REC/stop trigger via SDI

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tieske123

REC/stop trigger via SDI

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 1:27 pm

Hi there.

I have an Atomos Shogun 7 inch field monitor.
I wonder if its possible that my ursa mini 4.6k can do a record/stop trigger via sdi ?

Is that possible.

Thanx in advance

Tieske123

Re: REC/stop trigger via SDI

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 7:50 am

Nobody knows ?

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 4:32 pm

You need to ask Atomos.

Tieske123

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 4:51 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:You need to ask Atomos.

No this is pure Blackmagic related.
Can ursa mini send out REC/stop by sdi ?

jallen0

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 5:12 pm

It doesn't work that way. Atomos ( or any other device ) needs to be able to recognize an incoming video stream and then turn on. The Blackmagic hyperdecks work this way.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Tieske123

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm

jallen0 wrote:It doesn't work that way. Atomos ( or any other device ) needs to be able to recognize an incoming video stream and then turn on. The Blackmagic hyperdecks work this way.

The Atomos can handle It by sdi trigger there is an option in the Atomos for. Thats is what they are ment for.

jallen0

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 8:14 pm

Tieske123 wrote: The Atomos can handle It by sdi trigger there is an option in the Atomos for. Thats is what they are ment for.

Atomos also states that the trigger you select is "manufacture specific". A) That means it's up to Atomos to support it and B) Atomos will never support anything from Blackmagic...and Blackmagic will never support anything from Atomos.

You have the wrong equipment combination to so what you want.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

Tieske123

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 9:03 pm

jallen0 wrote:
Tieske123 wrote: The Atomos can handle It by sdi trigger there is an option in the Atomos for. Thats is what they are ment for.

Atomos also states that the trigger you select is "manufacture specific". A) That means it's up to Atomos to support it and B) Atomos will never support anything from Blackmagic...and Blackmagic will never support anything from Atomos.

You have the wrong equipment combination to so what you want.

Its not true. A friend of my has a BMPCC4k and can trigger record on the Atomos Ninja via HDMI

Is my Ursa mini 4.6 not able to send a REC protocol via the sdi out ?

jallen0

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 pm

My guess is that your friend is using the REC RUN option vs a flag that Atomos can see. I suggest you reach out to Atomos directly and ask them if they support Blackmagic's signals.
Desktop Video 12.1

Tieske123

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 2:04 pm

I am one step closer. The sdi output does send the record and stop signal to my Atomos.
It works. But haha
It only works as there is a cfast card in my Ursa mini.
So if I take out the cfast card the sdi signal doesnt put the signal out anymore

So only with a cfast care in it. It Will record on 2 places now.

Any thoughts about it ?

John Brawley

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:12 pm

The SDI record flag does carry on BMD SDI signals. I use it all the time.

Sometimes some other equipment can strip it out. Some of the early Teradek video transmitters didn’t pass the flag.

And yes. How would the camera be recording if there is no card in the camera to record too?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tieske123

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 pm

John Brawley wrote:The SDI record flag does carry on BMD SDI signals. I use it all the time.

Sometimes some other equipment can strip it out. Some of the early Teradek video transmitters didn’t pass the flag.

And yes. How would the camera be recording if there is no card in the camera to record too?

JB

The camera doesnt have to record. My field monitor can record on ssd disks.
However when I press record on the Ursa the field monitor is recording but this only works when a cfast card is in the Ursa.
So now its recording in the cfast card and ssd drive on my field monitor.
I only want the field recorder to record but when I take out the cfast card in the Ursa the record signal over sdi Will not trigger my field monitor recorder anymore

jallen0

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 pm

John, Thanks for correcting me. I had asked this question to BMD tech support a few years ago and they said it did not. I also had no luck with it at the time so I have just assumed it wasn't there.

To the OP, sorry for the misinformation.

John, would you say that all cameras only put out the SDI camera only while recording?
Desktop Video 12.1

John Brawley

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 5:23 pm

Tieske123 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:The SDI record flag does carry on BMD SDI signals. I use it all the time.

JB

The camera doesnt have to record. My field monitor can record on ssd disks.
However when I press record on the Ursa the field monitor is recording but this only works when a cfast card is in the Ursa.
So now its recording in the cfast card and ssd drive on my field monitor.
I only want the field recorder to record but when I take out the cfast card in the Ursa the record signal over sdi Will not trigger my field monitor recorder anymore

That’s how SDI works.

Why would it send a RECORDING flag downstream if it wasn’t recording? Because pushing the button and having no media in the camera would mean it’s NOT recording.

What you want is for the camera to trigger a remote recorder without recording internally. I don’t know of any camera that can do that.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 5:26 pm

jallen0 wrote:John, Thanks for correcting me. I had asked this question to BMD tech support a few years ago and they said it did not. I also had no luck with it at the time so I have just assumed it wasn't there.

To the OP, sorry for the misinformation.

John, would you say that all cameras only put out the SDI camera only while recording?

Any camera that uses SDI correctly. It’s a SMPTE standard after all. It also a one way stream, there’s no communication between devices.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ ... _interface

Maybe with HDMI you could do something but someone would have to come up with that standard and then implement it.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography