Blackmagic Camera App Audio Source bugs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bcchen30

Blackmagic Camera App Audio Source bugs

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 6:20 pm

I’ve encountered these issues many times causing the footage to have no audio.
When it does occur, it isn’t noticeable until I playback the footage or realize the audio meters aren’t moving.
By then I’ve already recorded many clips with no audio. I went nearly a whole day of recording without audio this time. I didn’t have time to playback and check the footage. When I finally realized it, it was too late. A whole day of footage ruined.

Bugs:
- The audio source switches to None randomly
- When connecting AirPods, the audio switches to AirPods but once I disconnect AirPods (by putting them in the case or turning off Bluetooth) the audio defaults to None sometimes. After disconnecting, sometimes it uses the iPhone mic but still says it’s using AirPods.

Device and Software Details:
Device: iPhone 15 Pro Max
iOS: 17.2.1
Blackmagic Camera app version: 1.2.10003

Solutions:
- Default to iPhone mic always when disconnecting from another audio source.
- Don’t automatically switch audio sources when connecting a device like AirPods or an external mic. Maybe have the optional toggle for automatically switching audio sources, but I would rather switch audio sources manually and intentionally rather than it switching without me knowing. When I connect AirPods, I often still want to use the iPhone mic. When I connect an external mic, I will explicitly and intentionally change the source to the external mic anyways to make sure it’s using that mic.
- Remove None as an option from the audio source. Why is none even an option… we can mute the audio in post anyways.

ilRasta

Re: Blackmagic Camera App Audio Source bugs

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am

It would be useful also to have audio monitoring in headphones, like on the moment app for example.

Sironfoot

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 1:05 am

Just registered to say this happened to me as well, it's caused me to loose audio in a bunch of recordings that were critical to the entire video project, I'm actually fuming and am just going to stop using Blackmagic Camera app as I can no longer trust it and go back to Filmic Pro (even though it looks abandoned and costs $50 a year). Sorry for the rant. :cry:

This isn't even an isolated incident. I wasn't using any external mics at the time, had recorded a bunch of video shortly before that had audio. I agree with Bcchen30, "None" shouldn't even be an option.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 9:19 pm

Give CinemaP3 a try. The author is actively developing it and it’s no subscription.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 11:28 pm

Sironfoot wrote:Just registered to say this happened to me as well, it's caused me to loose audio in a bunch of recordings that were critical to the entire video project... I'm actually fuming and am just going to stop using Blackmagic Camera app... I agree with Bcchen30, "None" shouldn't even be an option.

I've been using the Blackmagic Camera app for several months, and following discussions about it here and in its Facebook Groups. The fact that others aren't making your complaint raises a question about where the problem lies.

Pressing record without checking what your audio source is and whether it's engaged, which you have apparently done repeatedly, is blatant operator error. It's amazing that you and Mr. Chen think that the fix is to require the rest of us to record audio for every clip as a condition of using the app. Maybe the fix is adherence to basic operating technique.

It might also be a good idea to learn what Blackmagic Camera app Presets are. This is the feature that lets you implement your preferred settings, including for audio, at the press of a button.

presets.jpg
presets.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

robedge

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:31 am

Uli Plank wrote:Give CinemaP3 a try. The author is actively developing it and it’s no subscription.

Uli Plank wrote:If you want something without subscription, get Cinema P3. It has pretty good stills functions too.

Your bullet points are getting a little repetitive :)

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 4:10 am

Better like this?
:lol:
No "None" setting, and it stays on the internal mic when AirPods get connected. AirPods work for monitoring.
Audio_CP3.jpg
Audio_CP3.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Of course, one should always check the settings before recording. Computers sometimes do their own thing, and an iPhone is just a computer with a camera. Won't get better with AI ;-)

Disclaimer: I bought CinemaP3 with my own money.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

robedge

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 4:22 am

Uli Plank wrote:Better like this?

That's a demonstration of why one of Blackmagic's strengths is user interface.

Where's the page where users, including the two people who are complaining in this thread with your implicit endorsement, can create settings presets for different scenarios, including for audio inputs?

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 5:00 am

See below. Unfortunately, neither these nor those in BM Camera are treating the audio input settings reliably. You'll always have to double-check after changing connections. Maybe an iOS thing.
At least, there's no "None" setting ;-)
For further information: https://www.blackburnapps.com/cinemap3/help.php
Preset.jpg
Preset.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

robedge

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 5:15 am

Uli Plank wrote:See below.

