shot in the daytime?

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 5:22 am

For those of you saying that no other camera exhbits FPN...

If you have Netflix, go ahead and que-up THE LAST STAND (Shchwarzenegger) and let it roll through to the third
shot in the movie.

I don't know if that's Alexa or RED (might have been pick up shots) but that's a TON of FPN, in a major motion picture.

It's not only that one shot, but a few after that as well. I'm not all the way through the movie, but there you go.

Not saying it's okay, but I am saying that it exists, and most of the time it's posted out.

It also makes me realize (again) that a I'm guilty of harping about things that really don't keep me from doing anything at all.
Kholi Hicks

Matthew_Lawrence

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 8:27 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:GH2 was a great little camera, especially when loaded up with "Moon" in my experience. I think I used 5 a lot.

Keep the money in the bank-- and look into companies like Lens Rental and borrow Lenses (.com on both) if you get gigs which need those cameras-- and you can finance out of pocket at first the rental for the camera and then pass that on to the client.

Good advice. Thanks

Matthew_Lawrence

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 am

Kholi wrote:For those of you saying that no other camera exhbits FPN...

If you have Netflix, go ahead and que-up THE LAST STAND (Shchwarzenegger) and let it roll through to the third
shot in the movie.

I don't know if that's Alexa or RED (might have been pick up shots) but that's a TON of FPN, in a major motion picture.

I thought this was just compression artifacts cos of watching online. But then again my Internet speed is truly awful.

Theodore Prentice

PostThu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm

funny... user error..lol, ...yeah :roll:

Eugene Carter

PostThu May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:funny... user error..lol, ...yeah :roll:

What's up with all the self edited and deleted posts from Geoff Baxter on the first page?

Tom

PostThu May 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Eugene C. wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:funny... user error..lol, ...yeah :roll:

What's up with all the self edited and deleted posts from Geoff Baxter on the first page?

He started to receive threatening hate mail, he complained to the mods - even after he had strong evidence of who on here it was - but they were not prepared to do anything. So he decided it was not worth the hassle and wanted to leave and have his posts deleted. Leaving would not delete his posts so he tried to edit as much as possible to a blank state.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Theodore Prentice

PostThu May 22, 2014 4:37 pm

maybe he felt like cleaning up his image.. since name calling, etc is against froum rules

Kevin DeOliveira

PostThu May 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Kholi wrote:For those of you saying that no other camera exhbits FPN...

It's not only that one shot, but a few after that as well. I'm not all the way through the movie, but there you go.
Not saying it's okay, but I am saying that it exists, and most of the time it's posted out.

It also makes me realize (again) that a I'm guilty of harping about things that really don't keep me from doing anything at all.

If the FPN was not visible at the native iso, I would agree with you completely. Visible FPN at iso 400? No way is that passable. No client should have to ask why they are seeing vertical lines on their monitor.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com
Previous

Return to Cinematography