NEW MOD - BMPCC 4k/6k Re-Invented

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

calebth125

NEW MOD - BMPCC 4k/6k Re-Invented

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 11:02 pm

Some of you may have seen Ollies amazing mod before on the forum, but now the kickstarter is official live! Having been lucky enough to play around with it I can say this seriously breaths new life into these cameras for our team. It might not be for everyone but i feel like it fixes some of the biggest pain points we've had using the pocket cameras.

HANDS ON with the new mod:

The kickstarter has officially launched and you can check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/podtech/bmpcc-4k-6k-mod-kit

PodTech Website: http://www.podtech.shop

Ryan Payne

Re: NEW MOD - BMPCC 4k/6k Re-Invented

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 2:45 am

Looks really solid! Love seeing the progression to the project.

I've always felt the design of the pocket line goes against the ethos, so this really does a whole lot to bring it in line.

robedge

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 6:13 am

Interesting. What are the options if you're thinking about mounting a microphone on the camera?
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

calebth125

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 7:06 pm

robedge wrote:Interesting. What are the options if you're thinking about mounting a microphone on the camera?

If you do a partial camera cage there is plenty of mounting options to either use a small magic arm or a right angle cold shoe adapter if you want the mic right side up. Otherwise a partial cage with a simple cold shoe to 1/4 20 adapter makes it super easy to side mount a mic too.

The coldshoe's on the back of of the monitor work fantastic for small RX units too if you are using lav mics.

robedge

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 7:23 pm

I'd suggest that people who want to know more about this first read the Kickstarter page and watch the two videos that the promoter, Ollie, has made, especially the one on what's involved in doing the modification. Ollie's videos are on his PodTech YouTube page. This is the one on the modification, which is fairly straightforward:

robedge

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 7:58 pm

I would like to see Ollie address two issues. First, why should potential purchasers not be concerned that the connection to the display is via an exposed ribbon cable? Secondly, can he show, perhaps via a video, how one goes about ensuring that the display doesn't get in the way of operating lenses on the camera?

Adam Langdon

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 11:05 pm

it's a really cool, well done mod for sure. I just can't see how it would improve much of the camera's functionality to warrant it, for me.
Like all cameras, I've learned to deal with what it can't do and focus on what it CAN do.
I'm swapping batteries many times, so I bring lots of extras. My screen already flips... so?

If I was constantly rigging up my Pocket, I'd consider this, but one of the ways the Pocket 6k Pro functions so well is being all-in-one, compact, body+lens solution. I don't need a monitor and if I'm doing a sit down interview I'm running off mains power.

How are you storing the camera? How do you protect the cable?
I'm not knocking the design, I think it's pretty cool. I just can't ever fathom myself using it.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

robedge

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 1:09 am

This modification reminded me of ProAv's video when the Pocket 4K was released five years ago. The modification might be great for someone who wants to shoot equipped in the minimal fashion shown in that video (below). I think that the main issue would be balancing the camera. For power, a smaller capacity Mini V-mount would help, or the battery could go on one's belt. A 50Wh Hawk-Woods Mini V-Lok that I have weighs 300g (10.5oz). Of course, balance would be less of an issue on a tripod or monopod.

ricardo marty

The Camera We've Dreamed Of Is Finally Here!

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Ric marty

this would be even greater if a higher nit monitor could be used. Im sure it would complicate things and make it more expensive.

the modder publisher in this forum some time back. hope ge can give an update.
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

robedge

Re: The Camera We've Dreamed Of Is Finally Here!

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 4:01 pm

The person who made the video that you've linked started a thread about this last week: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193808

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Tilta made that mod years ago. It's nothing new. That mod was part of the reason why Blackmagic made the Pocket 6K Pro.

robedge

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 1:02 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:Tilta made that mod years ago. It's nothing new. That mod was part of the reason why Blackmagic made the Pocket 6K Pro.

Actually, it's different from the Tilta modification, and involves two changes. It also appears to be quite easy to do. There's a link to a video showing how it's done in the earlier thread.

Greg Lee

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 am

Yeah, I’m getting this.

Michel Rabe

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 11:10 am

This is awesome.
A number of micro V-mounts hit the market the last years and should be perfect to power this or additionally on camera accessory like HD transmitters ect.

ShaheedMalik wrote:Tilta made that mod years ago.

Very different as this addresses the battery issue.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 7:18 am

I just saw the video on YT and this caught my interest and Ollie did a wonderful job with this mod. With the BMPCC 6K OG is no longer getting much attention and I still love using it, this mod revives the camera. I would get a V2 of this product. Why V2? I have 2 issues with its design and I hope Ollie is reading this. My big pet peeve is cutting, filing, drilling anything on the body and the ribbon cable requires some filing of the case. I’m fine we a ribbon cable but instead of running it through the case, it connects via a multi-pin that is on the V-mount top of the plate. Then the cable plugs to it and the rest of the connection happens behind the V-mount plate and into the camera.

Second, allow the camera power port still work even as a charger for the v-mount, but preferably and if possible be able to power the camera as well. At least give it some functionality to still be useful and not completely disable it.

I suggest the bezel for the monitor will allow for a sunshade too…. Something like the one that Smallrig sells for this camera models.