Give me credit for finding out what Cinema P3 offers as a preset function before I asked the question. For the sake of your own credibility, don't suggest that that is worthy of the term.

After about four years of development, that app can't even break the top 100 App Store photo and video apps. The Facebook Group has a total of 149 members. For your part, you've started an entire thread on Blackmagic's forum dedicated to selling Tom Blackburn's app, on top of taking every opportunity to sell it in threads started by others.

In this thread, you've implicitly endorsed complaints about the Blackmagic Camera app without making any effort to analyse whether the complaints make any sense. You said nothing about the preset feature that could help solve their problem. It's just another excuse to recycle your sales pitch. And what's the pitch? In part, it's telling people that the app doesn't require a subscription, while saying nothing about the fact that it costs US$12.00. This is used car salesman stuff, not one filmmaker talking to another.

Why don't you join the Cinema P3 Facebook Group and try to breathe some life into it.

Sironfoot

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 am

robedge wrote:
I've been using the Blackmagic Camera app for several months, and following discussions about it here and in its Facebook Groups. The fact that others aren't making your complaint raises a question about where the problem lies.

Pressing record without checking what your audio source is and whether it's engaged, which you have apparently done repeatedly, is blatant operator error. It's amazing that you and Mr. Chen think that the fix is to require the rest of us to record audio for every clip as a condition of using the app. Maybe the fix is adherence to basic operating technique.

presets.jpg

Setting the audio source to None requires several taps through the app’s menu and can in no way be done accidentally, so I’m 100% confident it’s not user error on my part. There’s a 3 min gap between the last recording that had audio and the remaining clips that had no audio. Nothing happened in that 3 minutes other than me trying to line up the next shot. Also there’s at least 2 people here having the same problem's.

At least I know now I need to keep an eye on the audio meter, or maybe rely on external mics.

kfriis

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm

Sironfoot wrote:Just registered to say this happened to me as well, it's caused me to loose audio in a bunch of recordings that were critical to the entire video project, I'm actually fuming and am just going to stop using Blackmagic Camera app as I can no longer trust it and go back to Filmic Pro (even though it looks abandoned and costs $50 a year). Sorry for the rant. :cry:

This isn't even an isolated incident. I wasn't using any external mics at the time, had recorded a bunch of video shortly before that had audio. I agree with Bcchen30, "None" shouldn't even be an option.

As Uli Plank suggest: Try Cinema P3 Pro.

Cheaper than FiLMiC, and in some ways more reliable, than the BlackMagic Camera App. If you absolutely need IEEE float audio, Cinema P3 is no solution - maybe, that will change in the future, who knows?

I have experienced periodic more or less spurious audio problems with BMC, cause not investigated thoroughly due to lack of time, but the “None” audio input selection has been involved in most cases too. It’s a royal PITA, when it happens ;-)

With external recording, allowing sustained high speed ProRES 422HQ HLG 25 fps (my requirements), I usually prefer Apple Camera due to sheer reliable simplicity. If limited storage or speed is involved, I use the h265 20 or 40 MB/s for the same material on Cinema P3 Pro.

I believe Cinema P3 is looking into providing 4:2:2 in HLG with h265 in the future (currently only in Log), but when that will actually be implemented is anyone’s bet. For many use cases h265 40MB/s setting delivers very impressive results - on external media for hours on end on my iPhone 15 Pro.

Cinema P3 has a far better preset system, than Blackmagic Camera App, and a few other setting options, that neither Apple nor Blackmagic support. Whether you need them at all, I’m in no position to say. I don’t need the more “creative options” personally. YMMV.

You decide, but FiLMiC is probably not the best alternative in all cases.

Regards

robedge

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 pm

kfriis wrote:
As Uli Plank suggest: Try Cinema P3 Pro [etc, etc].

Ahh, it's the other half of the Bobbsey Twins. Why stop there? Say what you really think:

kfriis wrote:
It's time to give Blackmagic Camera a thorough overhaul - or deregister the App.

That's from your February 24th post when you proclaimed about the five month old Blackmagic Camera app:

ProRES 422LT does NOT play back

Only problem is, it wasn't true. Even your pal Uli felt constrained to point out to you that he was having no such difficulty. It was just you going off half-cocked again, complete with big red letters and underlining :)
Last edited by robedge on Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

robedge

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 10:56 pm

Sironfoot wrote:
At least I know now I need to keep an eye on the audio meter...

