BMPCC for Riverside.fm recording

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Richard Burns

BMPCC for Riverside.fm recording

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 3:57 pm

I'm working on a doc. I want to set-up my subject computer, PC, with my Gen 1 BMPCC camera. I'll use Riverside.fm to record the interviews for many reasons. I'll light to room, mic him, etc... I can only get his time for about 20 min a day. I need a few hours.

Riverside can upload the camera's resolution to the cloud. I'm thinking of using my 2k or 4k bmpcc camera.

I looked at BM video assist which would work but feels like overkill. Not sure If I can just hook up either the 2k or4k bmpcc to the computer via HDMI. That won't work. Probably a USB connection into either the mac or pc. I also need the audio in the computer. I have a small mixer with stereo out I could use with mic in and stereo out the computer stereo in. Not sure that would work either.

What do I need to do? Thanks. Seems like the DR video assist is the best method. Which model? Or another similar device?

Jamie LeJeune

Re: BMPCC for Riverside.fm recording

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 am

In theory, any device that converts from HDMI to a USB connection that the PC will see as a webcam should work. The USB output on the Video Assist will do that well. There are also a ton of cheap HDMI to USB devices sold online that should do the job, but whether they are actually reliable, that's the risk. The Video Assist I have used many times to send the video signal into a laptop as a webcam and can confidently recommend it. One thing to be aware of is that on the 4K BMPCC, the HDMI output is always just HD 1920 x 1080 even when the camera is recording 4K/UHD internally.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Richard Burns

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 4:08 pm

Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus

BHPhoto recommended his capture device for $500. Again, the device can handle 4k in/out but you are saying the BMPCC outputs HD. Not need for this 4k device. I guess.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Richard Burns wrote:Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus. BHPhoto recommended his capture device for $500. Again, the device can handle 4k in/out but you are saying the BMPCC outputs HD. Not need for this 4k device. I guess.

Correct. As noted in the camera's user manual, the HDMI output is 1080p, at the same frame rate as the camera's currently set (project) frame rate. The camera's HDMI output also includes embedded 2-channel stereo audio. FYI: Some HDMI-to-USB capture devices always convert HDMI stereo to mono.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Blackmagic cameras which can output HDMI at 1080p or 2160p resolution are the current Studio cameras which have built-in 7" monitors.

Cheers.

Richard Burns

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:48 pm

I use Riverside all the time. I tried with my bmdpcc 2k and 4k. It doesn't work for 4k. I ended up buying a 4k Emeet web cam. That works really good. They have exposure control, saturation, white balance, contrast. Not that expensive either.

I wanted to use my 4K to have RAW files locally. I get that advantage but it was a huge hassle just to get HD.

I could be wrong. I think the Panasonic GH5 for 4k works not the GH4, I tried.

Return to Cinematography