Which lens mount should I invest, PL or L-mount?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GB_Austin

Which lens mount should I invest, PL or L-mount?

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 7:06 pm

Long term lenses, which mount should I choose, - Pl mount or L-mount?

I have an USRSA 12k with PL mount, ...and a BMPCC6k FF is en route, that's L-mount.

The Ursa 12k and the (Tokina 50-135mm ) lens are married. Since its only Super 35.
It never comes off unless I swap to a shorter lens, ( DZOfilm 25mm)
The combo of those to lenses gets me what I need.

But the BMCC6k FF will need a lens. And I plan to run it on a gimble and I'm strongly looking at
Nisi Athena 35mm in PL ...or in L-mount. And this camera will stay on a gimbal, either on location
or on the desk pointing at me talking.

If I decide to ever sell the Ursa 12k to get away from Super35, and if Blackmagic comes out with t second camera in Full-Frame.... Should I be investing in PL only or L-mount only. Adapters go both ways but, people seem to love the Sigma PL to L-mount adapter on the BMCC6k.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

SalopFilms

Re: Which lens mount should I invest, PL or L-mount?

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 7:57 pm

PL

zareone

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 9:20 pm

I'd say, for any manual cine lens, PL, since it'll be compatible with many mirrorless mounts.

If you need some autofocus, electronic lens for the FF, then either native L-mount or EF with an adapter

I may be missing some important use case, so... just my 2 cents

GB_Austin

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 11:20 pm

Yea, PL is very solid and will adapt to other mounts probably better than an L-mount lens going into PL.
You both are probably right in that PL is the better long-term lens mount.

I've had a lot of wiggle on my lenses causing focus motors to fall off the track, probably cause I was using cheaper PL adapters. -Probably should buy the Sigma PL -> L-mount adapter, everyone seems to like ...rather than the cheaper ones that might flex.

I have a BMCC6k FF, and If Blackmagic decided to make another Full-Frame camera in L-mount
..I'd consider selling the Ursa 12k ..meaning I'd have made the wrong choice in going with PL lenses. It's a rough, choice.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 am

GB_Austin wrote:Yea, PL is very solid and will adapt to other mounts probably better than an L-mount lens going into PL..

I've had a lot of wiggle on my lenses...

If you have the option of using rails, then a lens support affixed to the adapter should cure that.

... It's a rough, choice.

You may not have one camera that covers all use cases. Having the BMCC6K on the gimbal may argue in favour of a native L-mount compatible lens. Particularly a wider lens focal length or wide to normal zoom

But for other use cases, I like the PL that you’ll always be able to adapt to any cinema camera.
Rick Lang

GB_Austin

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 am

Answered all my points very well, Rick!

I WAS leaning to having the BMCC6k FF staying fixed on the gimbal, always married to an L-mount lens.

I had been using a SLR magic PL lens with their PL to CE mount on the BMPCC6k. That whole system is gone for me to afford the FullFrame 6k. And I think going with a better PL adapter like the one from Sigma will be rigid enough for motors to stay on track.

Plus, I do have so many rails and spare parts around here.
... I could configure something small for run and gun,
...or have it spend some time hanging from my EZrig, when I want it to be lighter than the Ursa 12k.
...or have it on the DJI RS3 gimbal that I changed for dual handles, much shorter now also and is so much easier to control.

It all seems so clear, now. ....PL mount lenses for the win!
Thanks, everyone.
..gary in austin, tx

Return to Cinematography