Good. That's what it's there for, along with the headphones that you should be wearing.

td484!

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 am

Sironfoot wrote:Just registered to say this happened to me as well, it's caused me to loose audio in a bunch of recordings that were critical to the entire video project, I'm actually fuming and am just going to stop using Blackmagic Camera app as I can no longer trust it and go back to Filmic Pro (even though it looks abandoned and costs $50 a year). Sorry for the rant. :cry:

Registering and posting for the first time to report that this bug occurred for me as well. We were doing extremely fast paced run-and-gun shooting all weekend, and 1/5 of the way through shooting, the audio source setting seems to have arbitrarily reset from iPhone microphone to “None”. At no time was the microphone source setting even opened! At all times, the levels were indicating that audio was present, but the setting was reverting to “none” and no audio was being recorded.

Needless to say, this led to an entire ruined weekend of shooting, along with wasted money for flights, food, etc.

I managed to duplicate this issue- it seems to intermittently occur when a phone call comes in, and sometimes if AirPods are connected or disconnected. At this point, the entire production team has transitioned away from the Blackmagic Camera App until some more concrete evidence emerges to indicate that this bug has been fixed.

I’m anticipating the inevitable snarky comments, “oh you should have checked and reviewed your footage”. We DID, for the first 2 hours of shooting, and everything seemed fine. But as many of you may be aware, the realities of shooting in an extremely fast paced environment made that less doable later in the weekend.

In short, just very frustrated that such a basic bug has been present for so long without even being acknowledged by the Blackmagic Camera app team. I agree with the above posters, just remove “none” as an option. If you don’t know how to mute the audio of a clip in post, you shouldn’t be using this app anyway.

What an absolute embarrassment for Blackmagic design. Reliability issues like this seriously tarnish their reputation.

kfriis

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 pm

td484! wrote:

Registering and posting for the first time to report that this bug occurred for me as well. We were doing extremely fast paced run-and-gun shooting all weekend, and 1/5 of the way through shooting, the audio source setting seems to have arbitrarily reset from iPhone microphone to “None”. At no time was the microphone source setting even opened! At all times, the levels were indicating that audio was present, but the setting was reverting to “none” and no audio was being recorded.

Needless to say, this led to an entire ruined weekend of shooting, along with wasted money for flights, food, etc.

I managed to duplicate this issue- it seems to intermittently occur when a phone call comes in, and sometimes if AirPods are connected or disconnected. At this point, the entire production team has transitioned away from the Blackmagic Camera App until some more concrete evidence emerges to indicate that this bug has been fixed.

I’m anticipating the inevitable snarky comments, “oh you should have checked and reviewed your footage”. We DID, for the first 2 hours of shooting, and everything seemed fine. But as many of you may be aware, the realities of shooting in an extremely fast paced environment made that less doable later in the weekend.

In short, just very frustrated that such a basic bug has been present for so long without even being acknowledged by the Blackmagic Camera app team. I agree with the above posters, just remove “none” as an option. If you don’t know how to mute the audio of a clip in post, you shouldn’t be using this app anyway.

What an absolute embarrassment for Blackmagic design. Reliability issues like this seriously tarnish their reputation.

I can confirm the problem.

It happens out of the blue - even an hour or more after starting takes without any connected or selected external microphones. Sometimes - in my case - only one of many takes is affected. But…

I wouldn’t rely on luck, when we’re talking “non-repeatable”, maybe even “once in a lifetime”, situations and takes. Especially family gatherings, travel to far away places etc.

Regards

P.S. It also happens, when no phone calls arrive, and when Focus “Do Not Disturb” is active for the App. No timers or alarms defined on the iPhone 15 Pro either (my iPhone 12 Pro is used for actual, real life management - an expensive solution to Apples limitations on “do not disturb” ;-)

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

kfriis wrote:I can confirm the problem.

See the post four above on this person's call for the Blackmagic Camera app to be “thoroughly overhauled” or “deregistered" on the basis of a claim that had no factual basis whatever.

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm

td484! wrote:Registering and posting for the first time to report that this bug occurred for me as well.

As far as I know, the three incidents raised in this thread are the only complaints about this issue on the internet. There don’t appear to be any in the four Facebook Groups on filming with phone cameras, three of which focus on the iPhone and the Blackmagic Camera app. Of the three people who have made complaints, you are the only one who claims that the app showed that your audio was being recorded when it wasn’t.

