iPhone 15 PM x5 zoom in BMC app show objects out of focus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tal133

iPhone 15 PM x5 zoom in BMC app show objects out of focus

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 pm

Hi

Issue drives me nuts. I already re-installed the app twice and confirmed this happening only in the BlackMagic Camera app - the iPhone's default camera app shows no focus issues in x5 optical zoom.

No matter which setting or config change I tried, as well as autofocus or manual focus, the app shows blurry objects. This is for nighttime or a dimly lit room (PC monitor and a desk lamp).

The manual focus in the BMC app is set on 0.0 which is the most focused state of the objects it can have though it's still quite blurry and out of focus, and setting it to different, higher, setting makes the object even more blurry.

The app struggles and cannot cope with the x5 zoom.

Seem like a major bug since the iPhone camera app shows no issues, same for some grains in the image.

see attachments for how the object is shown in the BMC app and in the iPhone camera app.
Attachments
iPhone 15 PM camera vs BMC app x5 zoom.zip
iPhone desktop snapshots when using default app vs. using the BMC app
(254.19 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Uli Plank

Re: iPhone 15 PM x5 zoom in BMC app show objects out of focu

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 1:48 am

Not a bug, but Apple is cheating. The 5x lens can only close focus to about 1.3 m. While BM's app sticks to that lens and won't focus when you are too close, Apple is switching lenses without even telling you.

There are photographic apps like Halide which will tell you exactly what's going on.

The 3x on the iPhone 15 Pro can close focus to 0.6 m, BTW.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography