Which camera to go with?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Venomacid88

Which camera to go with?

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 7:16 am

I'm new to the whole camera scene. I'm learning to create characters for video games. Lighting is my main problem. I need to learn 3 point lighting. My mentor says there's really no substitution for the real thing. So I figured since I have the studio software of Davinci Resolve, I might a well go with one of their cameras as well.
Is there a Blackmagic recommended beginners/novice camera to go with?

Jim Simon

Re: Which camera to go with?

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 3:38 pm

If you have no lenses yet, the Pocket 4K would probably be your best option. You can get the camera and prime lens for about $1,500.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

robedge

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 3:53 pm

There are important differences between Blackmagic and hybrid cameras, and you don't say enough to indicate which is better for you. You also don't say what your budget is. The true cost of setting up any camera, and certainly a Pocket 4K or 6K, is commonly quite a bit higher than just the camera and a lens. It's important to cost out everything before you buy. If your budget requires it, you can also save money by purchasing at least some items second hand.

The first step is to make a list of everything that you need, which in your case would appear to include a good tripod, tripod head and lights.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 7:10 pm

Look up Rob Ellis on YouTube.

wemrick1

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 2:37 am

I know nothing about making characters for video games but for an entry level cinema camera it's hard to go wrong with the BMPCC 4K. I learned a lot with one. I have purchased other cameras since but the BMPCC 4K allowed me to learn enough to know what I was looking for. The features I needed and the ones that meant nothing for what I do. I still often use it on multi camera shoots.

Return to Cinematography