I am pretty surprised that you flew a “production team” to a filming destination for a two day shoot and used the phone’s internal microphones to record all of the audio - audio that was so important that the failure to record it made the entire shoot a waste of time and money.

By your own account, you made no effort to confirm that your audio was being recorded after the first two hours, not even at the start of the second day. It sounds like you were also using the phone to make and/or receive phone calls, and were connecting and disconnecting AirPods. You call raising these kinds of issues “snarky”. I call it pointing out a failure to apply common sense. If a location sound recordist/mixer did what you were apparently doing he’d be fired on the spot for incompetence. Apparently you don’t think sound is important enough to have a competent sound person on your “production team”. Your response to this experience is not to rethink that, but to blame an app. Okey doke.

If there’s a problem, it needs to be fixed. That said, there’s reason to believe that the three complaints may have their root in operator error. At a minimum, the problems were the result of a failure to follow basic procedures. As a user of the app who regularly sets audio to “none”, I am not interested in Blackmagic removing that option to protect people who lack common sense. If there’s an actual issue here, it isn’t even clear whether that would fix the problem.

kfriis

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

robedge wrote:
td484! wrote:Registering and posting for the first time to report that this bug occurred for me as well.

As far as I know, the three incidents raised in this thread are the only complaints about this issue on the internet. There don’t appear to be any in the four Facebook Groups on filming with phone cameras, three of which focus on the iPhone and the Blackmagic Camera app. Of the three people who have made complaints, you are the only one who claims that the app showed that your audio was being recorded when it wasn’t.

I am pretty surprised that you flew a “production team” to a filming destination for a two day shoot and used the phone’s internal microphones to record all of the audio - audio that was so important that the failure to record it made the entire shoot a waste of time and money.

By your own account, you made no effort to confirm that your audio was being recorded after the first two hours, not even at the start of the second day. It sounds like you were also using the phone to make and/or receive phone calls, and were connecting and disconnecting AirPods. You call raising these kinds of issues “snarky”. I call it pointing out a failure to apply common sense. If a location sound recordist/mixer did what you were apparently doing he’d be fired on the spot for incompetence. Apparently you don’t think sound is important enough to have a competent sound person on your “production team”. Your response to this experience is not to rethink that, but to blame an app. Okey doke.

If there’s a problem, it needs to be fixed. That said, there’s reason to believe that the three complaints may have their root in operator error. At a minimum, the problems were the result of a failure to follow basic procedures. As a user of the app who regularly sets audio to “none”, I am not interested in Blackmagic removing that option to protect people who lack common sense. If there’s an actual issue here, it isn’t even clear whether that would fix the problem.

Unless you're an official spokesperson for Blackmagic and privy to ALL information regarding Blackmagic Camera App, you're ONLY stating your personal opinion.

Your personal OPINIONS, does NOT in any way invalidate other persons experiences, and your lack of experience cannot in way count against an actual existence of a specific problem. Periodic problems have a nasty habit of being hard to prove, but often leads to nay-sayers having a hard time to accepting error of view at a later time. Any software developer can testify, that periodic errors are hard to track down, but bullying "messengers" certainly does not help.

You're entitled to prefer the existence of the "None" option (for microphones), but there is ample reasons for removing the option altogether, as suggested by the still "non silenced" minority (?).

The major and straightforward reason being, that if "None" is selected (by accident, error or caused by a bug), there is NO way to recover the audio, but you can always remove audio in post, that should not have been present. No amount of bullying alters that fact.

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm

kfriis wrote:
Unless you're an official spokesperson for Blackmagic and privy to ALL information regarding Blackmagic Camera App, you're ONLY stating your personal opinion.

Thanks for stating the obvious :)

I see that your post does not take issue with any statement of fact in mine, which among other things says “If there’s a problem it needs to be fixed".

kfriis

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:51 pm

robedge wrote:
kfriis wrote:

Thanks for stating the obvious :)

I see that your post does not take issue with any statement of fact in mine.

Let me put it in another way:

In a private message on March 19, 2024 I wrote:

I made 48 video sequences with the Blackmagic settings ProRES422LT and using internal microphones, hand held. 25fps HLG.

I made 45 Apple ProRES 422HQ videos too. Same conditions. 25 fps HLG.

All during the Chingay Parade 2024 in Singapore.