An observation is how sturdy is that hinges on the monitor especially if one hang things on the cold shoe. I do like the idea of the cold shoe.

Finally, Blackmagic, why can’t you work something out with Ollie, slap your name and CNC team build it and market it to BMPCC 4K and 6K OG owners? I think it’s like $300 on Kickstarter and if there are the fixes for a V2 as I hope for, it will surely be a good buy and I sold.

Regardless whether or not this materializes, I tip my hat to Ollie in making the BMPCC 6K OG what it should have been design in the first place. And that also satisfies my quench for waiting a BMD box camera.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

afrisch

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Finally, Blackmagic, why can’t you work something out with Ollie, slap your name and CNC team build it and market it to BMPCC 4K and 6K OG owners? I think it’s like $300 on Kickstarter and if there are the fixes for a V2 as I hope for, it will surely be a good buy and I sold.

It's a niche market at best... selling upgrades to a discontinued camera (P6K G1) or a model that will probably be superseded soon (P4K). Besides that, the support would be a nightmare for BMD with people trying to modify their camera and some messing up the delicates... they already have a tilting screen solution from the factory in 3 models.

Michel Rabe

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 11:55 am

Would kinda be like admitting that they screwed up design. Which they did and unfortunately continue to do.

BMD have the best interface design in the camera world and simultaneously some of the worst and most controversial body design for their small cameras. That crazy discrepancy is so difficult to grasp.

Adam Langdon

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 10:05 pm

The YouTubers certainly did a big hoopla about it. I'm still passing HARD on this.
Maybe I'm the ONLY Pocket camera user that hasn't had too much of a problem with batteries???
I'm constantly shooting handheld with either the 6k Pro or 6k FF and just plan on location power or bringing enough batteries to last (lowering the screen brightness, only keeping the camera on when needed, etc).

I understand the Pocket design. It's not for everyone. The OS is primarily touch-based so the screen needs to be a certain size. But you also need to grip the camera and have functional buttons at the ready, hence the layout. The Micro Cinema Camera was first "box" and trying to navigate that menu system was a nightmare without a touch screen. I feel like the Video Assist 2.0 will eventually have camera control and it would bring to life so many possibilities of smaller bodies and boxes that everyone apparently wants.

The Pocket 6k Pro was one of the best all-purpose cameras:
- Bright Screen
- Two Media types
- Internal NDs
- Flippable screen
But the 'drawbacks' were the EF mount and the crop factor.
I'm really enjoying the 6k FF and utilizing an array of lenses that I've had sitting around for years. AND I utilize the Ursa 12k for bigger shoots to lovely results.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 11:02 pm

EF mount was never a drawback. Crop factor is only a problem to people who don't shoot. Super 35 is the standard size in cinematography.

Mark Wyatt

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Good riddance to any EF mount.
www.wyattvisuals.com

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 10:12 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:EF mount was never a drawback. Crop factor is only a problem to people who don't shoot. Super 35 is the standard size in cinematography.

I think you need to separate EF mount from Super 35 when talking about drawbacks. Super 35 is not a drawback, but EF mount is not loved by many cinematographers who shoot Super 35. For example see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29253#p178686
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Adam Langdon

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 11:46 pm

both the Ursa 12k and the Pocket 6k's are considered s35.
BUT the Ursa 12k is 1.3x while the Pocket 6k's are 1.56x, and I strongly hold the opinion that lens choice plays a part WITH sensor size. My full frame lenses look great on all of my camera bodies (12k, 6kFF, 6kPro), but all of the lens character and depth that I can get on a subject looks different from camera to camera.

I'd take a Ursa-sized sensor over the Full Frame 6k when shooting a project, but I'd take the 6kFF over the 6kPro due to the depth I can get with the lenses I have.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 5:12 pm

It all depends on what lenses you have and want to use.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 5:39 pm

WHAT CAN YOU BUILD WITH THESE KITS?

Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

robedge

PostWed Jan 17, 2024 6:12 pm

E-mail today saying that the Kickstarter campaign was successful and explaining next steps:

Pod Mod Kickstarter.jpg
Pod Mod Kickstarter.jpg (165.52 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

robedge

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 2:48 pm

This morning, Ollie posted the video below on the status of the project. He says that he'll start shipping modification kits later this month.

If desired, purchasers will be able to hire a small New Jersey company called Kolari Vision to do their modification. Kolari is apparently an authorised Blackmagic dealer. It's best known for its modifications for infrared photography and related filters, but it has been expanding its portfolio of products. B&H is a Kolari dealer.

Details on the arrangement with Kolari: https://www.podtech.shop

The Kolari website doesn't have details yet, but this is its URL: https://kolarivision.com

Kolari's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@kolarivision1674/videos

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 4:16 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:EF mount was never a drawback. Crop factor is only a problem to people who don't shoot. Super 35 is the standard size in cinematography.

I think you need to separate EF mount from Super 35 when talking about drawbacks. Super 35 is not a drawback, but EF mount is not loved by many cinematographers who shoot Super 35. For example see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29253#p178686

Nothing is stopping them from converting to PL

robedge

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 4:04 pm

New e-mail on status:

mod.jpg
mod.jpg (218.4 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

Return to Cinematography