One of the Blackmagic sequences recorded that evening were recorded without any audio. Completely random. Without any settings alterations. No clue as to any reason.

I experienced several sequences, where Blackmagic decided NOT to "autofocus", and in a few cases, it was not possible to force refocusing. If stopped immediately and started again, focus usually worked from get go or within a few seconds. Below ten sequences, but still... a few valuable moments were lost on that account.

Lens switching is not advisable in any situation. Content is affected severely.

None of these "side effects" were experienced with the Apple App. Lens switching was smoooothee as expected. No side effects, whether x0.5,x1, x2 or x3 was selected, and whether short or long steps were used. Only hand holding "jitter" could sometimes affect a shift to x3 lens for a short moment, but that's only to be expected. My old hands are no tripods ;-)

All Apple App use cases in sequence. All Blackmagic use cases in later sequence. All sequences were "remaining and not initially rejected" sequences.

I had neither any time nor any wish to fiddle with settings. Constantly inspecting made takes during a live parade were simply out of the question.

I had two hours to collect my material, shot around 90 minutes in total (some were deleted outright in post for one obvious reason or other - not even checking presence of audio) and ended up with 75 minutes of material needing further evaluation, before inclusion into a 9:30 duration report.

Since a new Blackmagic Camera version probably would be presented around NAB, I decided, that I simply hadn’t the stomach to fight the accusations and downright offending language of “that Rob Edge guy” (a quote - I'd use stronger language). So... maybe you're the actual reason, that few reports end up in threads, you seem to "dominate".

The version 1.3, seems to still be plagued by the “None” periodic bug.

I haven't experienced the bug in version 1.3, but that does not mean, it is not present. I haven't used the Blackmagic Camera App for serious projects since Singapore. For a reason. So... lack of use, may restrict discovery of bug. Not the same as the periodic bug not existing.

Any, even the slightest glimmer of an option to track down the critter based on existing material and actual detailed description of use circumstances surrounding the "bug" are long gone or have been forgotten, whether it would have helped or not.

We will never know.

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

kfriis wrote:lack of use, may restrict discovery of bug. Not the same as the periodic bug not existing.

Any, even the slightest glimmer of an option to track down the critter based on existing material and actual detailed description of use circumstances surrounding the "bug" are long gone or have been forgotten, whether it would have helped or not.

We will never know.

In other words, you’ve never reported the alleged audio bug to Blackmagic or on this forum, and you don’t know whether one exists or not.

What we do know is that your many complaints about the Blackmagic app included a call for the app to be “thoroughly overhauled” or “deregistered”, and that that call was based on a claim that was completely baseless.

I see that you’re now endorsing the idea that Blackmagic should force users of the app to record audio regardless of whether they want to or not. Okey doke.

kfriis

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

robedge wrote:
kfriis wrote:lack of use, may restrict discovery of bug. Not the same as the periodic bug not existing.

We will never know.

In other words, you’ve never reported the alleged audio bug to Blackmagic or on this forum, and you don’t know whether one exists or not.

What we do know is that your many complaints about the Blackmagic app included a call for the app to be “thoroughly overhauled” or “deregistered”, and that that call was based on a claim that was completely baseless.

I see that you’re now endorsing the idea that Blackmagic should force users of the app to record audio regardless of whether they want to or not. Okey doke.

You can’t have it both ways.

Either you shut up, when people report their problems in the “bugs tread”, or fewer problems probably get reported. Simple as that. Not my problem, but potentially a problem for Blackmagic.

Your treatment of the two guys reporting about missing audio, did not sound to me, like you were interested in - maybe - establishing the possible cause for any bugs. On the contrary.

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm

kfriis wrote:You can’t have it both ways.

Either you shut up, when people report their problems in the “bugs tread”, or fewer problems probably get reported. Simple as that. Not my problem, but potentially a problem for Blackmagic.

Your treatment of the two guys reporting about missing audio, did not sound to me, like you were interested in - maybe - establishing the possible cause for any bugs. On the contrary.

Now you’re being repetitive. The post that you’re criticising contained the following, perfectly clear statement:

If there’s a problem it needs to be fixed.

I pointed this out to you in a two sentence post four up. I guess that you found that inconvenient, because when you responded three posts up, and “quoted” me, you omitted the entire second clause of this sentence:

I see that your post does not take issue with any statement of fact in mine, which among other things says “If there’s a problem it needs to be fixed".

Return to Cinematography